Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6116 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: GMAT Verbal - has it evolved? [#permalink]
I agree with AjiteshArun that verbal questions don't change much. Have you practiced questions on OG books? I think that OG books provide the best match questions to the real test, so you could get familiar with any kinds of questions that may be asked in actual test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Standardized test changes very little over a short span of time. GMAT also recognize that Real test scores may differ by 30 points. So the drop in score though is unexpected but not impossible.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi tanv4u,

First off, both a 710 and a 690 are fantastic scores (they're both right around the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

All of that having been said, these two Official Scores are remarkably similar to one another. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability, so these results imply that you handled your two Official GMATs in the same general ways. You do lots of things consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. If you do plan to retest (and again - that's probably not necessary), then you really have to 'nit-pick' your work to define WHY you get questions wrong and what aspects of your studies did not properly 'match up' with what you faced on Test Day.

As an example, you mentioned a bunch of CATs that you took in which you scored 730 to 760. When you took your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your replies. Yes, now that I think of it it was not the verbal questions, just probably my pacing issues. I think I have hit a roadblock with my scores though. Also I agree when I took the GMAT preps, I saw repeat questions and this might have been a cause for inflated scores. A repeat might not be necessary but since I have time before R1 I might just give it another shot!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also can any experts help analyze my ESRs for both scores?It would be the greatest help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
tanv4u wrote:
Also can any experts help analyze my ESRs for both scores?It would be the greatest help.
Just put your ESRs up here or message the people you have in mind. My immediate suggestion to you would be for you to work on your quant, because your verbal is way better than your quant (Q47=65%, V38=85%, V40=91%).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2852 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
tanv4u wrote:
So i recently gave GMAT for a second time and scored a 690 (Q47 V38). This came as a huge shock to me as I have previously written the GMAT have scored a 710 (Q47 V40).My aim was a 740+ this time. In fact, verbal is my strength and I was pretty confident of getting a 44 or so as was being indicated by my practice mocks (GMAT prep)which were mostly in the range of 730 to 760. Well I must admit I was very nervous before and during the exam as the stakes were so high as I had studied a lot for this.I was also a bit sleepy. But even then, the kind of questions that I encountered in SC and CR were very alien.I have read the Manhattan SC book thoroughly twice and the Powerscore CR also. Yet I was facing difficulties and had to guess between two similar choices often.I am assuming this caused the drop in my verbal score. Quant was purely nerves and pacing issues.Anyway anybody has any insights on the latest SC and CR types questions asked in GMAT. I feel the prep questions are pretty dated.I have used up the default GMAT prep and exam pack 1. What study material/tests do you people suggest to get acquainted with the new question types as I am pretty sure that something has changed in the SC/CR trends but can't pinpoint exactly what.

Hi tanv4u,

A standardised tests such as GMAT do not change much so you do not have anything to worry about there.

As for verbal, if you are looking for some great practice go for the e-gmat Scholaranium. The e-gmat Scholaranium is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas. Further to improve your score, taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Club Bot