Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bherronp wrote:
I got an email from Stanford last night inviting me to an info session via the GMASS system. I wish Stanford was a gmat whore.... Although with all the 760s, 770s, 780s and 790s that have been posted lately, I am no longer particularly special.

Yea I received the same mail, was really excited then I thought better of it. Still, it made me feel better at least until I got the comments on my Wharton essays...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Looks like Stanford doesnt like me right from the word go. How come I dont get these emails ? I thought my 760 was good enuff but after seeing these posts, I feel I have underperformed. I am thinking abt retaking the test
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
um, I have a 760 and I'm perfectly happy with it... even with all the 770-790's here.

You have to remember, this forum is NOT a good representation of the real world.... statistically less than a fraction of a percent of people get over 760...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There is just no way in hell Stanford is sending these emails to high GMAT scorers only. And I don't think anybody even claimed that in the previous posts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was disappointed with my 740 at first cause I knew I could do better and saw a bunch of people get 770s right around the time I took mine. I am fine with it since in reality I am not competing against most them and 740 is still at the upper end of the 80% range of all schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
that's the right attitude river! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
It seems to be this site has an amazingly strong Indian population. Since so many of them have gotten 750+ they tend to motivate each other to do even better. I am sure as a whole they are not representative of their demographic but they give people who visit that perception.

You guys need to take very generic americanized screennames so we wont know your Indian then it wont add to that view as being the most academically well qualified demographic. Something related to nascar, jeeps, baseball, football, beer, you know all those things everyone in the world pictures when thinking of Americans would work well. You Know Junior8, Packers-n-Bud, Jeep-Bro or something like that.

Then add an avatar with a picture similar to this.

This would give more than just the other Indians the feeling they need to improve on their 720s. You put something like this on here and say you got a 770, then I bet everyone will feel the need to get an 800.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
LOL River! Haha... I guess my username sounds Eastern European then ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
LOL River! Haha... I guess my username sounds Eastern European then ;)

For some reason this is how I picture you on your way to the first day of classes Kry...

I would love to see an applicant from Kazakhstan show up to an interview with a mustache and hair like Borat...I don't think anyone would forget them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I actually was about to post the same thing. For some reason, I picture Kryzak as an Eastern European as well ;-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Based on experience dahcrap- give it a couple of weeks from your exam date before you start getting "spammed" with all sorts of emails from schools. I think for some reason, there is a lag between the time you take the exam and the time you start getting solicited.

dahcrap wrote:
Looks like Stanford doesnt like me right from the word go. How come I dont get these emails ? I thought my 760 was good enuff but after seeing these posts, I feel I have underperformed. I am thinking abt retaking the test
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
dosa_don wrote:
I actually was about to post the same thing. For some reason, I picture Kryzak as an Eastern European as well ;-)

me too
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
LOL! Haha, I kinda wish I were unique like that! ;)

But yes, Kryzak is a Polish or Czech last name... as I found out. ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I received a viewbook and invitation letter from Tuck this week, it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling :lol:. Too bad the GMAT score isn't nearly enough to get me an automatic admit there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
It seems to be this site has an amazingly strong Indian population. Since so many of them have gotten 750+ they tend to motivate each other to do even better. I am sure as a whole they are not representative of their demographic but they give people who visit that perception.

You guys need to take very generic americanized screennames so we wont know your Indian then it wont add to that view as being the most academically well qualified demographic. Something related to nascar, jeeps, baseball, football, beer, you know all those things everyone in the world pictures when thinking of Americans would work well. You Know Junior8, Packers-n-Bud, Jeep-Bro or something like that.

Then add an avatar with a picture similar to this.

This would give more than just the other Indians the feeling they need to improve on their 720s. You put something like this on here and say you got a 770, then I bet everyone will feel the need to get an 800.

do i detect some disdain towards North American culture? Your disrespect is offensive... I don't drink beer, watch nascar, or drive a jeep, etc.. etc.. so your distorted world view seems based too much on a redneck stereotype. you based you argument on an unrepresentative sample. sorry river ripper, you failed that AWA/CR question (LOL). regardless, if that is someone's culture who are you to judge?

if you do not care for North American culture, by all means get your MBA at INSEAD or some top Indian University (do any exist?).

BTW would you like it if someone posted that when most of the world thinks of India, we think of foul smelling folks, an over crowded toxic waste land littered with industrial waste, and brainless code slinging drones who are happy to live in abhorable filth that even the poorest homeless denizens of the first world would not even tolerate?

Nope. Didn't think so. BTW, I have some desi friends and live in an area with lots of desi's here on work visas. I do not agree with the statement above and always try to respect other people's culture. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. So please, stay out of my country. I never understood why people migrate to other countries to gripe and whine about their culture... just stay put and don't travel if you can't deal with culture shock.

I'm off to tutor some Indian guy now. He got his B.Com in India and is a Network Engineer. Poor sap scored a 20 Q on his last CAT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Heh. Sorry, this discussion seems to be veering down a nasty path.

Honestly, I did not find river's post offensive, but before we start arguing against and flaming each other, I am going to lock this thread. There are no possible positives that can come from it anymore.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Heh. Sorry, this discussion seems to be veering down a nasty path.

Honestly, I did not find river's post offensive, but before we start arguing against and flaming each other, I am going to lock this thread. There are no possible positives that can come from it anymore.

ncprasad,

I don't think locking forums with heated discussions will solve the underlying problem, which is learning how to be polite and mindful of other people feelings. I'm sure river didn't mean to be offensive but something about his post offended anony. Clearly, we just need to learn how to be more sensitive. That said, I am unlocking this forum with a warning for all users to be nice towards each other.

Nervous
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7