It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Although the industrial union organizat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Although the industrial union organizat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 05:19
1)
PARA 1: Elizabeth Faue's
... the role of women within unions reflected the prevailing gender ideology of the period..
.. women were marginalized by union bureaucratization..

PARA 2 : Nancy F. Gabin
..Nancy F. Gabin also acknowledges the pervasive male domination...

A – Inclusion of women could be attributed to non discrimination and inclusion policies but we can not infer that both ladies(E.F and NG) agreed on this point. Nowhere mentioned in the passage. – Eliminated
B – importance of unions at community level – again not mentioned in passage.
C- according to the passage –
” Faue stresses the importance of women’s contribution to the development of unions at the community level”
“Nancy F. Gabin also acknowledges the pervasive male domination in the unions, but maintains that women workers were able to create a political space within some unions to advance their interests as women”
But there is no mention of establishment of union – Eliminated
D – Both acknowledged pervasive male domination and women where marginalized. So it suggests that women played a subordinate role.
E – Interests of women workers were not compatible – Nowhere mentioned in the passage.

Hence D is correct.

2)
A. It prevented women from making significant contributions to the establishment of industrial unions

The passage says 'to which women's contributions were so vital' and 'Faue stresses the importance of women's contribution to the development of unions'. This clearly shows that women actually did contribute, nothing prevented them from doing so.

B. It resulted from the marginalization of women in Industrial unions

The passage says 'unions reflected the prevailing gender ideology of the period'. That means that the gender ideology existed before the unions did so it couldn't have resulted from the marginalization of women in industrial unions. In fact, it's probably the opposite - the marginalization of women resulted from the gender ideology.

C. It had a significant effect on the advancement of women's issues within industrial unions

Like I mentioned above, the passages suggests that gender ideology caused the marginalization of women in industrial unions. The passage states 'the community base [women] ...became increasingly irrelevant to unions' institutional life'. The industrial unions marginalized the women and their issues as they began to view them as irrelevant - you can infer that this is because of the prevailing gender ideology. The 'significant effect' is that gender ideology actually prevented the advancement of women issues. Thus the passage implies that the gender ideology negatively affected the way women's issues were treated and thus had a significant effect on the advancement of women's issues within industrial unions.

D. Its primary tenets were nondiscrimination and inclusion

Gender ideology is the exact opposite. The tenets of the industrial unions 'embraced the principles of nondiscrimination and inclusion'. The passages uses 'although' in the same sentence to suggest a contrast in the way they actually did treat issues and further states that 'the role of women... reflected the prevailing gender ideology' - the complete opposite of its tenets.

E. Its effects were mitigated by the growth of industrial unions

the passage states 'as unions reached the peak of their strength in the 1940s, the community base that had made their success possible and to which women's contributions were so vital became increasingly irrelevant to unions' institutional life.' This shows that as the unions grew, the way they viewed women and their issues became worse or irrelevant.

I probably wouldn't focus on the word women's issues - the purpose of industrial unions is to address and support issues of the industrial workers. The first passage is shows how gender ideology affected how women were viewed in industrial unions. A natural byproduct would be the way their issues were viewed and treated as well. In addition, the second passage implies that the viewpoint in the first paragraph is that women weren't really able to advance their interests through this statement: 'but maintains that women workers were able to create a political space within some unions to advance their interests as women.'

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 855

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 46

GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 23:46
4.41 and all correct
I'm just wondering why GMAT so loves articles covering the role of women in the development of different aspects of social, political, and economic life...

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 12:19
Hello

I want to review my opinion on question 2. still I am not able to convince myself that option C is correct , let me explain my reasoning, from the given extract

Although the industrial union organizations that emerged under the banner of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) in the 1930s and 1940s embraced the principles of nondiscrimination and inclusion, the role of women within unions reflected the prevailing gender ideology of the period. Elizabeth Faue's study of the labor movement in Minneapolis argues that women were marginalized by union bureaucratization and b

I have underlined the sentence that will help in answer question 2, The sentence start with Although so definitely going to contrast the sub-clause right? the first clause after Although talk about embraceing the principles of nondiscrimination and inclusion , which is positive thing so after comma i expected the negative the thing.

The clause after Comma talk about prevailing Gender Ideology, and even after this sentence there is an example of women Marginalization so how can gender ideology will convey so positive fact about women as in answer option C
Prevailing ideology i believe was that they still had discrimination at that time as the next example follow-
Please tell why my understanding is wrong

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 30

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 01:17
Time taken : 5 mins. 44 sec.
Got question #2 wrong. Misunderstood what option C meant. :(

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 06:48
manishkhare wrote:
1D 2C 3C(Incorrect)

Total time :3 minutes 13 seconds

Regards,
Manish Khare

I can guarantee that u can solve a CR within 20 seconds, I bet

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 126

Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Although the industrial union organizat   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2017, 06:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Although the industrial union organizat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap