It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Citing the fact that the real gross

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Citing the fact that the real gross [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2016, 08:35
12 min taken :cry: Lot of time spent on initial reading.
2/4 correct.
1 C
2 D
3 E (Incorrect)
4 A (Incorrect)

Q3) The question ask about an inference about What journalist stated.
I choose option A. This wrong because it is just restating what journalist said. So this is not and inference (a possible answer could be a paraphrased option about what journalist states

E. Is correct because it is telling use that Journalist failed to consider historical evidence about US economy.
"Some journalists have argued that the United States economy performed ideally in 1997. However, the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before; it falls only during recessions. One point these journalists overlooked is that in 1997, as in the twenty-four years immediately preceding it...."
Then provides another point that why Journalist overlooked in the past between 1874 - 1974.

Q4) The author of the passage asserts that "the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before" (see highlighted text) most probably in order to
A. show that a fact cited in support of a claim is inaccurate. Incorrect
In fact the author of the passage never contradicts the the Journalists' fact that in 1997, the real GDP was higher than before. He confirms that indeed the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before. So that fact in support of the claim that the US economy was stronger than ever is actually accuarate.

C. show that a fact cited in support of a claim does not prove the claim. Correct!.
By providing historical evidence, the author of the passage shows that the fact cited by journalists is irrelevant and doesn't prove the claim.

I got stuck between A and C; finally choose A, but I was wrong. As stated above, I know now the reasons.

Thanks

Rumi

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Citing the fact that the real gross [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 12:54
Time taken: 7mins 15 seconds; All correct :twisted: :lol:

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 53

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 07:44
9 min 27 sec all correct. can anyone suggest me a way to increase my speed am taking 4 min to understand the passage. :) thank you

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 07:52
Nightmare007 wrote:
9 min 27 sec all correct. can anyone suggest me a way to increase my speed am taking 4 min to understand the passage. :) thank you

Well I m no pro at this; but looking for a RC Strategy is like a hunt in the wild. There are soo many tactics which work for various people; not all could work for you. What you could do is to engage into the passage from the getgo. Thats the strategy I use. I try to do one thorough read trying to grasp as much as I could while noting important aspects such author tone, author point of views, contrasting words used to define or counter an opinion, etc. After this read I should be comfortable with central idea of the passage and handful of important info which are critical from Author's perspective. For the later, even if you can point out in the passage where these critical aspects are mentioned, you are good to go. Rest is POE and reading carefully. Once obviously has to revisit the passage for specifics.

Hope this helps.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 07:57
TheMechanic wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:

Well I m no pro at this; but looking for a RC Strategy is like a hunt in the wild. There are soo many tactics which work for various people; not all could work for you. What you could do is to engage into the passage from the getgo. Thats the strategy I use. I try to do one thorough read trying to grasp as much as I could while noting important aspects such author tone, author point of views, contrasting words used to define or counter an opinion, etc. After this read I should be comfortable with central idea of the passage and handful of important info which are critical from Author's perspective. For the later, even if you can point out in the passage where these critical aspects are mentioned, you are good to go. Rest is POE and reading carefully. Once obviously has to revisit the passage for specifics.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. i normally do the same i think i need more practice as i hardly did 20-30 Passages, I was in a wrong conception that my method of approach was wrong. Thanks for filling it up . :) .

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 58

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 13:33
Nightmare007 wrote:
TheMechanic wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. i normally do the same i think i need more practice as i hardly did 20-30 Passages, I was in a wrong conception that my method of approach was wrong. Thanks for filling it up . :) .

I second that but engaging is better than taking notes for me :)

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 58

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 146

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 08:04
Skywalker18 wrote:
Total time is 8 mins 50 seconds , including 2 mins 10 seconds to read the passage .
-The author presents a claim made by some journalists about the GDP of the United States in 1997
- The author then evaluates whether the claim is a valid claim or not

1 . evaluating an argument concerning the performance of the United States economy in 1997
Answer C

2. “the real GDP per capita grew nearly one-half percent a year more slowly than it had on average between 1873 and 1973"
The above excerpt exactly matches option (D) and is hence correct.

“ However, the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before; it falls only during recessions. One point these journalists overlooked is that in 1997, as in the twenty-four years immediately preceding it, the real GDP per capita grew nearly one-half percent a year more slowly than it had on average between 1873 and 1973"

The above shows that the journalists failed to consider the real GDP per capita in 1997 within a historical context. Hence option (E) is the right answer choice.

4. C. show that a fact cited in support of a claim does not prove the claim

Hi Skywalker,
WRT to the passage, can you kindly explain the answer of the 4th question. I marked option A and failed to understand what's exactly option c is trying to convey
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprep-cha ... 76223.html

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 09:34
Can someone kindly explain the answer of the 4th question.

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2053 [0], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 20:13
sunny91 wrote:
Can someone kindly explain the answer of the 4th question.

Quote:
4. The author of the passage asserts that "the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before" (see highlighted text) most probably in order to
A. show that a fact cited in support of a claim is inaccurate
B. show that a fact cited in support of a claim actually contradicts the claim
C. show that a fact cited in support of a claim does not prove the claim
D. explain why a fact cited in support of a claim is relevant to the claim
E. explain how the proponent of a claim selected a fact cited in support of the claim

Quote:
Citing the fact that the real gross domestic product (GDP) per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before, some journalists have argued that the United States economy performed ideally in 1997. However, the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before; it falls only during recessions.

Some journalists have argued that the US economy performed ideally in 1997. Those journalists base their argument on the fact that real GDP per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before. The author does not dispute this fact. The author does, however, dispute the conclusion drawn by the journalists based on that fact.

The author of the passage responds to the journalists' argument by stating that real GDP is almost ALWAYS higher than ever before. In other words, unless there is a recession, the real GDP continues to grow. This growth does not necessarily mean that the economy is getting better. Thus, just because real GDP per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before does NOT necessarily mean that the economy performed better than it ever has.

This fits with choice (C): "The author of the passage asserts that 'the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before' most probably in order to (C) show that a fact cited in support of a claim does not prove the claim."

The fact cited is that real GDP per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before, and the claim is that the US economy performed ideally in 1997.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2053 [0], given: 465

Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Citing the fact that the real gross   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2017, 20:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Citing the fact that the real gross

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap