Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]

Send PM
Re: Citing the fact that the real gross domestic product (GDP) per capita [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Question 3

Kai10 wrote:
Could anyone please explain why Q3 answer (A) is incorrect?

3. It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is the reason that the author faults the journalists referred to in highlight text?

(A) They believe that the real GDP per capita in 1997 was higher than the real GDP per capita had ever been before.

Before we take a look at why (A) is not the correct answer to this question, have a look at this post and this post for breakdowns of the passage that are relevant to this question.

Now take a look at (A) for question 3:
Quote:
(A) They believe that the real GDP per capita in 1997 was higher than the real GDP per capita had ever been before.

The author doesn't FAULT the journalists for saying this, he/she actually AGREES with them, as you can see by this bit of the passage:

...the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before; it falls only during recessions.

What the author does is disagree with the conclusions the journalists take from this fact -- this is what is in the rest of the passage.

Since the author does not criticize the journalists for stating that the real GDP per capita in 1997 was higher than the real GDP per capita had ever been before, (A) cannot be the correct answer.

Compare this to (E):
Quote:
(E) They fail to consider the real GDP per capita in 1997 within an appropriate historical context.

As explained in the posts linked above, the key thing to notice in this passage is just because the real GDP was higher in 1997 than ever before does NOT necessarily mean that the economy performed better than it ever has. The journalists are criticized because they didn't look at the entire picture (i.e. historical context). They looked at one piece of data and jumped to a conclusion -- this is why (E) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: LBS '23
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V34 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Citing the fact that the real gross domestic product (GDP) per capita [#permalink]
Kudos
Confusing passage struggled with it. Any strategies?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
riyaagarwal wrote:
Confusing passage struggled with it. Any strategies?

The links given below might help you

https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic300886.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic301219.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic302904.html

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 262
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
sunny91 wrote:
Can someone kindly explain the answer of the 4th question.

Quote:
4. The author of the passage asserts that "the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before" (see highlighted text) most probably in order to
A. show that a fact cited in support of a claim is inaccurate
B. show that a fact cited in support of a claim actually contradicts the claim
C. show that a fact cited in support of a claim does not prove the claim
D. explain why a fact cited in support of a claim is relevant to the claim
E. explain how the proponent of a claim selected a fact cited in support of the claim

Quote:
Citing the fact that the real gross domestic product (GDP) per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before, some journalists have argued that the United States economy performed ideally in 1997. However, the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before; it falls only during recessions.

Some journalists have argued that the US economy performed ideally in 1997. Those journalists base their argument on the fact that real GDP per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before. The author does not dispute this fact. The author does, however, dispute the conclusion drawn by the journalists based on that fact.

The author of the passage responds to the journalists' argument by stating that real GDP is almost ALWAYS higher than ever before. In other words, unless there is a recession, the real GDP continues to grow. This growth does not necessarily mean that the economy is getting better. Thus, just because real GDP per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before does NOT necessarily mean that the economy performed better than it ever has.

This fits with choice (C): "The author of the passage asserts that 'the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before' most probably in order to (C) show that a fact cited in support of a claim does not prove the claim."

The fact cited is that real GDP per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before, and the claim is that the US economy performed ideally in 1997.

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja

I picked C for this question, but was tempted by Choice B as well during the test. My ultimate reason for choosing C over B was that the author's comment about the increase in Real GDP does not CONTRADICT the claims of the journalist. Rather it just explains how the impact is muted given that the Real GDP almost always increases. Am I on the right track with my thinking here? Thank you
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 4

UserMaple5 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
sunny91 wrote:
Can someone kindly explain the answer of the 4th question.

Quote:
4. The author of the passage asserts that "the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before" (see highlighted text) most probably in order to
A. show that a fact cited in support of a claim is inaccurate
B. show that a fact cited in support of a claim actually contradicts the claim
C. show that a fact cited in support of a claim does not prove the claim
D. explain why a fact cited in support of a claim is relevant to the claim
E. explain how the proponent of a claim selected a fact cited in support of the claim

Quote:
Citing the fact that the real gross domestic product (GDP) per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before, some journalists have argued that the United States economy performed ideally in 1997. However, the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before; it falls only during recessions.

Some journalists have argued that the US economy performed ideally in 1997. Those journalists base their argument on the fact that real GDP per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before. The author does not dispute this fact. The author does, however, dispute the conclusion drawn by the journalists based on that fact.

The author of the passage responds to the journalists' argument by stating that real GDP is almost ALWAYS higher than ever before. In other words, unless there is a recession, the real GDP continues to grow. This growth does not necessarily mean that the economy is getting better. Thus, just because real GDP per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before does NOT necessarily mean that the economy performed better than it ever has.

This fits with choice (C): "The author of the passage asserts that 'the real GDP is almost always higher than ever before' most probably in order to (C) show that a fact cited in support of a claim does not prove the claim."

The fact cited is that real GDP per capita was higher in 1997 than ever before, and the claim is that the US economy performed ideally in 1997.

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja

I picked C for this question, but was tempted by Choice B as well during the test. My ultimate reason for choosing C over B was that the author's comment about the increase in Real GDP does not CONTRADICT the claims of the journalist. Rather it just explains how the impact is muted given that the Real GDP almost always increases. Am I on the right track with my thinking here? Thank you

Yes, you're on the right track!

The journalists use the fact about the higher-than-ever GDP to conclude that the US economy "performed ideally" in 1997.

The author attacks this chain of logic, saying that the GDP is almost ALWAYS higher than ever. He/she's essentially saying, "So what? There's nothing special about 1997, because that fact is true in most other years as well."

It's entirely possible that, to say that the economy is "ideal," you DO need the GDP to be higher than ever -- the author just thinks that this one fact isn't a particularly high bar to meet. So, it wouldn't be accurate to say that the author think the fact contradicts the journalists' conclusion.

(C) is a much better fit -- the author's point is that the GDP fact doesn't do much to prove that 1997 was an "ideal" year.

You can eliminate (B), and (C) is the correct answer to question 4.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts