It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 12:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPREP ChallengeQ - Ethnohistoric documents from sixteenth-century M

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 916

Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ - Ethnohistoric documents from sixteenth-century M [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 21:20
the inference question, here the first one, test our ability to understand an information exactly. we need to infer relevant information from a sentence or two. choice A and E are close. but if we understand the information exactly, we can eliminate A.

in contrast, global questions which focusing on understanding passage structure are more easy. we find our relevant information from our understanding of global structure.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ - Ethnohistoric documents from sixteenth-century M [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 17:53
arnabs wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

actually, i think the answer to the first question should be A, and i did cross check the same with a few other forums. The reason being, what these documents intend to portray is the central idea here. Nowhere, neither in the first paragraph nor in the subsequent paragraphs does it state about any misinterpretations that might follow after "MODERN DAY READERS" read these documents. Its all about historians then and historians now.

Secondly, its explicitly mentioned on the last line of the first paragraph, " Thus, the ethnohistoric record conspires with Western culture to foster the view that women's production was not central to the demographic, economic, and political structures in sixteenth-century Mexico."

i mean this is what we are supposed to do, right? find out what these documents intend to show up.
if women were not central to any of those activities mentioned above, it means they were not a part of any of these important activities.

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks.
Answer to 1st question must be A not E.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1060 [0], given: 88

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 11:31
sevenplusplus wrote:
arnabs wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

actually, i think the answer to the first question should be A, and i did cross check the same with a few other forums. The reason being, what these documents intend to portray is the central idea here. Nowhere, neither in the first paragraph nor in the subsequent paragraphs does it state about any misinterpretations that might follow after "MODERN DAY READERS" read these documents. Its all about historians then and historians now.

Secondly, its explicitly mentioned on the last line of the first paragraph, " Thus, the ethnohistoric record conspires with Western culture to foster the view that women's production was not central to the demographic, economic, and political structures in sixteenth-century Mexico."

i mean this is what we are supposed to do, right? find out what these documents intend to show up.
if women were not central to any of those activities mentioned above, it means they were not a part of any of these important activities.

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks.
Answer to 1st question must be A not E.

Hi sevenplusplus,

1. The author of the passage would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements about the documents mentioned in the first sentence of the passage?

Ethnohistoric documents from sixteenth-century Mexico suggesting that weaving and cooking were the most common productive activities for Aztec women may lead modern historians to underestimate the value of women's contributions to Aztec society. Since weaving and cooking occurred mostly (but not entirely) in a domestic setting, modern historians are likely to apply to the Aztec culture the modern Western distinction between "private" and "public" production.

A. They contain misleading information about the kinds of productive activities Aztec women engaged in. -- Incorrect -- the documents themselves did not have misleading information, but the way the information is interpreted by modern historians might be misleading.
E. They contain information that is likely to be misinterpreted by modern-day readers. - Correct

Hope that helps!! :-)

All correct in 7 mins 20 seconds , including almost 4 mins to read.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1060 [0], given: 88

Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ - Ethnohistoric documents from sixteenth-century M   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2017, 11:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

GMATPREP ChallengeQ - Ethnohistoric documents from sixteenth-century M

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap