Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5095 [176]
Given Kudos: 289
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [27]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4585 [9]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [4]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: In a new book about the antiparty feeling of the early political leade [#permalink]
Kudos
e
PiyushK wrote:
Here is another question associated with above passage:

Which of the following, if true, provides the LEAST support for the author's argument about commerce and political parties during Jackson's presidency?

(A) Many supporters of Jackson resisted the commercialization that could result from participation in a national economy.
(B) Protest against the corrupt and partisan nature of political parties in the United States subsided during Jackson's presidency.
(C) During Jackson's presidency the use of money became more common than bartering of goods and services.
(D) More northerners than southerners supported Jackson because southerners were opposed to the development of a commercial economy.
(E) Andrew Jackson did not feel as strongly committed to the classical ideals of leadership as George Washington had felt.

Author's argument about J's presidency is: During J's presidency, commerce became important. (I know this is vague approximation). - So, something happened which made commerce important. Let's see what was that.
A - If they resisted commerce, then commerce would not have become important during J's time. - So least support.
B - If the protests against corrupt (money) decreased, then commerce became important. (no resistance to commerce.)
C - If money became imp. then so did commerce.
D - Irrelevant.
E - If true, means J was modern, so more commerce.

ANS = A.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In a new book about the antiparty feeling of the early political leade [#permalink]
Interesting passage , took a lot of time to solve 4th question , still got it incorrect :cry:
10 mins , including 3 mins to read

- antiparty feeling of the early political leaders of the United States - classical conception of leadership
- commercial forces - profit-making, its self-interestedness, its individualism--became the enemy of these classical ideals
- classical conception of leadership was incompatible with our modern notion of the freedoms of speech and press

B. describing and analyzing an argument about the early history of the United States

2 . " Although Ketcham does not picture the struggle in quite this way, he does rightly see Jackson's tenure (the seventh presidency) as the culmination of the acceptance of party, commerce, and individualism."
Answer E

3. " the classical conception of leadership was incompatible with our modern notion of the freedoms of speech and press, freedoms intimately associated with the legitimacy of opposing political parties."
Answer D

5. Ketcham is so strongly committed to justifying the classical ideals, however, that he underestimates the advantages of their decline.
Answer C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Another question from this passage:

The author of the passage would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements about Ketcham?

a) He overemphasizes the influence of classical ideals on the first six presidents of the US.
b) He fails to recognize that classical ideals has little influence on politics in the US.
c) He does not pay adequate attention to the negative aspects of the first six presidents' commitment to classical ideals.
d) He inaccurately suggests that classical ideals gave rise to our modern notion of democracy.
e) He underestimates the effect of ideology other than the humanist tradition on the first six president.

OA: C

I narrowed it down to A & C but ended up choosing A which was incorrect. I picked it because the passage says "Even during the first presidency (Washington's), however, the classical conception of virtuous leadership was being undermined by commercial forces that had been gathering since at least the beginning of the eighteenth century." So that's why thought that Ketcham had "overemphasized the influence of classical ideals" even since the first president.

In hindsight, I understand why C is correct but not clear enough for me to make the distinction on the actual test. Can you better explain why C is correct and how I can avoid picking an answer like A?

Thanks!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vyshak wrote:
Hi souvik101990 ,

Can you please break down this passage for me. I found the 2nd paragraph very tough to understand and relate it to the questions asked.

Can I do this please? :-D

Paragraph 1: One person differentiates how first six presidents differed decisively from others. It then describes those differences.

Paragraph 2: It says their leadership concept was undermined by some forces. Then it discusses how the 7th presidency on wards the changes were seen. And the negative impacts of new things(e.g. nonpartisanship lost its relevance, the culmination of the acceptance of party, commerce, and individualism.). Then at the end author said "NO Dude, you are overemphasizing those classical ideas. There were some benefits as well." Then at the end he gives an example to prove his point.

I hope it makes sense. Feel free to reach out in case of any concern. :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
Hi souvik101990 ,

Can you please break down this passage for me. I found the 2nd paragraph very tough to understand and relate it to the questions asked.

Can I do this please? :-D

Paragraph 1: One person differentiates how first six presidents differed decisively from others. It then describes those differences.

Paragraph 2: It says their leadership concept was undermined by some forces. Then it discusses how the 7th presidency on wards the changes were seen. And the negative impacts of new things(e.g. nonpartisanship lost its relevance, the culmination of the acceptance of party, commerce, and individualism.). Then at the end author said "NO Dude, you are overemphasizing those classical ideas. There were some benefits as well." Then at the end he gives an example to prove his point.

I hope it makes sense. Feel free to reach out in case of any concern. :)

Nice work, abhimahna!

Yes, the first paragraph explains that the first six presidents embraced the classical conception of leadership and the antiparty values inherited from the classical humanist tradition.

The second paragraph then explains how, since at least the beginning of the eighteenth century, the values and ideals embraced by the first six presidents were being undermined by the forces of commerce, which stressed profit-making, self-interestedness, and individualism. The decline in the values embraced by the first six presidents culminated in the tenure (or "term") of the seventh president, Jackson.

The author believes that Ketcham is too strongly committed to justifying the classical ideals upheld by the first six presidents -- and that Ketcham therefore fails to consider the advantages of the decline of those classical ideals.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [2]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
overdrive28 wrote:
Time: 8min 23 sec

Although if someone could explain Q2 in detail ?

Quote:
Q2
It can be inferred that the author of the passage would be most likely to agree that modern views of the freedoms of
speech and press are
A) values closely associated with the beliefs of the aristocracy of the early United States
B) political rights less compatible with democracy and individualism than with classical ideals
C) political rights uninfluenced by the formation of opposing political parties
D) values not inherent in the classical humanist tradition of eighteenth-century England
E) values whose interpretation would have been agreed on by all United States Presidents

Refer to the last sentence: "the classical conception of leadership was incompatible with our modern notion of the freedoms of speech and press, freedoms intimately associated with the legitimacy of opposing political parties."

This specifically tells us that modern views of the freedoms of speech and press are not compatible with the classical conception of leadership, which falls under the umbrella of the "classical humanist tradition of eighteenth-century England." Thus, the author would most likely agree that modern views of freedoms of speech and press are "values not inherent in the classical humanist tradition of eighteenth-century England" (D).
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [5]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
asthagupta wrote:
Could someone please tell why option A is incorrect for first question?

Quote:
Q1 The passage is primarily concerned with
(A) describing and comparing two theories about the early history of the United States
(B) describing and analyzing an argument about the early history of the United States
(C) discussing new evidence that qualifies a theory about the early history of the United States
(D) refuting a theory about political leadership in the United States
(E) resolving an ambiguity in an argument about political leadership in the United States

The passage does discuss two different types of leadership: the classical conception of leadership (embraced by the first 6 presidents) and the party system (embraced by Jacksonians), but it does not discuss two theories about the early history of the United States. Instead the passage only discusses Ralph Ketcham's argument ("that the first six Presidents differed decisively from later Presidents because the first six held values inherited from the classical humanist tradition of eighteenth-century England"). The author of the passage describes and analyzes Ketcham's view, pointing out the argument's strengths and weaknesses.

Thus, choice (B) is a better answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
Interesting passage , took a lot of time to solve 4th question , still got it incorrect :cry:

- antiparty feeling of the early political leaders of the United States - classical conception of leadership
- commercial forces - profit-making, its self-interestedness, its individualism--became the enemy of these classical ideals
- classical conception of leadership was incompatible with our modern notion of the freedoms of speech and press

B. describing and analyzing an argument about the early history of the United States

2 . " Although Ketcham does not picture the struggle in quite this way, he does rightly see Jackson's tenure (the seventh presidency) as the culmination of the acceptance of party, commerce, and individualism."
Answer E

3. " the classical conception of leadership was incompatible with our modern notion of the freedoms of speech and press, freedoms intimately associated with the legitimacy of opposing political parties."
Answer D

5. Ketcham is so strongly committed to justifying the classical ideals, however, that he underestimates the advantages of their decline.
Answer C

Hi Skywalker18 :-)

i was wondering if note taking helps during RC ? :? i tend to miss important details. for example q.#2 i answred incorrectly cause i missed important information , but once i answred i could find correct answer in the tesxt. is it lack of concentration or attention to details ? :)

thanks ! :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [1]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:

Answer E

Answer D

Answer C

Hi Skywalker18 :-)

i was wondering if note taking helps during RC ? :? i tend to miss important details. for example q.#2 i answred incorrectly cause i missed important information , but once i answred i could find correct answer in the tesxt. is it lack of concentration or attention to details ? :)

thanks ! :)

dave13, there's a section in the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners called "So what about note-taking?". See if that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
New Question from the passage.

Which of the following best describes the attitude of the first six Presidents toward political parties as it is discussed in the passage?

A) Political parties were essential to the notions of democracy on which the United States government was based.

B) Personal character in leadership was as important as affiliation with a political party.

C) Political parties were one way to ensure that government could meet the needs of all citizens.

D) Political parties, though undesirable, were inevitable in a democratic political system.

E) Political parties represented opposing political interests rather than the general public good.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, EducationAisle, generis

Quote:
5. The author of the passage would most likely to agree with which of following statements about Ketcham?

(A) He overemphasizes the influence of classical ideals on the first six Presidents of the United States.

(B) He fails to recognize that classical ideals had little influence on politics in the United States.

(C) He does not pay adequate attention to the negative aspects of the first six Presidents??? commitment to classical ideals.

(D) He inaccurately suggests that classical ideals gave rise to our modern notion of democracy.

(E) He underestimates the effect of ideologies other than the humanist tradition on the first six Presidents.

Quote:
Ketcham is so strongly committed to justifying the classical ideals, however, that he underestimates the advantages of their decline.

What makes A incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
JarvisR wrote:
Time taken 13 mins. Is it bad? <Updated time:10 mins>
1. The passage is primarily concerned with
Argument first descibes the era of earlier leadership (first 6 presidents) .
From second para, it introduces the changes in the system since the era of later Presidents.Finally, it mentions it views on the pros and cons of both the eras.

2. According to the passage, the author and Ketcham agree on which of the following points?
A. The first six Presidents held the same ideas about political parties as did later Presidents in the United States.
B. Classical ideals supported the growth of commercial forces in the United States.
C. The first political parties in the United States were formed during Van Buren's term in office.
D. The first six Presidents placed great emphasis on individualism and civil rights.
E. Widespread acceptance of political parties occurred during Andrew Jackson's presidency.
>> For me it was between C &E. C is wrong bec arg says that Party found legal status but that doesn't mean they weren't formed before that.

3. It can be inferred that the author of the passage would be most likely to agree that modern views of the freedoms of speech and press are
D. values not inherent in the classical humanist tradition of eighteenth-century England
"the classical conception of leadership was incompatible with our modern notion of the freedoms of speech and press, freedoms intimately associated with the legitimacy of opposing political parties."

4. Which of the following, if true, provides the LEAST support for the author's argument about commerce and political parties during Jackson's presidency?
A. Many supporters of Jackson resisted the commercialization that could result from participation in a national economy.
"he does rightly see Jackson's tenure (the seventh presidency) as the culmination of the acceptance of party, commerce, and individualism. For the Jacksonians, nonpartisanship lost its relevance, "

5. The author of the passage would most likely to agree with which of following statements about Ketcham?
C. He does not pay adequate attention to the negative aspects of the first Presidents’ commitment to classical ideals.
"Ketcham is so strongly committed to justifying the classical ideals, however, that he underestimates the advantages of their decline. "

In question 5: the option C talks about the "negative aspects of the first Presidents’ commitment to classical ideals", whereas the passage talks about the advantages of the decline.
The passage did not mention about the negative aspects of the first president's commitment to classical ideas, and definitely not related to Ketcham.

Please let me know if I missed something.

Thanks !
Shivam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
NandishSS wrote:
HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, EducationAisle, generis

Quote:

(A) He overemphasizes the influence of classical ideals on the first six Presidents of the United States.

(B) He fails to recognize that classical ideals had little influence on politics in the United States.

(C) He does not pay adequate attention to the negative aspects of the first six Presidents??? commitment to classical ideals.

(D) He inaccurately suggests that classical ideals gave rise to our modern notion of democracy.

(E) He underestimates the effect of ideologies other than the humanist tradition on the first six Presidents.

Quote:
Ketcham is so strongly committed to justifying the classical ideals, however, that he underestimates the advantages of their decline.

What makes A incorrect?

dear GMATNinjaTwo, SajjadAhmad, u1983, GMATNinja, workout, Gnpth

what a coincidence. I have the same reasoning as NandishSS, and picked up A as well.

would you help point out what's the wrong with A. it took me few hours , I still have no idea
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [5]

Send PM
Kudos