Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [81]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [29]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [8]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [2]
Send PM
Re: Many environmentalists, and some economists, say that free trade encou [#permalink]
Kudos
I think we have to look for parallelism here.
...that free trade encourages industry to relocate to countries with.... and ...that, (...), rich nations join in this downward slide toward.....

My only fear is that "for maintaining competitiveness" in (B) is less idimatic than "in order to maintain competitiveness" in (A). However, I will go with (B). What is OA?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Many environmentalists, and some economists, say that free trade encou [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
abhijit_sen wrote:
Many environmentalists, and some economists, say that free trade encourages industry to relocate to countries with ineffective or poorly enforced anti pollutions laws, mostly in the developing world, and that, in order to maintain competitiveness, rich nations have joined this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution.

A) that, in order to maintain competitiveness, rich nations have joined this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution.
B) that, for maintaining competitiveness, rich nations join in this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution
C) that rich nations join this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution because of wanting to maintain competitiveness
D) that in rich nations, joining this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution is a result of wanting to maintain competition
E) that wanting to maintain competition is making rich nations join in this downward slide toward an attitude about pollution that is more lax

CDE are outright wrong
A and B are different in terms of tense and idiom.

Tense:- A is in present perfet where as B is in past tense. The sentence should be in present perfect tense.

Idiom:- "in order to maintain competitiveness" sounds better for me than "for maintaining competitiveness".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [5]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Kudos
I think most of us agree that choice is between A and B. So here is explanation on why B is wrong.

"join in" implies as if rich nations are colluding. Moreover simple present tense "join" implies that this activity has just started. However as original sentence indicates that activity started in the past and still continuing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Okay, please allow me to join the class late for I got stuck in a traffic jam, cause by alien UFO's :P

Okay here is my view:
In A, Perfect Tense was used, which indicates that this situation arose recently just to maintain comptetiveness and this still continues in the present.....

In B, Simple Present tense was used, which indicates that this, downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution is a general and consistant trend of Rich Nations.
I guess you can see the difference in the meaning..

when two sentences are grammatically correct and have difference in meanings than always go for A because it is original
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Many environmentalists, and some economists, say that free trade encourages industry to relocate to countries with ineffective or poorly enforced anti pollutions laws, mostly in the developing world, and that, in order to maintain competitiveness, rich nations have joined this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution.

A) that, in order to maintain competitiveness, rich nations have joined this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution.
B) that, for maintaining competitiveness, rich nations join in this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution
C) that rich nations join this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution because of wanting to maintain competitiveness
D) that in rich nations, joining this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution is a result of wanting to maintain competition
E) that wanting to maintain competition is making rich nations join in this downward slide toward an attitude about pollution that is more lax

Between A & B => present tense is wrong in rich nations join in this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution. Present tense is used to convey facts that are always true. Like blood flows in veins. sun rises in the east.

To show purpose, "to" is uesd not "for"
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Many environmentalists, and some economists, say that free trade encou [#permalink]
Bookmarks

(A) that, in order to maintain competitiveness, rich nations have joined this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution - Correct

(B) that, for maintaining competitiveness, rich nations join in this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution - 'for maintaining competitiveness' is bad idiomatic usage; 'rich nations join in this downward slide': fatal change in meaning. this wording implies that the rich nations are colluding with each other, metaphorically holding hands, deciding together to become more lax about pollution.

the simple present tense join implies that there is some sort of timeless truth about the statement being made. that's the wrong meaning: the sentence is meant to say that the rich nations have begun to do this as a result of current trends. if you don't understand the difference, consider the following analogous examples:
private universities have admitted more females than males --> meaning: this is an ongoing or cumulative trend, continuing into the present from some designated starting point
private universities admit more females than males --> meaning: this is a fundamental truth about the way private universities operate

(C) that rich nations join this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution because of wanting to maintain competitiveness - same as B; because of verb-ing is unidiomatic

(D) that in rich nations, joining this downward slide toward more lax attitudes about pollution is a result of wanting to maintain competition - illogical meaning - it suggests that we are talking about some phenomenon that happens in rich nations, rather than talking about the actual actions of rich nations.
is a result of VERBing seems awkward

(E) that wanting to maintain competition is making rich nations join in this downward slide toward an attitude about pollution that is more lax - Tense issue

Answer A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
daagh Can you please brief in the difference of "in" after join in option B and it is missing after joined in option A
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
teaser

Quote:

Quote:
daagh Can you please brief in the difference of "in" after join in option B and it is missing after joined in option A

Join means -- to attach with, to enter into, to become a member of -- i.e, join already implies a preposition. If you add another proposition, such as 'join in', the additional preposition becomes infructuous and redundant. 'Have joined' in A, is the correct diction considering the other aspects also. B and D are wrong because of this aspect, in addition to other errors in them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
daagh wrote:
teaser

Quote:

Quote:

Join means -- to attach with, to enter into, to become a member of -- i.e, join already implies a preposition. If you add another proposition, such as 'join in', the additional preposition becomes infructuous and redundant. 'Have joined' in A, is the correct diction considering the other aspects also. B and D are wrong because of this aspect, in addition to other errors in them.

daagh
Please have a look at this link https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... sh/join-in
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Many environmentalists, and some economists, say that free trade encou [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hi, teaser,
I am under the belief GMAT grammar is good enough. I have told you what I think.
If you think GMAT authors are not up to your expectations, you must feel free to tell them as much. I didn't write the question. after all.

I hope you get my intent.

Originally posted by daagh on 03 Feb 2019, 07:05.
Last edited by daagh on 29 Mar 2019, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
I understand well that B changes the meaning. However I'm getting confused in parallelism here.

For A, 'free trade encourages' doesn't seem parallel to 'rich nations have joined'.
For B, 'free trade encourages' seems perfectly parallel to 'rich nations join'.

Can someone please explain this?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts