It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 09:52

Happening Now:

Alleviate MBA app anxiety! Come to Chat Room #2

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Many managers are influenced by dangerous

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 23

Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Many managers are influenced by dangerous [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 19:16
saroshgilani wrote:
the OA for the last question...?
i chose E

5. E is OA

http://gmatclub.com/forum/many-managers-are-influenced-by-dangerous-myths-about-pay-66930.html

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 87

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 11:35
A lil on the slower side..11:30min...1 wrong!

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 87

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16291 [1], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Re: GMAT Prep RC: Many managers are influenced by dangerous myths [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
New GMAT Prep RC Project: 1 RC Every day. Don't forget to time yourself with the stopwatch below to earn kudos.

Many managers are influenced by dangerous myths about pay that lead to counterproductive decisions about how their companies compensate employees. One such myth is that labor rates, the rate per hour paid to workers, are identical with labor costs, the money spent on labor in relation to the productivity of the labor force. This myth leads to the assumption that a company can simply lower its labor costs by cutting wages.But labor costs and labor rates are not in fact the same: one company could pay its workers considerably more than another and yet have lower labor costs if that company’s productivity were higher due to the talent of its workforce, the efficiency of its work processes, or other factors. The confusion of costs with rates persists partly because labor rates are a convenient target for managers who want to make an impact on their company’s budgets. Because labor rates are highly visible, managers can easily compare their company’s rates with those of competitors.Furthermore, labor rates often appear to be a company’s most malleable financial variable: cutting wages appears an easier way to control costs than such options as reconfiguring work processes or altering product design.

The myth that labor rates and labor costs are equivalent is supported by business journalists, who frequently confound the two. For example, prominent
business journals often remark on the “high” cost of German labor, citing as evidence the average amount paid to German workers. The myth is also perpetuated by the compensation consulting industry, which has its own incentives to keep such myths alive. First,although some of these consulting firms have recently broadened their practices beyond the area of compensation, their mainstay continues to be advising companies on changing their compensation practices.Suggesting that a company’s performance can be improved in some other way than by altering its pay system may be empirically correct but contrary to the consultants’ interests. Furthermore, changes to the compensation system may appear to be simpler to implement than changes to other aspects of an organization, so managers are more likely to find such advice from consultants palatable. Finally, to the extent that changes in compensation create new problems, the consultants will continue to have work solving the problems that result from their advice.

1) The passage suggests that the “myth” mentioned in the highlighted text persists partly because
A. managers find it easier to compare their companies’ labor rates with those of competitors than to compare labor costs
B. managers tend to assume that labor rates affect their companies’ budgets less than they actually do
C. managers tend to believe that labor rates can have an impact on the efficiency of their companies’ work processes
D. the average amount paid to workers differs significantly from one country to another
E. many companies fail to rely on compensation consultants when making decisions about labor rates

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

2) The author of the passage mentions business journals the highlighted text primarily in order to
A. demonstrate how a particular kind of evidence can be used to support two different conclusions
B. cast doubt on a particular view about the average amount paid to German workers
C. suggest that business journalists may have a vested interest in perpetuating a particular view
D. identify one source of support for a view common among business managers
E. indicate a way in which a particular myth could be dispelled

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

3) It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements about compensation?
A. A company’s labor costs are not affected by the efficiency of its work processes.
B. High labor rates are not necessarily inconsistent with the goals of companies that want to reduce costs.
C. It is more difficult for managers to compare their companies’ labor rates with those of competitors than to compare labor costs.
D. A company whose labor rates are high is unlikely to have lower labor costs than other companies.
E. Managers often use information about competitors’ labor costs to calculate those companies’ labor rates.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

4) The author of the passage suggests which of the following about the advice that the consulting firms discussed in the passage customarily give to companies attempting to control costs?
A. It often fails to bring about the intended changes in companies’ compensation systems.
B. It has highly influenced views that predominate in prominent business journals.
C. It tends to result in decreased labor rates but increased labor costs.
D. It leads to changes in companies’ compensation practices that are less visible than changes to work processes would be.
E. It might be different if the consulting firms were less narrowly specialized.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

4) According to the passage, which of the following is true about changes to a company’s compensation system?
A. They are often implemented in conjunction with a company’s efforts to reconfigure its work processes.
B. They have been advocated by prominent business journals as the most direct way for a company to bring about changes in its labor costs.
C. They are more likely to result in an increase in labor costs than they are to bring about competitive advantages for the company.
D. They sometimes result in significant cost savings but are likely to create labor-relations problems for the company.
E. They may seem to managers to be relatively easy to implement compared with other kinds of changes managers might consider.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16291 [1], given: 1953

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 93

Schools: ISB '17
GMAT 1: 530 Q35 V28
GPA: 2.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 10:02
14 minutes... All correct..
WOW how to reduce this time....

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 93

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 12:53
7:48

4 right and 1 wrong. However, understood the question after reading it again.

4) The author of the passage suggests which of the following about the advice that the consulting firms discussed in the passage customarily give to companies attempting to control costs?
A. It often fails to bring about the intended changes in companies’ compensation systems. Correct
B. It has highly influenced views that predominate in prominent business journals. BJs are not influenced by CFs
C. It tends to result in decreased labor rates but increased labor costs. It actually reduces labour rates but leads to other problems (not necessarily increased labour costs)
D. It leads to changes in companies’ compensation practices that are less visible than changes to work processes would be. compensation practices are actually more visible.
E. It might be different if the consulting firms were less narrowly specialized. No supporting evidence cited.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 69

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 869 [0], given: 71

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 10:47
Interesting passage , A D B B E , got 4th incorrect :? , Time taken -10 mins and 30 seconds :| , 3 mins to read

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 869 [0], given: 71

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 11:56
sayantanc2k mcelroytutoring

Can anyone help me with the tone of the passage here? Is it neutral or negative? I find it "neutral" as the author is concerned with highlighting a prevailing view among the business managers and citing reasons for its prevalence and widespread acceptance. On the other hand, I am a little confused with the usage of word "myth". It seems quite strong and looks like that the author is sad about the counterproductive decisions.

Please help me with the same.

Thanks a lot for your unconditional support till date :)

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 12:00
sayantanc2k mcelroytutoring

Can anyone help me with the tone of the passage here? Is it neutral or negative? I find it "neutral" as the author is concerned with highlighting a prevailing view among the business managers and citing reasons for its prevalence and widespread acceptance. On the other hand, I am a little confused with the usage of word "myth". It seems quite strong and looks like that the author is sad about the counterproductive decisions.

Please help me with the same.

Thanks a lot for your unconditional support till date :)

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 02:58
Can anyone help me here with my question above^

souvik101990 carcass mikemcgarry MacFauz aditya8062 Nevernevergiveup

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 02:59
Posting it here as well in case anyone attends it here-

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 53

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 04:29
Keats wrote:
Can anyone help me here with my question above^

souvik101990 carcass mikemcgarry MacFauz aditya8062 Nevernevergiveup

I would say that the tone is moderately negative. Indeed, the author considers a certain view as a myth and therefore tries to dismiss it by explaining the underlying reasons why this myth exists.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 53

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 05:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Thanks manlog, I got your point. Lets see if any expert is interested in sharing his/her opinion!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.89
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 19:54
Additional question :
The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. describe a common practice used by managers to control labor costs
B. examine the relation between labor costs and other costs incurred by businesses
C. explain why labor rates are a more significant factor than labor costs for most businesses
D. identify a common misperception held by managers and point out some of the reasons for
its persistence
E. distinguish between a factor that companies can easily control and another that is more
difficult to change

Answer : D

never say never !
-Give a kudos if my answer helped you.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 124

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 00:08
13 min overall

3 correct 2 wrong.

A
D
A(Wrong)
B(wrong)
E

1) In the last part of 1st para "Because labor rates are highly visible, managers can easily compare their company’s rates with those of competitors"

2) Process of elimination Option D is in line with that of managers thinking

3) In 1st para "But labor costs and labor rates are not in fact the same: one company could pay its workers considerably more than another and yet have lower labor costs if that company’s productivity were higher due to the talent of its workforce, the efficiency of its work processes, or other factors."
It shows that High labor rates might be the problem for all the companies. Might be for few but not all.

4) Question talks about "What author Suggests ABOUT the suggestions of consultancy
In last lines of the passage "Finally, to the extent that changes in compensation create new problems"
It will create new problems--Thus failing in bringing the intended change(Goal)

5) In last lines of the passage "so managers are more likely to find such advice from consultants palatable"

I'm happy, if I make math for you slightly clearer
And yes, I like kudos
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :-)

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 124

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 869 [1], given: 71

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 04:41
This post received
KUDOS
-The author describes a common myth held by business managers
-He then goes on to describe how that myth is concurred by business journals and hence is finding widespread acceptance

Took 9 mins in total, including 3 mins to read .

1. Because labor rates are highly visible, managers can easily compare their company’s rates with those of competitors
Answer A

2. "The myth that labor rates and labor costs are equivalent is supported by business journalists, who frequently confound the two. For example, prominent business journals"
Since the business journals support the common view held my managers, option (D) is the right answer choice.

The author is trying to point out that labor rates and labor costs are not connected and that managers would not try to reduce labor rates to reduce costs. The author is stating that high labor costs could still bring about a reduction in a company’s overall costs.
Answer B

4. "Finally, to the extent that changes in compensation create new problems, the consultants will continue to have work solving the problems that result from their advice"

Since the changes in compensation create new problems, it is contrary to its intended effect and hence option (A) is the right answer

"Furthermore, changes to the compensation system may appear to be simpler to implement than changes to other aspects of an organization, so managers are more likely to find such advice from consultants palatable"

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 869 [1], given: 71

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 08:07
Many managers are influenced by dangerous myths about pay that lead to counterproductive decisions about how their companies compensate employees. One such myth is that labor rates, the rate per hour paid to workers, are identical with labor costs, the money spent on labor in relation to the productivity of the labor force. This myth leads to the assumption that a company can simply lower its labor costs by cutting wages. But labor costs and labor rates are not in fact the same: one company could pay its workers considerably more than another and yet have lower labor costs if that company's productivity were higher due to the talent of its workforce, the efficiency of its work processes, or other factors. The confusion of costs with rates persists partly because labor rates are a convenient target for managers who want to make an impact on their company's budgets. Because labor rates are highly visible, managers can easily compare their company's rates with those of competitors. Furthermore, labor rates often appear to be a company's most malleable financial variable: cutting wages appears an easier way to control costs than such options as re-configuring work processes or altering product design.

The myth that labor rates and labor costs are equivalent is supported by business journalists, who frequently confound the two. For example, prominent business journals often remark on the "high" cost of German labor, citing as evidence the average amount paid to German workers. The myth is also perpetuated by the compensation-consulting industry, which has its own incentives to keep such myths alive. First, although some of these consulting firms have recently broadened their practices beyond the area of compensation, their mainstay continues to be advising companies on changing their compensation practices. Suggesting that a company's performance can be improved in some other way than by altering its pay system may be empirically correct but contrary to the consultants' interests. Furthermore, changes to the compensation system may appear to be simpler to implement than changes to other aspects of an organization, so managers are more likely to find such advice from consultants palatable. Finally, to the extant that changes in compensation create new problems, the consultants will continue to have work solving the problems that result from their advice.

I read only the bold part and skip the strike part but you can skim also.(A/q to your reading process)

P1 :- Talking about one myth i.e. labor rates are identical with labor costs. And then author perspective about this myth.
P2: - Who supported this myth.

1) The passage suggests that the “myth” mentioned in the highlighted text persists partly because

Background - It is mention in P1 - The confusion of costs with rates persists partly because labor rates are a convenient target for managers............

A. managers find it easier to compare their companies’ labor rates with those of competitors than to compare labor costs ---Correct , aligned with above mentioned background.
B. managers tend to assume that labor rates affect their companies’ budgets less than they actually do
C. managers tend to believe that labor rates can have an impact on the efficiency of their companies’ work processes
D. the average amount paid to workers differs significantly from one country to another
E. many companies fail to rely on compensation consultants when making decisions about labor rates --- It is mentioned in P2

2) The author of the passage mentions business journals the highlighted text primarily in order to

Background - Business Journal mentioned in p2 , so need to reed that part.This is role base question so just apply concept of CR. It is mentioned to make reader know that who supports the myth.

A. demonstrate how a particular kind of evidence can be used to support two different conclusions
B. cast doubt on a particular view about the average amount paid to German workers
C. suggest that business journalists may have a vested interest in perpetuating a particular view
D. identify one source of support for a view common among business managers
E. indicate a way in which a particular myth could be dispelled

4) The author of the passage suggests which of the following about the advice that the consulting firms(CF) discussed in the passage customarily give to companies attempting to control costs?

Background : - Consulting Firm mentioned in p2 so need to read that part of p2. Author suggest three things about the advice of the CF.
Suggesting that a company's performance can be improved .................
Furthermore, changes to the compensation system .......................
Finally, to the extant that changes in compensation create new problems, the consultants will continue to have work solving the problems that result from their advice.

A. It often fails to bring about the intended changes in companies’ compensation systems. --- From third point we can infer this.
B. It has highly influenced views that predominate in prominent business journals.
C. It tends to result in decreased labor rates but increased labor costs.
D. It leads to changes in companies’ compensation practices that are less visible than changes to work processes would be. --- Author talk something about performance but not what this option is telling.
E. It might be different if the consulting firms were less narrowly specialized.

According to the passage, which of the following is true about changes to a company’s compensation system?

Background :- Answer for this question will be explicitly mentioned in the passage. "Changes to a company’s compensation system. --- mentioned in p2--"changes to the compensation system may appear to be simpler to implement than changes to other aspects of an organization"

A. They are often implemented in conjunction with a company’s efforts to reconfigure its work processes.
B. They have been advocated by prominent business journals as the most direct way for a company to bring about changes in its labor costs.
C. They are more likely to result in an increase in labor costs than they are to bring about competitive advantages for the company.
D. They sometimes result in significant cost savings but are likely to create labor-relations problems for the company.
E. They may seem to managers to be relatively easy to implement compared with other kinds of changes managers might consider.

Thanks,
S

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 03:27
Can someone explain why its option A for question 4?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 18

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 1054 [0], given: 377

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT Prep RC: Many managers are influenced by dangerous myths [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 05:34
GMATNinja, Could you help with question 3 (Inference)?

Quote:
But labor costs and labor rates are NOT in fact the same: one company could pay its workers considerably more than another and yet have lower labor costs if that company's productivity were higher due to the talent of its workforce, the efficiency of its work processes, or other factors.

It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements about compensation?

A. A company’s labor costs are not affected by the efficiency of its work processes.
B. High labor rates are NOT necessarily inconsistent with the goals of companies that want to reduce costs
C. It is more difficult for managers to compare their companies’ labor rates with those of competitors than to compare labor costs.
D. A company whose labor rates are high is unlikely to have lower labor costs than other companies.
E. Managers often use information about competitors’ labor costs to calculate those companies’ labor rates.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1054 [0], given: 377

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 157

GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 580 Q43 V27

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 12:02
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
1 -A
2 -D
3 -B
4 -A

Perfect. Those are OA.

You are correct. :) how much time you took for 3rd and fourth questions?

Please explain Question 4- A
I marked D
what is wrong with it?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 157

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Many managers are influenced by dangerous [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 11:26
9min

All correct :D

Most of the time consumed was for answering the questions. Passage seemed to be easier one initially, but wasn't.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Many managers are influenced by dangerous   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2017, 11:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ]