GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Good Overall Score/Bad IR - Worth retaking?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Good Overall Score/Bad IR - Worth retaking?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 10:42
Hi All,

First, I want to thank everyone on this forum for your insights. This community has been in an invaluable resource :)

I am trying to figure out whether it's worth retaking the exam. I did very well on quant and verbal (49 on quant and 51 on Verbal for an overall 780) but poorly on IR (4/8 which comes out to 35 percentile). I was scoring around 7 or 8 on IR in practice tests but was unfortunately had an off day. I'm planning to apply to the programs at Harvard and Stanford. Does anyone have insight into how much emphasis these schools place on IR?

Since we are only allowed one online attempt, I won't be able to retake the exam until test centers reopen, which may not be for several months in my area. Retaking taking the exam would require me to continue studying for several more months and I would also need to prepare for the AWA section.

Thank you in advance!
HBS Moderator
D
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Good Overall Score/Bad IR - Worth retaking?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 13:02
insignia wrote:
Hi All,

First, I want to thank everyone on this forum for your insights. This community has been in an invaluable resource :)

I am trying to figure out whether it's worth retaking the exam. I did very well on quant and verbal (49 on quant and 51 on Verbal for an overall 780) but poorly on IR (4/8 which comes out to 35 percentile). I was scoring around 7 or 8 on IR in practice tests but was unfortunately had an off day. I'm planning to apply to the programs at Harvard and Stanford. Does anyone have insight into how much emphasis these schools place on IR?

Since we are only allowed one online attempt, I won't be able to retake the exam until test centers reopen, which may not be for several months in my area. Retaking taking the exam would require me to continue studying for several more months and I would also need to prepare for the AWA section.

Thank you in advance!

https://gmatclub.com/forum/beginner-to-advanced-strategy-that-worked-v31-to-v38-to-v40-300070.html#p2313182
Just mention the test center closures in the area and fail to take reattempt. IR Score is more of a hygiene factor. There is really no issue with a 780. A 4 IR is not all that bad and in my opinion, you have done a great job with the GMAT. I believe that you should focus on Building your profile. Check out the decision tracker and see how many 770,760 and 780 scorers get rejected from H/S/W. It is the strength of your overall profile that matters nothing else.
Free Admissions and GMAT consulting "GMAT Club special"
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 17:38
Congratulations for a great score! V51 wow, we rarely see that. Request you to post a debrief.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 18:28
Welcome to GMAT Club!
Wow. Amazing Q and V scores and shocking IR :lol:

I don't think you need to worry about the IR. Schools have demonstrated over and over again that they appear to be completely indifferent towards IR and with 780, there should not be any issues or questions about your abilities rather about GMAC's abilities to score the IR section. There is an optional essay that you could bring IR in, unless you are using it for something else.

As to HBS/Stanford, they hardly seem to care about scores (or so they try us to believe in). I think they will continue having an understanding outlook for the R1 since many people are going to be applying with things such as a layoff, furlough, imperfect score, and other superflous deficiencies that usually would have been smoothed out but not possible to address during the COVID-19 times.

I would not retake adn instead focus on your other areas of the application - Resume and Essays. it seems Resume is the under-rated element of the application, so I would focus a bit more on that.

BB.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 18:44
Hi insignia,

You are set with 780. No, you do not need to retake the GMAT. Good luck with things moving forward.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com

214 REVIEWS

5-STARS RATED ONLINE GMAT QUANT SELF STUDY COURSE

NOW WITH GMAT VERBAL (BETA)

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2020, 05:58
Thanks All! evo, I am working on a debrief but what helped me most on Verbal was just reading through the sentence correction chapter in the official guide. It seems that most of the questions are based on a set of 7-8 rules. Just choosing the option that “sounds most right” isn’t an effective strategy. I think GMAC deliberately structures options in ways that sound odd but are still correct to throw off people trying to do this.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Good Overall Score/Bad IR - Worth retaking?   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2020, 05:58

Good Overall Score/Bad IR - Worth retaking?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics