Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [8]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [7]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 250
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Government-imposed limits on foreign direct investment [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Trisha658 wrote:
Please explain "to competing with"
I am still confused

Hello, Trisha658. If we look at the sentence at hand, we can see why to competing with in option (D) is incorrect. First, the sentence, with (D) dropped in:

Government-imposed limits on foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail have made it difficult for international chains such as Walmart to competing with unregulated local retailers such as Big Bazar

It is little strange to see the word bazaar without the extra a, but speaking to the matter at hand, the verb should be compete instead. The shell of the sentence reveals as much:

Limits have made it difficult to compete with retailers.

Under no circumstances would competing with be used instead. I should add, however, that in a from A to B framework that used gerunds, it would be appropriate to use the questionable construct. An example:

Chris takes his triathlon training really seriously, from jumping into open water to swim with seals to competing with former Tour de France riders on mountainous climbs that would break even most seasoned cyclists.

I hope that helps. Unless this question gets a fix, just learn what you can from it and move on.

- Andrew
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1989 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Kudos
KungFuGmat wrote:
Government-imposed limits on foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail has made difficulties for international chains such as Walmart as they are competing with unregulated local retailers such as Big Bazar

A) has made difficulties for international chains such as Walmart as they are competing with
B) has made difficulties for international chains such as Walmart competing with
C) have made difficulties for international chains as Walmart as they are competing with
D) have made it difficult for international chains such as Walmart to competing with
E) have made it difficult for international chains such as Walmart as they are competing with

GMATNinja please help!

@Moderators
Please move this topic to the Sentence Correction section.
Here, since 'limits' is plural, we need a plural verb i.e. have. Hence, A,B is out.
'As they are competing with' is long and wordy.
D is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
souvonik2k wrote:
KungFuGmat wrote:
@souvonik2k- thanks for the quick response. In the correct answer, what does "it" refer to?

Here 'it' refers to 'to competing'.
In certain cases 'it' can refer to infinitive subjects as per MGMAT guide.

Can you suggest some example where we can use 'to competing'

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
Send PM
Kudos
souvonik2k wrote:
KungFuGmat wrote:
Government-imposed limits on foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail has made difficulties for international chains such as Walmart as they are competing with unregulated local retailers such as Big Bazar

A) has made difficulties for international chains such as Walmart as they are competing with
B) has made difficulties for international chains such as Walmart competing with
C) have made difficulties for international chains as Walmart as they are competing with
D) have made it difficult for international chains such as Walmart to competing with
E) have made it difficult for international chains such as Walmart as they are competing with

GMATNinja please help!

@Moderators
Please move this topic to the Sentence Correction section.
Here, since 'limits' is plural, we need a plural verb i.e. have. Hence, A,B is out.
'As they are competing with' is long and wordy.
D is the answer.

IMO E

The problem I found with D is 'to competing with'. If it was 'to compete with' it would be correct. That's my opinion. If I'm wrong, please explain why.

Thank you! :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Send PM
@souvonik2k- thanks for the quick response. In the correct answer, what does "it" refer to?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1989 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
KungFuGmat wrote:

Here 'it' refers to 'to competing'.
In certain cases 'it' can refer to infinitive subjects as per MGMAT guide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 287
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V25
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V36
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
KungFuGmat wrote:

Source ready4gmat

GMATNinja please help!

Shouldn't the sentence be - have made it difficult for international chains such as Walmart to BE competing with ?

Please guide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
KungFuGmat wrote:

Source ready4gmat

GMATNinja please help!

Answer is E

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
KungFuGmat wrote:

Source ready4gmat

GMATNinja please help!

What is the source of this question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
This must be a typo, one would never say "it made it difficult to competing with".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Is "to competing with correct". I have rejected "D" and selected E. Experts please help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Is "to competing with" correct in option "D". If "Yes", could you please explain why is it correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Please explain "to competing with"
I am still confused
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
"to competing" is not the correct phrase here..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Hi,
I wanted to ask in Option D ,if "competing with " is replaced with "compete with " ,will this option be still wrong??
Actually , i am not able o understand in Option D whether Walmart is being compared or Inernational chain is compared with local retailers .
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts