GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 02:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GPA calculation when classes do not have marks

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge
GPA calculation when classes do not have marks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 01:43
Hello, everyone!

I am from Russia and have graduated the best Automobile University in the country. However, at the time of study I was also a full-time professional athlete and played for Junior National Team. This fact, obviously, impacted my overall GPA which is way worse than bad. 2.44. It is the most serious problem in my application.

Regarding GPA. It was calculated using only classes which have grades from 1 to 5 (F to A in the US system). Actually to pass an exam and graduate successfully you can't get anything below 3(C in the US system) for any of your classes. So if you get a 2 for at least one of your classes, you will be expelled from the institution. In my case I graduated successfully with a 3 for every class except for a 5 in English. My overall number of hours is 7826. However, 2053 hours were used on classes where you don't get a grade but get a PASS/NOT PASS thing. And these 25% of classes are not included in my GPA calculation. It is very frustrating because many of them were actually way more difficult than graded classes. Of course they are all listed in my graduate paper with a mark of "PASS".

I've read a bunch of articles and they provide different information. Some of them tell that one can't use such classes in the calculations. Some tell that you can use with a grade of 5, however, the school to which you apply can interpret this score differently and you will be regarded as a fraud.

Any ideas on how to deal with this thing?

I am so nervous about my GPA. Everything else is more or less fine. My goals, my GMAT 730, my background and so on. But this GPA gap seems to overweigh everything else.
Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: GPA calculation when classes do not have marks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 02:06
asker4ik13 wrote:
Hello, everyone!

I am from Russia and have graduated the best Automobile University in the country. However, at the time of study I was also a full-time professional athlete and played for Junior National Team. This fact, obviously, impacted my overall GPA which is way worse than bad. 2.44. It is the most serious problem in my application.

Regarding GPA. It was calculated using only classes which have grades from 1 to 5 (F to A in the US system). Actually to pass an exam and graduate successfully you can't get anything below 3(C in the US system) for any of your classes. So if you get a 2 for at least one of your classes, you will be expelled from the institution. In my case I graduated successfully with a 3 for every class except for a 5 in English. My overall number of hours is 7826. However, 2053 hours were used on classes where you don't get a grade but get a PASS/NOT PASS thing. And these 25% of classes are not included in my GPA calculation. It is very frustrating because many of them were actually way more difficult than graded classes. Of course they are all listed in my graduate paper with a mark of "PASS".

I've read a bunch of articles and they provide different information. Some of them tell that one can't use such classes in the calculations. Some tell that you can use with a grade of 5, however, the school to which you apply can interpret this score differently and you will be regarded as a fraud.

I am so nervous about my GPA. Everything else is more or less fine. My goals, my GMAT 730, my background and so on. But this GPA gap seems to overweigh everything else.

Well, the simple answer is: Your GPA is your GPA. As listed on your transcript. And there's no point trying to explain it away.

What you CAN do, however is address the issue in an optional essay.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 02:11
JonAdmissionado wrote:
asker4ik13 wrote:
Hello, everyone!

Well, the simple answer is: Your GPA is your GPA. As listed on your transcript. And there's no point trying to explain it away.

Best,
JF

Thank you for your response, Jon.
What is interesting is that I actually don't have such thing as GPA in my transcript. I mean GPA in Russia is not a common practice, which is why we have a bunch of classes that do not have a grade, but just have a pass/fail thing. So in order to fill in my application form I calculated GPA myself using formulas from the web. And here comes my question - how to calculate GPA for classes, which don't have a point grade? Some resources state that you are not allowed to include these classes to your GPA calculation and some state that you can. I am not sure what to do.
Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 02:27
asker4ik13 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
asker4ik13 wrote:
Hello, everyone!

Best,
JF

Thank you for your response, Jon.
What is interesting is that I actually don't have such thing as GPA in my transcript. I mean GPA in Russia is not a common practice, which is why we have a bunch of classes that do not have a grade, but just have a pass/fail thing. So in order to fill in my application form I calculated GPA myself using formulas from the web. And here comes my question - how to calculate GPA for classes, which don't have a point grade? Some resources state that you are not allowed to include these classes to your GPA calculation and some state that you can. I am not sure what to do.

Hmmmmmm. I see. Well, if you are doing this yourself, I would say - do what is most advantageous to you, while remaining reasonable.

That having been said, normally in the US, when you have Pass/Fail courses, they are simply not calculated as a part of the GPA.

so that would be your standard practice.

Hope this helps,
Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 15:34
Quick answer - use the GPA listed on your transcript in the application form and avoid including P/F courses in the calculation. Long answer - You might want to reach out to the school for clarification or guidance here, ultimately most of the top schools will have some experience dealing with GPAs from your region or even your school, so they will have their own evaluation procedure here. My hunch is they will give you the guidance provided in my "quick answer"

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 23:13
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Quick answer - use the GPA listed on your transcript in the application form and avoid including P/F courses in the calculation. Long answer - You might want to reach out to the school for clarification or guidance here, ultimately most of the top schools will have some experience dealing with GPAs from your region or even your school, so they will have their own evaluation procedure here. My hunch is they will give you the guidance provided in my "quick answer"

Thank you very much for your answer. I've calculated my GPA using 5.0 scale without converting it to 4.0 system. And I didn't include p/f classes.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 02:19
This is a tough case :) I guess you should calculate and report your GPA to the best of your knowledge, and consider explaining it in the optional essay so the adcom will not think you were trying to mislead them.
For more info on GPA conversions, please visit: https://aringo.com/gpa-conversions/

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Expert Post
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 04:52
I dont think you will have much luck turning passes into number grades however you might reach out to http://wes.org and see if an international transcript evaluation might help you out. Most of the clients I work with who do it come out with MUCH better grades. They attach it in the "other documents" area of the application. Also, you might consider doing HBx or HBS strategic management certificate to create what is called a secondary transcript. You want to have something indicate your academic preparedness and serious mindset. If you have the ability to wait until next year, would recommend that http://hbx.hbs.edu/courses/core/

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 08:51
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I dont think you will have much luck turning passes into number grades however you might reach out to http://wes.org and see if an international transcript evaluation might help you out. Most of the clients I work with who do it come out with MUCH better grades. They attach it in the "other documents" area of the application. Also, you might consider doing HBx or HBS strategic management certificate to create what is called a secondary transcript. You want to have something indicate your academic preparedness and serious mindset. If you have the ability to wait until next year, would recommend that http://hbx.hbs.edu/courses/core/

Thank you very much for your response. I've already submitted my application to several Bschools with GPA on a 5 grade scale. Actually most of them ask not to convert GPA into 4.0 scale. For example, as you may know, UCLA states that I am not allowed to convert to 4.0 if my school has another grading system.

My GPA on the 5 grade system is 3.44. I got mostly C's in my university as I was a professional athlete at that moment and could not keep up with distinctive study. I deliberately chose sports and have no regrets about this decision. Now I am who I am and I could save money for my MBA and open several businesses with the help of sports.

I mentioned this in my optional essay and I hope that 730 in GMAT will somehow cover the low GPA.
GPA calculation when classes do not have marks   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 08:51

GPA calculation when classes do not have marks

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap