Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Re: Grammar [#permalink]
Hello empanado!

I totally agree to your explanations, but as you mentioned 'which' is a general (non defining) clause that can be omitted without weakening the sentence (the same with a non defining clause, i.e 'The mount Everest(, that is covered with snow,) is the highest mountain in the world.')

Shovelling snow is something (which I do not prefer).

without the defining clause does the sentence not make any sense, therefore the correct sentence is

Shovelling snow is something that I do not prefer.

by the way, you can bet that in any SC in which you have a 'which' without a comma, there is something else wrong in the sentence! cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
catgmat wrote:
Hello empanado!

I totally agree to your explanations, but as you mentioned 'which' is a general (non defining) clause that can be omitted without weakening the sentence (the same with a non defining clause, i.e 'The mount Everest(, that is covered with snow,) is the highest mountain in the world.')

without the defining clause does the sentence not make any sense, therefore the correct sentence is

by the way, you can bet that in any SC in which you have a 'which' without a comma, there is something else wrong in the sentence! cheers

Great explanation. It is much more clear for me now.
VP
VP
Send PM
catgmat wrote:
Hello empanado!

THANK YOU.
i also found some followup information.

That vs. Which
1. GMAT almost always wants you to put a comma before which. In other words, if you see which without a comma before it, it's probably wrong.

If the person you're talking to, or the person who's reading what you've written, needs that extra bit of information to know which noun you're referring to, we say that that extra information is non-restrictive.

On the other hand, if you need that information to know which noun you are talking about, we say that the information is restrictive. Again, this word is not really a good choice for clarity, and many teachers use the term "necessary information" instead

We need a comma before non-restrictive clauses and phrases but it is not needed before restrictive clauses and phrases.

Both the sentences below are correct according to GMAT, but have different meanings.
· Please go into the room and get me the big book, which is mine. (Ex: of non-restrictive)
· Please go into the room and get me the big book that is mine. (Ex: of restrictive)
VP
VP
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:
Shovelling snow is something which I do not prefer.

Is there anything wrong with either sentence?

On a side note, i made up both questions. Is there a rule for prefer? I know there is an idiom for prefer X to Y (two choices). In my sentences above, there are no specified alternatives. I think that it should be written as

Shovelling snow is something that I do not enjoy.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts