Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Graphsx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 435 [38]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [19]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: The diagram shows, in three column groupings, various divisions of Ear [#permalink]
Expert Reply
yatesri wrote:
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's my first post here although I often read your forums. I tried an integrated reasoning problem for the first time today and for the most part did fine. However, I'm confused by the answer on this sample problem from the GMAT site:

The board won't allow me to post pictures but the question is from the official GMAT site's integrated reasoning sample questions.

Attachment:
GID1023.gif
The diagram shows, in three column groupings, various divisions of Earth's geological history since its formation approximately 4,600 million years ago. In the leftmost column grouping, the Precambrian eon is subdivided into chronometric eons shown on the far left; but otherwise, in the rest of the graphic, each subsequent column to the right shows the subdivisions of the timeframes to its left. Each of the rightmost two column groupings is a magnification—with additional information—of a portion of the grouping directly to its left.

Fill each blank using the drop-down menu to create the most accurate statement on the basis of the information provided.

The Miocene epoch spans closest to (3%, 25%, 85%) of the era of which it is a part.

According to the diagram the beginning of the (Cambrian period, Triassic Period, Pliocene Epoch, Precambrian eon) marks the onset of a new eon, era, and period in geological history.

25%, Cambrian Period

I'm confused by the answer to the second question. The beginning of the Cambrian period does not coincide with the onset of a new eon, era, and period. If I'm reading it wrong, I apologize for wasting your time.

Hi,

Though I am not sure where your confusion lies but let me have a try.

Basically, if you look at the first figure from the left, you can see that there are only two eons: Precambrian and Phanerozoic.

Now, for anything to start with an eon, it has to start with either Precambrian eon or Phanerozoic eon.

However, there is no information about eras or periods at the beginning of Precambrian eon.

So, the only solution possible which can start with eon, era and period, will be the one starting with Phanerozoic eon.

Now that is the case with Cambrian period. For this, Phanerozoic eon starts, Paleozoic era starts and Cambrian period starts. Therefore, this is the correct answer.

In addition, you can see that the answer also could have been Phanerozoic eon. (same three times start in this case also).

Hope this helps :)

e-GMAT has recently launched a full fledged course on IR encompassing 15+ hours of interactive audio visual content, 35 concepts, 120+ original questions, and 2 full length Mock Tests. Visit e-gmat.com for a free trial.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: The diagram shows, in three column groupings, various divisions of Ear [#permalink]
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Hi,

Though I am not sure where your confusion lies but let me have a try.

Basically, if you look at the first figure from the left, you can see that there are only two eons: Precambrian and Phanerozoic.

Now, for anything to start with an eon, it has to start with either Precambrian eon or Phanerozoic eon.

However, there is no information about eras or periods at the beginning of Precambrian eon.

So, the only solution possible which can start with eon, era and period, will be the one starting with Phanerozoic eon.

Now that is the case with Cambrian period. For this, Phanerozoic eon starts, Paleozoic era starts and Cambrian period starts. Therefore, this is the correct answer.

In addition, you can see that the answer also could have been Phanerozoic eon. (same three times start in this case also).

Hope this helps :)

e-GMAT has recently launched a full fledged course on IR encompassing 15+ hours of interactive audio visual content, 35 concepts, 120+ original questions, and 2 full length Mock Tests. Visit e-gmat for a free trial.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Thank you for your response!

What is confusing for me is that the answer states that "According to the diagram the beginning of the Cambrian period marks the onset of a new eon, era, and period in geological history.

However, according to the expanded graph to the right, the beginning of the Cambrian period does not mark the onset, the end of the Cambrian period does.

This is also the beginning of the Precambrian Era; also an answer choice.

Doesn't the question wording prevent the Cambrian period from being a correct answer?

Thanks,
yatesri
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
A) 25% per the third graph (Magnified version)

B) Cambrian period per the second graph ( Magnified version)

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32858 [0]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

According to the rightmost column of the diagram, the Miocene epoch spans 17 million years, from about 6 million to 23 million years ago. The rightmost column also represents the entire Cenozoic era that appears in the middle column and spans 65 million years. Dividing 17 by 65 yields approximately 0.262, or 26.2%, which is closest to the menu option of 25%.

The correct answer is 25%.

The only place in the diagram that distinctly represents eons, eras, and periods together is in the middle column, and the only place in the middle column where there is a dividing line common to an eon, era, and period is at the beginning of the Cambrian period at about 550 million years ago.

The correct answer is Cambrian period.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
What was confusing to me is that zero is "the present" whereas 4600 is in the past. Is there a rule of thumb stating that generally historical graphs graphs count years up (up to BC I would assume)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Schools: IIMA '25 (II)
Send PM
The graph is meant to be read from bottom people. 0 years ago is the most recent, 10 years ago is less recent and so on. Keep that in mind.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11161 posts