Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32862 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Send PM
Re: GRE "at home" debrief while waiting for the GMAT "at home" edition [#permalink]
Lorettagrace yeah, the Vocabulary part is definitely challenging. However, I am grateful to both exams because I definitely improved my grammar knowledge (kudos to the GMAT) and already learned several hundred of new words (kudos to the GRE). I decided a few months ago that I might attempt the GRE, so I started learning every single new words that I encounter in literature such as The New York Times, The Economist, and so on. :-)
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GRE "at home" debrief while waiting for the GMAT "at home" edition [#permalink]
Hi mykrasovski, carcass, bb, Lorettagrace
I have a 2 year old GRE score of 325(Q-165:88 percentile, V-160:86 percentile). I have been preparing for the GMAT since March. I've felt that the GRE is an easier test than the GMAT because I believe that it is more test taker friendly. In the GRE you may skip a question/ Review it for later and get back to it at the end. I feel this makes you feel more comfortable when testing compared to the GMAT.

How do you see GRE scores being evaluated for the admissions cycle of 2021?(Considering the issues with online GMAT and potentially many test takers struggling to find dates at test centres due to the inevitable rush post the pandemic). I have always felt that students applying with the GMAT are preferred over the ones applying with the GRE ( I feel that my ding from the Indian School Of Business is partly attributed to this )

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by elPatron434 on 16 Apr 2020, 21:34.
Last edited by elPatron434 on 16 Apr 2020, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Send PM
Hi elPatron434, the only comment I can make is that you have an outstanding GRE score, which statistically is above the average scores in many great business programs around the World. So, I would advise to focus on other aspects of your application such as professional experience, outreach engagements, and leadership.

Good luck!
BSchool Moderator

Send PM
Thank you mykrasovski,
I was under a similar impression too. But I then came across the GRE to GMAT converter on the ETS website which translates my score to 690 on the GMAT which I feel isn't on the same pedestal as my GRE score. I am confused as to what scores would the B Schools be taking into account (325 vs 690) while evaluating an individual's candidature, considering most of the B Schools don't publish statistics on the GRE.

bb, carcass would love your thoughts on this.

Thank You!

Originally posted by elPatron434 on 16 Apr 2020, 22:05.
Last edited by elPatron434 on 16 Apr 2020, 23:12, edited 2 times in total.
BSchool Moderator

Send PM
carcass wrote:
These are our conclusion backed up from a granular observation of the data on the FIELD

As you can see from the pie above we do have a clear picture of the 60 (sixty) BSs that accept AND disclose the GRE score for a Full-Time MBA program. Notice the relevant considerations

• The BS that NOT disclose the test but accept it are the majority
  • Basically, the average score for both the sections of the test is 160, which is also consistent with the following point
  • INSEAD and HEC Paris BS play safe going for the percentile - 85% and 65% respectively - of the test. In the section of this guide: What does the GRE score mean we will address very well on why the chose percentile over a numbered score
  • Notice also that 36 BS DO NOT Accept the GRE. See where the value is ZERO. However, this statistic should not be taken with concern from the students. In large part, the BSs that do not accept the score are at the periphery of the big MBA circle, which is basically in the three main areas of the globe: US, Canada, and Europe.
  • What is really astonishing is that among 60 BSs in fice continents ONLY on School - Wharton - give indication clearly of the AWA score. This could be an interesting argument on which making a reflection

refer to these for your conclusions.

In a nutshell, if YOU achieve a score of Quant 160/161 and Verbal 160, this split is more than enough even for Harvard.

here, once again , you can find ALL the BSs of the world

https://greprepclub.com/forum/the-gre-a ... tml#p42871

Hope this helps

Regards

Thank you carcass. The post is really helpful. I request one small clarification though. Does accepting the scores guarantee that the converter isn't used? (As pointed out in the post, your correspondence with NYU seems to suggest that they convert the scores). I ask this because a 325 on the GRE with a Q/V split of 165/160 translates to a 690 with a Q/V split of 47/36. Looking at it from a percentile standpoint the GRE score of 325 indicates a Q/V percentile of 88/86 while the translated score shows the percentile split to be 63/83.(source https://magoosh.com/gmat/score/gmat-score-calculator/).

The disparity in the levels indicated by the GRE and the converted scores ( which the bschool's might use to potentially standardize applicants' scores ) would disadvantage the GRE applicants. Would that be a correct assumption?

Thank You again for your time

Board of Directors
Send PM
Top Contributor
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
I had appeared for the GRE in 2019 from India.
Here is my debrief.
https://bit.ly/2XxIC9S

Please do let me know if I can be of any help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
This guy is a liar getting paid by GMAT test prep companies as students will start moving away from the GMAT. The gre is much easier
GMAT > GRE > EA. Please do not lie

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GRE "at home" debrief while waiting for the GMAT "at home" edition [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Rtmt wrote:
This guy is a liar getting paid by GMAT test prep companies as students will start moving away from the GMAT. The gre is much easier
GMAT > GRE > EA. Please do not lie

Are you referring about the last post in this topic? With a bit.ly link? Otherwise, there a lot of guys …

And this is an 18 month old topic 😬

So who is lying? About what?
GMAT Club Bot
GRE "at home" debrief while waiting for the GMAT "at home" edition [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts