Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: In the past few years, Fern Valley University has been experiencing ha [#permalink]
Hey mariyea, keep an eye on the length. First essay does not have the length. I see the depth but not the width :-D I mean for beef it with random examples. E.g Org will loose if it just has a tunnel vision on the other hand org will loose even when dissatisfaction is going to smoulder in the employees. And you can even concoct a fresh looking example - e.g GE or Ford or Microsoft - they are not going to check the validity unless you tell them that Microsoft is a "mexican company based out of India" or something. So beef up ! First essay is 4 / 6

The second one is good. 5/6 The length is ok, its got the substance and the ideas. One more thing - never mix the ideas in two para. One para - one idea. Second para - second idea. So on ! Otherwise the examiner will think you have wasted the previous paragraph.

I wish you luck !
mariyea wrote:
Thanks! Great insight... I did it in less than 30 mins prolly like 29:43... and I didn't quite organize the flow of my essay. But what do you think, considering the organization of the essay, what do you think they'd give me?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the past few years, Fern Valley University has been experiencing ha [#permalink]
gmat1220 wrote:
Hey mariyea, keep an eye on the length. First essay does not have the length. I see the depth but not the width :-D I mean for beef it with random examples. E.g Org will loose if it just has a tunnel vision on the other hand org will loose even when dissatisfaction is going to smoulder in the employees. And you can even concoct a fresh looking example - e.g GE or Ford or Microsoft - they are not going to check the validity unless you tell them that Microsoft is a "mexican company based out of India" or something. So beef up ! First essay is 4 / 6

The second one is good. 5/6 The length is ok, its got the substance and the ideas. One more thing - never mix the ideas in two para. One para - one idea. Second para - second idea. So on ! Otherwise the examiner will think you have wasted the previous paragraph.

I wish you luck !
mariyea wrote:
Thanks! Great insight... I did it in less than 30 mins prolly like 29:43... and I didn't quite organize the flow of my essay. But what do you think, considering the organization of the essay, what do you think they'd give me?

Thank you so much!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1291 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
thanks for these resources!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Flaw 1: assumes that greater number of student means --- more prestigious university --- the author use the word prestigious in a vague form.
flaw 2: assumes that the alumni will be able to provide funds. Even if, the alumnus provide enough funds, will that be enough to support the cause. The author should have mentioned a plan b, such loans or something, in case alumni do fail to provide support,.
flaw 3: assumes a reason to be the cause of the problem, had it been some other problem such as recession, competition with some uni., etc, then the plan to raise fund would definitely fail.
flaw 4: assumes that widening of subjects eliminated poor teaching!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
In the recommendation to the Administrator of Fern University, Financial planning office come to conclusion to increase number of admissions in University, its recommended to initiate fund raising campaign among alumni which will help in adding new subjects and increasing size of the library infrastructure. However, before this recommendation get properly evaluated, two question must be answered.

Firstly, does adding new range of subject will help resolved the problem? Students cited that they are suffering with bad teaching. Instead of giving proper training to teacher rather than adding new subjects which only results in more problem. For Example, if teacher is unable to answer students queries then adding new subjects will not solved there issue. If the above is true, it will weaken the conclusion drawn.

Secondly, does increasing size of library and adding range of subjects will help Fern University to earn Prestigious University Title? It is quite exaggeration. There are lot factors responsible for university evaluation like Students to Teacher Ratio, Quality and Assessments, etc. Just by doing two tasks of adding subjects and increasing size of library won’t help university to become Most Prestigious University. Therefore, the arguments don’t hold.

In conclusion, the argument presented have flaws because of its dependence on unwarranted assumptions. If the author come out with answers for the above questions by providing good evidence then it is possible to evaluate viability of the above recommendation to add new subjects and increasing size of the library.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Welcome to GMAT Club!

Using the unofficial AWA grader GMATAWA, which you can't rely on 100% but it is a great indicator. Here is what I have:

AWA Score: 6 out of 6!
I have used a GMATAWA auto-grader to evaluate your essay. I think some of your long introduction has confused the essay grader since your "Firstly appeared only in the third paragraph". I tried deleting your first 2 paragraphs and that bumped the score up to 4.5 though it bumped the cohesion score down to 3.5. In any case, it proves that MORE is not always BETTER

Coherence and connectivity: 5/5
This rating corresponds to the flow of idea and expression from one paragraph to another. The effective use of connectives and coherence of assertive language in arguing for/against the argument is analysed. This is deemed as one of the most important parameters.

Paragraph structure and formation: 5/5
The structure and division of the attempt into appropriate paragraphs is evaluated. To score well on this parameter, it is important to organize the attempt into paragraphs. Preferable to follow the convention of leaving a line blank at the end of each paragraph, to make the software aware of the structure of the essay.

Vocabulary and word expression: 5/5
This parameter rates the submitted essay on the range of relevant vocaubulary possessed by the candidate basis the word and expression usage. There are no extra- points for bombastic word-usage. Simple is the best form of suave!

:fingers_crossed: Please do not forget to use the Chineseburnt AWA Template!
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6 ... 64327.html

ayushmeher wrote:
In the recommendation to the Administrator of Fern University, Financial planning office come to conclusion to increase number of admissions in University, its recommended to initiate fund raising campaign among alumni which will help in adding new subjects and increasing size of the library infrastructure. However, before this recommendation get properly evaluated, two question must be answered.

Firstly, does adding new range of subject will help resolved the problem? Students cited that they are suffering with bad teaching. Instead of giving proper training to teacher rather than adding new subjects which only results in more problem. For Example, if teacher is unable to answer students queries then adding new subjects will not solved there issue. If the above is true, it will weaken the conclusion drawn.

Secondly, does increasing size of library and adding range of subjects will help Fern University to earn Prestigious University Title? It is quite exaggeration. There are lot factors responsible for university evaluation like Students to Teacher Ratio, Quality and Assessments, etc. Just by doing two tasks of adding subjects and increasing size of library won’t help university to become Most Prestigious University. Therefore, the arguments don’t hold.

In conclusion, the argument presented have flaws because of its dependence on unwarranted assumptions. If the author come out with answers for the above questions by providing good evidence then it is possible to evaluate viability of the above recommendation to add new subjects and increasing size of the library.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Please evaluate my AWA

In the past few years, Fern Valley University has suffered from a decline in both enrollments and admissions applications. The reason can be discovered from our students, who most often cite poor teaching and inadequate library resources as their chief sources of dissatisfaction with Fern Valley. Therefore, in order to increase the number of students attending our university, and hence to regain our position as the most prestigious university in the greater Fern Valley metropolitan area, it is necessary to initiate a fund-raising campaign among the alumni that will enable us to expand the range of subjects we teach and to increase the size of our library facilities.

The argument claims that reason behind the decline in enrolments and admission applications for Fern Valley University is inadequate library resources and poor teaching. So, in order to increase the number and regain its position, Fern Valley University found it necessary to initiate a fund raising campaign. At first the argument seems persuasive, however, the argument makes several unsupported assumptions and stated this way the argument fails to consider several key factors which could call the conclusion to question. Hence, the argument is unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument readily assumes poor teaching and inadequate library resources as main reason for the decline just because students cite that reason. However the argument fails to provide data for the question to what extent is the number of students expressing their dissatisfaction representative as a whole? For example, the student might express his/her personal sources of dissatisfaction as the chief sources of dissatisfaction for every student in the university. If the number is less the university would be working to rectify a wrong problem. Moreover the reason behind the decline could a totally a different one. For example, what if the cut off range for their minimum application requirement could be higher for any student to apply? If the argument had provided that data it would be helpful to evaluate the argument.

Second, the argument assumes that increase in the number of students would help them regain the position as the most prestigious university. However, it is actually the opposite of what the argument assumes, because in order to increase the number of student attending university, the university might have to compromise on their standards. For example, university might have to reduce their minimum requirements to cater to a large number of students.

Third, the final stage of the argument states that it is necessary to initiate a fund raising campaign among the alumni to expand the range of subjects we teach and to increase the size of our library facilities. Stated this way the argument readily assumes that the fund raised among the alumni would be sufficient for the expansion. What if number of alumni willing to participate in the fund raising is less? Without this information analysing the likelihood of the plan to succeed is difficult.

In summary, the argument fails to convince because of the faulty assumptions aforementioned. If the argument had drawn up on the examples as suggested, and thereby plugging in the gaps in the reasoning the argument would have been far sounder on the whole.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
AWA Score: 5.5 out of 6

Coherence and connectivity: 5/5
This rating corresponds to the flow of ideas and expressions from one paragraph to another. The effective use of connectives and coherence of assertive language in arguing for/against the argument is analyzed. This is deemed as one of the most important parameters.

Paragraph structure and formation: 4.5/5
The structure and division of the attempt into appropriate paragraphs are evaluated. To score well on this parameter, it is important to organize the attempt into paragraphs. Preferable to follow the convention of leaving a line blank at the end of each paragraph, to make the software aware of the structure of the essay.

Vocabulary and word expression: 4/5
This parameter rates the submitted essay on the range of relevant vocabulary possessed by the candidate basis the word and expression usage. There are no extra- points for bombastic word usage. Simple is the best form of suave!

Good Luck

rc9811 wrote:
Please evaluate my AWA

In the past few years, Fern Valley University has suffered from a decline in both enrollments and admissions applications. The reason can be discovered from our students, who most often cite poor teaching and inadequate library resources as their chief sources of dissatisfaction with Fern Valley. Therefore, in order to increase the number of students attending our university, and hence to regain our position as the most prestigious university in the greater Fern Valley metropolitan area, it is necessary to initiate a fund-raising campaign among the alumni that will enable us to expand the range of subjects we teach and to increase the size of our library facilities.

The argument claims that reason behind the decline in enrolments and admission applications for Fern Valley University is inadequate library resources and poor teaching. So, in order to increase the number and regain its position, Fern Valley University found it necessary to initiate a fund raising campaign. At first the argument seems persuasive, however, the argument makes several unsupported assumptions and stated this way the argument fails to consider several key factors which could call the conclusion to question. Hence, the argument is unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument readily assumes poor teaching and inadequate library resources as main reason for the decline just because students cite that reason. However the argument fails to provide data for the question to what extent is the number of students expressing their dissatisfaction representative as a whole? For example, the student might express his/her personal sources of dissatisfaction as the chief sources of dissatisfaction for every student in the university. If the number is less the university would be working to rectify a wrong problem. Moreover the reason behind the decline could a totally a different one. For example, what if the cut off range for their minimum application requirement could be higher for any student to apply? If the argument had provided that data it would be helpful to evaluate the argument.

Second, the argument assumes that increase in the number of students would help them regain the position as the most prestigious university. However, it is actually the opposite of what the argument assumes, because in order to increase the number of student attending university, the university might have to compromise on their standards. For example, university might have to reduce their minimum requirements to cater to a large number of students.

Third, the final stage of the argument states that it is necessary to initiate a fund raising campaign among the alumni to expand the range of subjects we teach and to increase the size of our library facilities. Stated this way the argument readily assumes that the fund raised among the alumni would be sufficient for the expansion. What if number of alumni willing to participate in the fund raising is less? Without this information analysing the likelihood of the plan to succeed is difficult.

In summary, the argument fails to convince because of the faulty assumptions aforementioned. If the argument had drawn up on the examples as suggested, and thereby plugging in the gaps in the reasoning the argument would have been far sounder on the whole.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts