Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [5]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Re: Group 14 Question 66: A nationwide exam will be administered... [#permalink]
Kudos
1st sentence : Tells about a fact/ sets context
2nd : Makes a conclusion by giving a loose premise. Hmm.. He must assume that there is a sort of learning curve involved. (But who cares about the assumption!). We don't know yet if this is the main conclusion. Let's read on
3rd : Again a conclusion evidenced by "this clearly means that" , which clearly means that Author is using 2nd sentence as a premise for drawing a conclusion (prediction). Hence, should be the main conclusion. See what I did there? :p Everything after since is a premise.

Role played
1st BF : Intermediate conclusion
2nd BF : Premise for supporting main conclusion
Both BFs are supporting the main conclusion

A. Is in line with above understanding - Correct
B. First- its not argument's main conclusion - Incorrect, Second is an evidence but does not lead a secondary conclusion Incorrect
C. First - Author has used the fact that exams are being conducted 2nd time to derive intermediate conclusion i.e. author has supported by stated premise - Incorrect Second - its not generalization - Incorrect
D. First - Correct Second - Opposite. 2nd clearly support the conclusion - Incorrect
E. First - Opposite. Incorrect Second - Its a premise not conclusion - Incorrect

Please validate my thinking
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [1]
Send PM
Re: Group 14 Question 66: A nationwide exam will be administered... [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Great job Ashmin and Kalpit1212! You two cracked the code on this one! Kudos to you! :cool: :thumbsup:

winterschool you were very close - check out the explanation in the comments for more details on how to tackle this question. :)
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1612 [0]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
A nationwide exam will be administered to all 6th graders in a few weeks. This is the second year the exam will be given, so teachers know better how to prepare their students. This almost certainly means that average scores will be higher this year, since there is no reason to believe that this year’s 6th graders are less intelligent than last year’s.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a conclusion that leads to the argument’s main conclusion; the second provides additional evidence in support of the same conclusion. Incorrect

second is not support first

(B) The first is the argument’s main conclusion; the second is evidence that leads to a secondary conclusion. Correct

(C) The first is a specific point that is supported by an unstated premise; the second is a generalization that is presented as a well-accepted fact. Incorrect

first is not a specific point, second is not a well-accepted fact

(D) The first is evidence that leads to a conclusion; the second presents evidence that could be used to counter that conclusion. Incorrect

first is not evidence

(E) The first is background information that does not support the argument’s conclusion; the second is the argument’s main conclusion. Incorrect

first is not background information, second is not conclusion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
Send PM
Group 14 Question 66: A nationwide exam will be administered... [#permalink]
In option A ,

The first is a conclusion that leads to the argument’s main conclusion; the second provides additional evidence in support of the same conclusion.

The 2nd part of the statement contains "in support of same conclusion ". Does not that wording creates a confusion ,just asking ? The term "same conclusion" may refer to both secondary conclusion or the main conclusion. If it refers to the earlier , then the answer is wrong . if latter, then it's correct.

Please clarify if I am missing anything .
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts