It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2011, 21:10
The author says that good buildings are due to nice carpentry. But what if the author is considering only those buildings that are good. Say the old empires had built 100 buildings, out of which 50 still exist today and 50 are demolished. The author, living in today's world can see only 50 today and says that the original carpentry is good and that the carpenters in the old time worked with more skill. But he is not considering those 50 buildings that are demolished because of bad carpentry.

So D holds good.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2011, 10:33
+1 for D

Aim 720+

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2011, 11:52
I picked D...this is representativeness problem....only the best hotels built before 1930 are still functioning, the rest were demolished. The writer is comparing all contemporary hotels to the best of the 1930's. Not a fare comparison and does not reflect the change in workmanship of carpenters.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 56

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2011, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
+1 for D

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 20:56
My choice is D

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 22:45
i am not happy with the answer D
I choose E

as explained by someone above -->

D) This one says that a building with lower quality carpentry is more likely to be destroyed. Obviously, hotels built before 1930 have had more time to be destroyed than hotels built afterwards. THIS weakens the argument; it says that the guidebook writer is much less likely to SEE the hotels which were built with bad carpentry before 1930, because those are most likely to have disappeared. Consequently, the hotels STILL STANDING which were built before 1930 may not be a representative sample of all hotels which were built back then. Now we can see the assumption, which is that the hotels seen by the writer are representative of both the pre-1930 and the post-1930 time periods. (D) undermines that assumption, and weakens the argument.

how can we assume above ??

I find the question weird ,whats the source of question

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2011, 01:47
ok i understood now really nice explanation by someone above ---->

D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished. I'LL GO WITH THIS ONE!! If this is true, it means that only the hotels built with the best carpentry are still up and operating; the hotels built with bad carperntry have been demolished, and thus the author hasn't had the opportunity to visit them and see the job made by less skilled carpenters working in hotels before 1930.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT Date: 12-15-2011

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2011, 18:45
+1 D

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2011, 21:14
D

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2012, 23:54
This post received
KUDOS
vaivish1723 wrote:
I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.

I dont know the answer, Kindly explain along with the right answer

choice D is correct. only building remaining from 1930 are those that have superior carpentry work , and hence are not representative of all the building during 1930. So comparison btw the carpentry of building of 1930 to present day one's get weakened

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 18

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 19:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

This question is related to weakening the conclusion

114. Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the
country and have noticed that in those built before
1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is
generally superior to that in hotels built afterward.
Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930
typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than
carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens
the guidebook writer’s argument?
(A) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is
generally far superior to the quality of original
carpentry in other structures, such as houses
and stores.
(B) Hotels built since 1930 can generally
accommodate more guests than those built
before 1930.
(C) The materials available to carpenters working
before 1930 were not signifi cantly different in
quality from the materials available to
carpenters working after 1930.
(D) The better the quality of original carpentry in a
building, the less likely that building is to fall into
disuse and be demolished.
(E) The average length of apprenticeship for
carpenters has declined signifi cantly since 1930.

the correct answer is D, I could not understand how we pick this answer , could not understand OG's explanation as well.

Could someone please explain here?

Thanks,

Ravi

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

TOEFL Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 608 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 19:42
Have you searched prior to posting, here is the link :

i-have-visited-hotels-throughout-the-country-and-have-80358.html

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 608 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2012, 11:01
The only reason I can select D is because all other options are either irrelevant or strengthening the argument. So its only by elimination. I see no explanation valid enough for D to be an option.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2012, 00:44
vaivish1723 wrote:
I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.
I dont know the answer, Kindly explain along with the right answer

Choice D is the correct one because it explain that the building which was built in good quality less likely to be collapsed than the one which was built in worse quality. So, we do not know how many buildings less in quality are collapsed before 1930. If there are many buildings are collapsed before 1930 because of the low quality, we cannot conclude that the skill in carpenter before 1930 are better than the skills in carpenter since 1930.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 44

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 62

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 11:09
Nice question. Great explanation Grumpy. +1 Kudos

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 62

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2012, 20:43
B shows that there is another reason which make the carpenter in the hotel bult after 1930 bad

clearly B is also a weakener.

pls help

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 69

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2012, 20:52
Premise: Carpentry in hotels built before 1930 were of better quality than that in hotels build afterwards.
Conclusion: Carpenters after 1930 worked with more Skill, Care and Efforts than those before.

To weaken the conclusion, you should be able to prove that carpentry before 1930 was good because of some different reasons than the factors of skill and care.

Option (E) tells that period of apprenticeship was longer before 1930. It means that carpentry was done with some more care and cautiousness. Still you cannot argue against the factors of skill, care, effort. Even if option (E) is correct, I can say that Workers after 1930 worked carelessly. Hence this option doesn't weaken the conclusion.

If you consider option (D), the whole reasoning turns to be baseless. If superior carpentry is vulnerable to disuse and demolition, then good carpentry is nowhere because it is being destroyed, Not because worker before 1930 were more careful.

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 69

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2013, 05:39
WHY b IS WRONG:

B can be a weakener if we assump that more guests make carpentry works degrade sooner.

the situation in which weakener needs assumption is recognized on many og questions. So, E is correct.

what gmat want to teach us here.?

the following from og ilustrate the case in which the weakener requiring an assumption is recognized.

Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year. Thus, although the retail price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores has not yet fallen, it will inevitably fall.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A. The cost of processing raw cotton for cloth has increased during the last Year.
B. The wholesale price is typically higher than that of the same volume of raw cotton.
C. The operating costs of the average retail cloting store have remained constant during the last year.
D. Changes in retail prices always lag behind changes in wholesale prices.
E. The cost of harvesting raw cotton has increased in the last year.

pls help. this is og problems and never, never underestimate the og problem. There is somtheing hard which we have not got here.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2013, 08:04
gmatnub has presented the best explanation here - It can be inferred from the statement that only the best of the best hotels built before 1930 are still around, the rest are demolished. Thus, the author did not get to see the full quality spectrum of hotels built before 1930.

But I also agree with tejal777 - It's tough to ignore E.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 282

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2013, 10:38
Wow, just one word can make a difference. 'quality'

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 282

Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2013, 10:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 190 posts ] 

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap