It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 16:28

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member
Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 09:24
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Expert Post
Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2747 [0], given: 364

Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 08:07
Expert's post
Top Contributor
gurpreet07 wrote:
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

(A) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
(B) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
(C) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
(D) The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
(E) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.

This question could be categorized as a weaken the argument question or as a flawed argument question.

The Guidebook writer is trying to present a statistical argument, but fails to recognize that the SAMPLE is not representative of the ENTIRE POPULATION.

The SAMPLE consists of pre-1930's hotels that are still standing
The writer uses this sample to make a conclusion about ALL hotels built before 1930 (hotels that are still standing and those that are no longer standing)
So, there's already a problem with the argument, since it's quite possible that the carpentry in many pre-1930 hotels was so awful that those hotels fell apart very quickly.
So, just because the pre-1930's hotels that are still standing have great carpentry, we can't then make sweeping conclusions about the carpentry in ALL pre-1930's hotels

Answer choice D essentially says "the better the carpentry, the greater the chances of a hotel's survival"
It points out the possibility that many pre-1930's hotels could have had bad carpentry and, thus, had to be demolished.

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

Kudos [?]: 2747 [0], given: 364

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 15:24
hanumayamma wrote:
Conclusion: Carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skills, care and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

(A) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores. [This weakens the argument as carpentry in hotels is generally superior – implies less emphasis on carpenters’ care and effort – hold it]

(B) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930. [Hotel accommodation is out of scope of the argument – eliminate it]

(C) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the material available to carpenters working after 1930. [The material available for carpenters is out of scope of argument – eliminate it]

(D) The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.[Hotel usage is out of scope of the argument – eliminate it]

(E) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.[This strengthens the conclusion – eliminate it]

Answer: A

I have a question here!
choice B says more people in hotels after 1930, so we can conclude more guests, more use, more harm! so the hotels before 1930 which had less guess look better!

am I wrong?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 08:36
soodia wrote:
hanumayamma wrote:
Conclusion: Carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skills, care and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

(A) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores. [This weakens the argument as carpentry in hotels is generally superior – implies less emphasis on carpenters’ care and effort – hold it]

(B) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930. [Hotel accommodation is out of scope of the argument – eliminate it]

(C) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the material available to carpenters working after 1930. [The material available for carpenters is out of scope of argument – eliminate it]

(D) The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.[Hotel usage is out of scope of the argument – eliminate it]

(E) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.[This strengthens the conclusion – eliminate it]

Answer: A

I have a question here!
choice B says more people in hotels after 1930, so we can conclude more guests, more use, more harm! so the hotels before 1930 which had less guess look better!

am I wrong?

Hi Soodia

The MAIN ISSUE is : before 1930 Hotels carpentry > after 1930 hotels' carpentry
WHY ? Carpenters more skilled before 1930 than after 1930

Now we need to break this relation.
The option that you have chosen is not in DIRECT LINE to this issue...Capacity of hotels is not discussed here. Also you are assuming a lot
HOW?
C the bold parts are very far fetched assumptions which are deviating from the relationships stated here...so these are IRRELEVANT

more people in hotels after 1930, so we can conclude more guests, more use, more harm! so the hotels before 1930 which had less guess look better!

Hope this helps
Regards
S

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 03:53
Can some expert explain this in detail? I chose E and its wrong

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 12:22
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

(A) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores. -We are comparing the hotels with hotels in the passage.

(B) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930. -More guests? Out of scope

(C) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930. -This strengthens the argument because if the materials available to the carpenters of both the eras are same then the authors conclusion is correct.

(D) The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished. -Correct. Good quality things stay stable for longer time. Thus, the author visited only good quality hotels. Hence we can't conclude that "all" previous era carpenters are better.

(E) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930. -Out of scope

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 138

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 05:44
+1 for D. Ask yourself - what if a lot of buildings built after 1930s did not sustain in the first place ? In other words, what if the sample space of buildings after 1930s did not have furniture of good enough quality ? Option D fits the bill. Hence option D is the right answer.

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 85

GMAT Date: 07-30-2015
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 05:23
I have two doubt:-

1. Do the premises say that the writer visited hotels that was built pre 1930 and hotels post 1930. Or is it that he visited hotels in the 1930s only.

2. Could you explain D: I understood that all the crappy buildings are likely to be demolished or the building still standing has superior carpentry. How does this statement weakens the argument.

GMATNinja and GMATNinjaTwo

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 85

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 52

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 09:05
rajatbanik wrote:
I have two doubt:-

1. Do the premises say that the writer visited hotels that was built pre 1930 and hotels post 1930. Or is it that he visited hotels in the 1930s only.

2. Could you explain D: I understood that all the crappy buildings are likely to be demolished or the building still standing has superior carpentry. How does this statement weakens the argument.

GMATNinja and GMATNinjaTwo

1) Since the writer noticed that pre-1930 hotels had superior quality, we can infer that the writer has visited hotels built after 1930 as well (otherwise how else could he/she make a comparison?).
2) Stay tuned for an official explanation here! Please use that thread for additional questions (this one will be locked).

Thanks!

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 52

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29378 [0], given: 5310

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 22:01
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED AND DECOMMISSIONED
PLEASE USE THIS LINK FOR THE LATEST/BEST DISCUSSION

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29378 [0], given: 5310

Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2017, 22:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   [ 190 posts ] 

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap