It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 220 [1], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2011, 22:37
This post received
KUDOS
A. is irrelevant- Quality of houses and stores is not being discussed here.

B. While it compares favorably hotels built after 1930, does it praise the carpentary? Is the fact that new hotels can accomodate more people that older ones because of their better carpentary? An assumption we cannot make. A likely trap!

C. Materials were not different- so any difference in carpentary might be attributed to skills- strengthens, or neutral- doesnt weaken definitely

D. Correct option- It is simply saying that if the carpentary is good, it is more likely that the structure will not be demolished or fall out of use, and continue serving as a hotel. But what about probability of mnay of hotels built before 1930, which had bad original carpentary and were demolished or fell into disuse, so that the guidebook author never visited them. In the comparison he makes, therefore, he is comparing only the 'good carpentary' cases of hotels before 1930s with those afte 1930s, and is clearly disregarding many possible examples of bad carpentary before 1930s. Unfair comparison - hence weakening to the argument.

E. Seems to imply that therefore the quality of carpentay skills might be going down- which strengthens rather than weaken the argument

Kudos [?]: 220 [1], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 4

Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2011, 04:13
Thnx for the explaination....

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 4

Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2011, 15:00
D it is

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 4

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 51

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2011, 06:46
excellent explanation grumpy , thanks for letting me know that i need to revise the power score CR bible.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 51

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 46

Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 02:41
vaivish1723 wrote:
I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.

I dont know the answer, Kindly explain along with the right answer

I got it wrong
i was confused by E
however now i have to take it as D after reading the explanation :? :?

WarLocK

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 03:05
D it is.

D tells us Writer visited only those before-1930-hotels that had better quality of carpentary. Otherwise those hotels would have not in use as hotels at all. Hence it weakens writer's claim

Manager
Manager

Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 03:09
crick20002002 wrote:
D it is.

D tells us Writer visited only those before-1930-hotels that had better quality of carpentary. Otherwise those hotels would have not in use as hotels at all. Hence it weakens writer's claim

Excellent man
nice and different explanation
kudos to you :) :)

WarLocK

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 19:21
The essence of the argument is that better quality hotels is a result of working with more skill, care, and effort prior to 1930. So we need to find a case that refutes this claim. Look for the option disproving that all buildings in this era were of good quality.

D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.

If this is true, then we can't say that all hotels were quality hotels prior to 1930 because there could be thousands built at this time that were of poor qualilty which fell into disuse and were demolished. So it correctly weakens the argument.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Schools: Ohio State University

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2011, 00:55
for D...if the original carpentry work is better before 1930 than since 1930, then why can't we conclude that the worker before 1930 is better than that after 1930? Even the less quality carpentry could be demolished, we can still get that conclusion since worse carpentry is easier to be demolished...

can anyone help me on this?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2011, 02:10
My take is D.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 27

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 07:02
114. Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the orginal carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer's argument

a) The quality of orginal carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores

b) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930

c) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not signficantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930

d) The better the quality of orginal carpentry in building, the less likely taht building is to fall into disuse and be demolished

e) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 13:01
Argument: quality of carpentry in old hotels is better than new ones , hence the old carpenters were more skilled than newer.
Missing link : why the old carpentry has good quality?

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer's argument

a) - out of scope

b) - less use, more intact build. correct

c) - neutral

d) - Neutral

e) - Strengthens the argument.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 21:23
Hey,buddy. the official answer is D not B, I chose B firsthand like you but it is wrong.

Can someone explain this type of question in more detail?

piyatiwari wrote:
Argument: quality of carpentry in old hotels is better than new ones , hence the old carpenters were more skilled than newer.
Missing link : why the old carpentry has good quality?

a) - out of scope

b) - less use, more intact build. correct

c) - neutral

d) - Neutral

e) - Strengthens the argument.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 21:40
This problem has been discussed earlier.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-guidebook-writer-47863.html

Crick

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [2], given: 32

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D

tracyyahoo wrote:
114. Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the orginal carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently

a) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores
(irrelevant, we are comparing hotels, not houses and stores.)

b) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930
(irrelevant - we are talking about quality of carpentry, not of the hotels' capacity. Also if capacity of hotels do affect quality of carpentry by increasing or decreasing use of a hotel, its too far fetched a conclusion to rely upon)

c) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930 (strengthens - this option tells us that all other conditions being equal, carpentry style depended on the skill of the carpenters)

d) The better the quality of original carpentry in building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished (weakens - this option tells us that only those hotels built before 1930's survived that had better quality of carpentry, thus the comparison is not valid as we are comparing the best hotels of one era (before 1930's) with a combination of all types of hotels of one era - after 1930's)

e) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930. (irrelevant - nowhere in the premises it is mentioned that apprenticeship has an effect on the skill of carpenters)

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Kudos [?]: 48 [2], given: 32

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2011, 04:14
Oh got it. thanks Mayank!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2011, 23:04
I think D is strengthen instead weaken, do you think???

I think there is no correct answer to this question.

mayansd wrote:
IMO D

tracyyahoo wrote:

a) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores
(irrelevant, we are comparing hotels, not houses and stores.)

(irrelevant - we are talking about quality of carpentry, not of the hotels' capacity. Also if capacity of hotels do affect quality of carpentry by increasing or decreasing use of a hotel, its too far fetched a conclusion to rely upon)

c) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930 (strengthens - this option tells us that all other conditions being equal, carpentry style depended on the skill of the carpenters)

d) The better the quality of original carpentry in building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished (weakens - this option tells us that only those hotels built before 1930's survived that had better quality of carpentry, thus the comparison is not valid as we are comparing the best hotels of one era (before 1930's) with a combination of all types of hotels of one era - after 1930's)

e) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930. (irrelevant - nowhere in the premises it is mentioned that apprenticeship has an effect on the skill of carpenters)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 32

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2011, 01:10
tracyyahoo wrote:

Incorrect comparison is a common GMAT error and should be recognized at first sight, In the argument given, author is wrongly assuming a few hotels as representative of the entire hotels of one era, as pointed out by option D.

For example, (if you follow cricket), Sachin is the best cricket player does not implies that India has the best cricket team. Or, If Lionel Messi is the best soccer player, then it does not implies that Argentina has the best soccer team. (no offense to fans, just an example)

I hope this helps.

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2011, 01:25
where does the passage says a few hotel good quality as repretentative of the entire hotels of one era?

Which sentence cause I'm still in puzzle.

mayansd wrote:
tracyyahoo wrote:

Incorrect comparison is a common GMAT error and should be recognized at first sight, In the argument given, author is wrongly assuming a few hotels as representative of the entire hotels of one era, as pointed out by option D.

For example, (if you follow cricket), Sachin is the best cricket player does not implies that India has the best cricket team. Or, If Lionel Messi is the best soccer player, then it does not implies that Argentina has the best soccer team. (no offense to fans, just an example)

I hope this helps.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2011, 09:06
tracyyahoo wrote:
where does the passage says a few hotel good quality as repretentative of the entire hotels of one era?

Which sentence cause I'm still in puzzle.

The answer option D. D States "The better the quality of original carpentry in building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished". Thus the best hotels before 1930 have survived and others have been demolished. And the author is comparing best hotel of period before 1930 with all the hotels made after 1930 period.

A tough one to understand but I got my understanding cleared after going through this thread.
http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-guidebook-writer-59770.html

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2011, 09:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 190 posts ] 

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and hav

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap