It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 17:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1954
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2014, 05:04
AccipiterQ wrote:
ashwintthomas wrote:
an explanation could be since the premise says "Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby lands." --> D suggests that if this ice has melted, it becomes easier to feed on fishes hence no reason to move northward


I read it as they feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice; if those sheets of ice disappear then so too do those fish they feed on. This would actually prevent them from expanding their range.


I understood it the same way as you did/ Even though I chose the correct answer choice, I don't really get what the logic of the argument is. Would someone please clarify what is going on here?

I will be happy to provide some Kudos for good answers
Cheers
J
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2013
Posts: 27
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 20:34
GODSPEED wrote:
Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby lands. Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until avrage temperature in arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots' range was limited to the southernmost arctic coast. Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast...

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the the argument?

A. Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemots chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
B. If Arctic warming continues, guillemots' current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north
C. Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where tempratures are generally higher than inland areas.
D. If the Arctic warming continues much of the thin ice in southern arctic will disappear.
E. The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.


Conclusion : if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast.

Premise 1: Guillemots feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby lands.

Premise 2 : Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until avrage temperature in arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots' range was limited to the southernmost arctic coast.

Hence, it implies rise in temperature ---> increased bird population. Now, the argument can be weakened by "ways" which will negatively affect "increased bird population". Of the statements given above, there are ONLY two contenders, B & D. B is clearly out of scope as no where in the argument is there a mention of predators of the birds. D is hence, the clear winner as mentioned in premise 2.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10327
Premium Member
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 01:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 17 May 2015
Posts: 37
Premium Member
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2015, 05:22
vaodeanhem wrote:
I choose D.
First, I will break down the stimulus.
Premise 1: Guillemots feed on fish beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and nest on nearby lands.
Premise 2: Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days to raise their chicks, presently, the guillemots' range was limited to the southernmost arctic coast.
Conclusion: if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast.
We can see that this is a Cause n Effect reasoning. The warming => the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward

This is a weaken question type and we must identify an answer which shows that when the cause occurs, the effect doesnt occur or reversely or find an alternative cause for the effect...just as the method of CR Bible.
A) Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemots chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
=> This doesnt effect the conclusion much because the conclusion tells us the guillemots come to grow in the northward.
B) If Arctic warming continues, guillemots' current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north
=> It is too far if we infer that guillemots' current predators succeeded in moving farther north and control the population of the guillemots there. And in this answer, the word is "likely" not "surely".
C) Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where tempratures are generally higher than inland areas.
=> OOS. The argument makes no statement about inland areas or any comparision between inland n costal areas.
D) If the Arctic warming continues much of the thin ice in southern arctic will disappear.
=> Thin ice disappear => birth moves from south to north, So, the guillemots' range wont be enlarged. This shows that when the cause occurs the effect doesnot occur. So it is a Contender.
E) The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.
=> This actually strengthens the argument. Because the fish is more abundant in the north. if the birds move to the north, they will surely enlarge their range.

D is the correct answer.

Hope it helps.


Not convinced why E is wrong. To your point, yes E strenghtens the point that birds will extend the range agreed but the cause is not temp increase but the wider variety of predators. So this should weaken. Please advice, looking forward for your reply.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 08 Dec 2015
Posts: 315
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 05:39
D looks as a Strengthener, or has no effect on the argument. To me it looks like no ice = easier to fish = expand the population! Or it's like, no ice=no fish?... Is this what the OA want to convey? But nowhere in the argument it's made clear the the fish needs the ice to stay alive and as a consequence be eaten by the birds.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 642
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 07:58
People will come to all sort of random answers if they not read carefully and realise that No unnecessary information is ever given in a CR question.
Every sentence and every word in CR questions serve a purpose. Keeping this in mind the correct answer is D
Time taken to solve 32 seconds

Guillemots bird eat fish that gather beneath the thin ice.<=== given in stimulus

Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby lands. Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until avrage temperature in arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots' range was limited to the southernmost arctic coast. Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast...

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the the argument?

A. Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemots chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
A mild strengthener or irrelevant actually at best... If bird chicks are killed by unusual early snow; many chicks may die along the North coast thus making more birds to move further south increasing the birds range. Or this is irrelevant because the argument is about RANGE (geographical location) even if one bird continues to live in south, this will still contribute to the extension of the range. This option is of no definite use because argument is about range and not population.

B. If Arctic warming continues, guillemots' current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.
Are there no predators right now in South. There are always predators... Let the predator extend their range in the north. Newly migrated Guilemonte will save itself in north, just as Guillemonte is currently protecting itself in south. The skill for survival needed are not going to change when Guillemonte reaches North and finds that predator have already there. Guillmonte will do the same trick for survival in North that it is currently doing in South.

C. Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where tempratures are generally higher than inland areas.
No effect :- North is also a coastal area.. right !! ... The coastal line runs NORTH-SOUTH. You can confirm it in the argument. So it makes no difference what part of the coast Guillemonte make nest. North or South. This options tells us that temperature along the coastal line (which include North and South) are higher. So Guillmonte should not feel or face any difference as far as temperature is concerned.

D. If the Arctic warming continues much of the thin ice in southern arctic will disappear.
BAMM:- {No thin floating ice in south---> No fish to eat} {No fish to eat ----> Probable Starvation} {Starvation---->Probable death} {Death--->no increase in territory along the southern coastal lines}
CORRECT

E. The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.
Mildly Strenghtening.. so guillmonte will get more fishes to eat when they move north.. its not a weakener ..
_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.


Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 26 Sep 2016, 10:22, edited 4 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 346
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 16:10
The key word here is "range". The argument isn't about the size of the population, so answer choice D makes perfect sense.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2014
Posts: 56
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 22:51
LogicGuru1 wrote:
People will come to all sort of random answers if they not read carefully and realise that No unnecessary information is ever given in a CR question.
Every sentence and every word in CR questions serve a purpose. Keeping this in mind the correct answer is D
Time taken to solve 32 seconds

Guillemots bird eat fish that gather beneath the thin ice.<=== given in stimulus

Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby lands. Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until avrage temperature in arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots' range was limited to the southernmost arctic coast. Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast...

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the the argument?

A. Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemots chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
and their will still be years in which Guillmot population will grow exceptionally high.
B. If Arctic warming continues, guillemots' current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.
Are there no predators right now. There are always predators... let them go north. guilemonte will save itself in north , like guillemonte is currently protecting itself in south.
C. Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where tempratures are generally higher than inland areas.
??? North is also a costal area.. right !! ... The costal line runs NORTH-SOUTH.
D. If the Arctic warming continues much of the thin ice in southern arctic will disappear.
BAMM:- No thin floating ice, no fish to eat. No fist to eat .. starvation . starvation.. death .. death .. no increase in territory .. along any coastal lines.
E. The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.
Strenghtening.. so guillmonte will get more fishes to eat when they move north.. its not a weakener ..


Ok so you need an extra assumption that fish needs ice to survive, or that ice is needed to suppport life for the birds or birds dont like easy catch without ice and so on ...... etc.

on the same lines we can argue that we need extra assumtpion that since on the south the birds have more predators to compete with so they will stay away from the south, there you go another reason to stay north, the range didnt increase, they stayed away from the south.
In either case you need axtra assumption to get to the answer, depending which way you take

And this question is the ones that GMAC can use to manipulate with the answer choice, it is like philosphy everybody are right and wrong depending from what perspective you are approaching the question. verbal part is not transparaent section and very very debatable on many questions.
as a matter of fact there are many questions like this, good luck to us to think what they want you to tink
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 09:31
kzivrev wrote:
LogicGuru1 wrote:
People will come to all sort of random answers if they not read carefully and realise that No unnecessary information is ever given in a CR question.
Every sentence and every word in CR questions serve a purpose. Keeping this in mind the correct answer is D
Time taken to solve 32 seconds

Guillemots bird eat fish that gather beneath the thin ice.<=== given in stimulus

Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby lands. Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until avrage temperature in arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots' range was limited to the southernmost arctic coast. Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast...

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the the argument?

A. Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemots chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
and their will still be years in which Guillmot population will grow exceptionally high.
B. If Arctic warming continues, guillemots' current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.
Are there no predators right now. There are always predators... let them go north. guilemonte will save itself in north , like guillemonte is currently protecting itself in south.
C. Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where tempratures are generally higher than inland areas.
??? North is also a costal area.. right !! ... The costal line runs NORTH-SOUTH.
D. If the Arctic warming continues much of the thin ice in southern arctic will disappear.
BAMM:- No thin floating ice, no fish to eat. No fist to eat .. starvation . starvation.. death .. death .. no increase in territory .. along any coastal lines.
E. The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.
Strenghtening.. so guillmonte will get more fishes to eat when they move north.. its not a weakener ..


Ok so you need an extra assumption that fish needs ice to survive, or that ice is needed to suppport life for the birds or birds dont like easy catch without ice and so on ...... etc.

on the same lines we can argue that we need extra assumtpion that since on the south the birds have more predators to compete with so they will stay away from the south, there you go another reason to stay north, the range didnt increase, they stayed away from the south.
In either case you need axtra assumption to get to the answer, depending which way you take

And this question is the ones that GMAC can use to manipulate with the answer choice, it is like philosphy everybody are right and wrong depending from what perspective you are approaching the question. verbal part is not transparaent section and very very debatable on many questions.
as a matter of fact there are many questions like this, good luck to us to think what they want you to tink


The argument states that ice free days should increase the range of the Guillemots because they are beneficial for the birds in some way X. Option D shows another way X', a disadvantage of ice free days to the birds and thereby opposes the conclusion.

The disadvantage X': The second sentence states that the Guillemots feed on fish that gather below the ice. If the ice no longer exists, fish would not gather below ice (because there is no ice !) and the Guillemots would not be able to get their feed.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2014
Posts: 56
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 11:42
sayantanc2k wrote:
kzivrev wrote:
LogicGuru1 wrote:
People will come to all sort of random answers if they not read carefully and realise that No unnecessary information is ever given in a CR question.
Every sentence and every word in CR questions serve a purpose. Keeping this in mind the correct answer is D
Time taken to solve 32 seconds

Guillemots bird eat fish that gather beneath the thin ice.<=== given in stimulus

Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby lands. Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until avrage temperature in arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots' range was limited to the southernmost arctic coast. Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast...

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the the argument?

A. Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemots chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
and their will still be years in which Guillmot population will grow exceptionally high.
B. If Arctic warming continues, guillemots' current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.
Are there no predators right now. There are always predators... let them go north. guilemonte will save itself in north , like guillemonte is currently protecting itself in south.
C. Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where tempratures are generally higher than inland areas.
??? North is also a costal area.. right !! ... The costal line runs NORTH-SOUTH.
D. If the Arctic warming continues much of the thin ice in southern arctic will disappear.
BAMM:- No thin floating ice, no fish to eat. No fist to eat .. starvation . starvation.. death .. death .. no increase in territory .. along any coastal lines.
E. The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.
Strenghtening.. so guillmonte will get more fishes to eat when they move north.. its not a weakener ..


Ok so you need an extra assumption that fish needs ice to survive, or that ice is needed to suppport life for the birds or birds dont like easy catch without ice and so on ...... etc.

on the same lines we can argue that we need extra assumtpion that since on the south the birds have more predators to compete with so they will stay away from the south, there you go another reason to stay north, the range didnt increase, they stayed away from the south.
In either case you need axtra assumption to get to the answer, depending which way you take

And this question is the ones that GMAC can use to manipulate with the answer choice, it is like philosphy everybody are right and wrong depending from what perspective you are approaching the question. verbal part is not transparaent section and very very debatable on many questions.
as a matter of fact there are many questions like this, good luck to us to think what they want you to tink


The argument states that ice free days should increase the range of the Guillemots because they are beneficial for the birds in some way X. Option D shows another way X', a disadvantage of ice free days to the birds and thereby opposes the conclusion.

The disadvantage X': The second sentence states that the Guillemots feed on fish that gather below the ice. If the ice no longer exists, fish would not gather below ice (because there is no ice !) and the Guillemots would not be able to get their feed.


Two assupmtion need to be made, 1. that fish needs this ice to hide from predators from example and fish must move north with the ice and with the fish the bird need to move north and 2. that the birds dont have any other source of food except this fish.
for E says that this fish is also source of food for other predators, thay aslo eat this fish under the ice, so birds have competiton on the south. Hard to exclude E as well,. either way you need extra assumtion to arrive at the answer, so it is not fair to consider only D but not E.
I understand your point but E is close contender and on test conditions very easy to get your attention.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 642
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 11:56
kzivrev wrote:

Two assupmtion need to be made, 1. that fish needs this ice to hide from predators from example and fish must move north with the ice and with the fish the bird need to move north and 2. that the birds dont have any other source of food except this fish.
for E says that this fish is also source of food for other predators, thay aslo eat this fish under the ice, so birds have competiton on the south. Hard to exclude E as well,. either way you need extra assumtion to arrive at the answer, so it is not fair to consider only D but not E.
I understand your point but E is close contender and on test conditions very easy to get your attention.


What and why would you need an assumption ?
what assumptions do you keep talking about... TWO ASSUMPTIONS ????
No assumption is needed .

OPTION E is WRONG !! Plain and Simple .

The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.

Option E is a clean cut STRENGTHENER and therefore INCORRECT because we need a WEAKENER.

Food (Fish) is less in the current location of Guillemot bird because many type of predators are using the same food source (Fish).
Less predators use fish as food in the New Location of Guillemot. So obviously Guillemot will not have to struggle to find food in new location and thus abundant food supply will result in no more death due to scarcity of food. Infact abundant food supply will nicely support the growing population and thus Guillemot will prosper and increase its range.

SO why do u keep insisting that E is a contender and what assumptions do you keep mentioning.

E is as incorrect an answer as trying to call a Burning hot African summer day a cold moonless night on north pole.
E is as opposite an answer as labelling a new born baby deer a ferocious carnivorous predator.

E IS EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE RIGHT ANSWER !!
_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2014
Posts: 56
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 13:46
LogicGuru1 wrote:
kzivrev wrote:

Two assupmtion need to be made, 1. that fish needs this ice to hide from predators from example and fish must move north with the ice and with the fish the bird need to move north and 2. that the birds dont have any other source of food except this fish.
for E says that this fish is also source of food for other predators, thay aslo eat this fish under the ice, so birds have competiton on the south. Hard to exclude E as well,. either way you need extra assumtion to arrive at the answer, so it is not fair to consider only D but not E.
I understand your point but E is close contender and on test conditions very easy to get your attention.


What and why would you need an assumption ?
what assumptions do you keep talking about... TWO ASSUMPTIONS ????
No assumption is needed .

OPTION E is WRONG !! Plain and Simple .

The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.

Option E is a clean cut STRENGTHENER and therefore INCORRECT because we need a WEAKENER.

Food (Fish) is less in the current location of Guillemot bird because many type of predators are using the same food source (Fish).
Less predators use fish as food in the New Location of Guillemot. So obviously Guillemot will not have to struggle to find food in new location and thus abundant food supply will result in no more death due to scarcity of food. Infact abundant food supply will nicely support the growing population and thus Guillemot will prosper and increase its range.

SO why do u keep insisting that E is a contender and what assumptions do you keep mentioning.

E is as incorrect an answer as trying to call a Burning hot African summer day a cold moonless night on north pole.
E is as opposite an answer as labelling a new born baby deer a ferocious carnivorous predator.

E IS EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE RIGHT ANSWER !!



First we are all here to learn and to share opinions, second nobody is perfect including the GMAC.
Now for the question I will try to explain my reasoning. it is a common sence that if the warming continuous the ice will melt no matter what, no thini sheet of ice. from the paragraph " Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast..." It says that the warming continuous therefore the ice will melt, D is just common sence statement.
the question is - are birds going to occupy larger range (south to north lattitude) or the range will stay the same. it says they live in the arctic circle, the arctic circle starts from 66 North degrees from the equator. so bird range starts from 66 degrees North lattitude up till some lets say 80 degrees north lattitude, this is their natural habitat, range from 66 to 80 degrees north latitude. the bottom limit is important , the 66 degrees. now the argument says there is global warmnig and if continues it will melt the ice, just common sense - that imply that the arctic circle will shrink, arctic circle will move northbound to some degrees lets say 70 degrees would be the beginning of the arctic circle. The lower range of the habitat of the birds before warming is 66 degrees all the way to the norther limit 80. now with warming, arctic circle shifts up, cnsequently their most northern limit of natural habibat will shift as well, does the lower limit of the habitat will remain and 66? the conclusion of the argumant sattes that their range is enlarged, this means their lower limit of the habitat remained at 66 degrees and implies enlarged range of the habitat. does their lower boundary of the natural habitat stays at 66 degrees? to upper boundary extends to more than 80 degrees norther latitude for sure, the most north habitat limit moved more north cus of the warmer climate, "Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days in a year to raise their chicks" means that the 80 snowless days are possiable at higher nortern lattitude. are they going to stay at the old range at 66 and all the way up to the new most northern latitude or they will move north to the 70 degrees north ( simoultaneously with the arctic circle lower boundary).- we want to weaken the conclusion that the habitat is enlarged, to weaken we need to prove that the range will not enlarge, it can be either stay the same ( this implies that is moving together with the arctic circle shrinkage) or decrease, but not to enlarge. so we need to find reason X as you said that will show that their range did not enlarged. simply D is that no more ice sheets, my assumptions regarding D are in mine prevouis post.
E says that there are some predators that share the food source together with the birds, whola one reason to move the lower border of the habitat more north with the arctic circle.

as you are saying : "Food (Fish) is less in the current location of Guillemot bird because many type of predators are using the same food source (Fish).
Less predators use fish as food in the New Location of Guillemot. So obviously Guillemot will not have to struggle to find food in new location and thus abundant food supply will result in no more death due to scarcity of food. Infact abundant food supply will nicely support the growing population and thus Guillemot will prosper and increase its range. " you just proved that their habitat moved northbound, did not stay at 66 degrees norther latitude, which means their habitat does not occupy larger range as the conlusion says.

as I understood the paragraph we are looking llattitudal range change ( north-south) not population change as you have mentioned.
Based on this reasoning I kept E as contnder cus holds more scientific and logical grounds to dispove that the habitat enlarged. the climete opens new grounds for the habitat but the reason that there is competiotn for the food source their lower limit of the boundary of the habitat actualy moved north, which means the range decreased or remained unchaged but did not enlarged.


I hope I'm clear.

Again we are here to share oppinions and no intentions to offend somebody.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 642
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 00:25
kzivrev wrote:
First we are all here to learn and to share opinions, second nobody is perfect including the GMAC.
Now for the question I will try to explain my reasoning. it is a common sence that if the warming continuous the ice will melt no matter what, no thini sheet of ice. from the paragraph " Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast..." It says that the warming continuous therefore the ice will melt, D is just common sence statement.
the question is - are birds going to occupy larger range (south to north lattitude) or the range will stay the same. it says they live in the arctic circle, the arctic circle starts from 66 North degrees from the equator. so bird range starts from 66 degrees North lattitude up till some lets say 80 degrees north lattitude, this is their natural habitat, range from 66 to 80 degrees north latitude. the bottom limit is important , the 66 degrees. now the argument says there is global warmnig and if continues it will melt the ice, just common sense - that imply that the arctic circle will shrink, arctic circle will move northbound to some degrees lets say 70 degrees would be the beginning of the arctic circle. The lower range of the habitat of the birds before warming is 66 degrees all the way to the norther limit 80. now with warming, arctic circle shifts up, cnsequently their most northern limit of natural habibat will shift as well, does the lower limit of the habitat will remain and 66? the conclusion of the argumant sattes that their range is enlarged, this means their lower limit of the habitat remained at 66 degrees and implies enlarged range of the habitat. does their lower boundary of the natural habitat stays at 66 degrees? to upper boundary extends to more than 80 degrees norther latitude for sure, the most north habitat limit moved more north cus of the warmer climate, "Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days in a year to raise their chicks" means that the 80 snowless days are possiable at higher nortern lattitude. are they going to stay at the old range at 66 and all the way up to the new most northern latitude or they will move north to the 70 degrees north ( simoultaneously with the arctic circle lower boundary).- we want to weaken the conclusion that the habitat is enlarged, to weaken we need to prove that the range will not enlarge, it can be either stay the same ( this implies that is moving together with the arctic circle shrinkage) or decrease, but not to enlarge. so we need to find reason X as you said that will show that their range did not enlarged. simply D is that no more ice sheets, my assumptions regarding D are in mine prevouis post.
E says that there are some predators that share the food source together with the birds, whola one reason to move the lower border of the habitat more north with the arctic circle.

as you are saying : "Food (Fish) is less in the current location of Guillemot bird because many type of predators are using the same food source (Fish).
Less predators use fish as food in the New Location of Guillemot. So obviously Guillemot will not have to struggle to find food in new location and thus abundant food supply will result in no more death due to scarcity of food. Infact abundant food supply will nicely support the growing population and thus Guillemot will prosper and increase its range. " you just proved that their habitat moved northbound, did not stay at 66 degrees norther latitude, which means their habitat does not occupy larger range as the conlusion says.

as I understood the paragraph we are looking llattitudal range change ( north-south) not population change as you have mentioned.
Based on this reasoning I kept E as contnder cus holds more scientific and logical grounds to dispove that the habitat enlarged. the climete opens new grounds for the habitat but the reason that there is competiotn for the food source their lower limit of the boundary of the habitat actualy moved north, which means the range decreased or remained unchaged but did not enlarged.


I hope I'm clear.

Again we are here to share oppinions and no intentions to offend somebody.


I give up !!
My best wishes for your preparation and hope you do well .
all the best
_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 07:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kzivrev wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
kzivrev wrote:

Ok so you need an extra assumption that fish needs ice to survive, or that ice is needed to suppport life for the birds or birds dont like easy catch without ice and so on ...... etc.

on the same lines we can argue that we need extra assumtpion that since on the south the birds have more predators to compete with so they will stay away from the south, there you go another reason to stay north, the range didnt increase, they stayed away from the south.
In either case you need axtra assumption to get to the answer, depending which way you take

And this question is the ones that GMAC can use to manipulate with the answer choice, it is like philosphy everybody are right and wrong depending from what perspective you are approaching the question. verbal part is not transparaent section and very very debatable on many questions.
as a matter of fact there are many questions like this, good luck to us to think what they want you to tink


The argument states that ice free days should increase the range of the Guillemots because they are beneficial for the birds in some way X. Option D shows another way X', a disadvantage of ice free days to the birds and thereby opposes the conclusion.

The disadvantage X': The second sentence states that the Guillemots feed on fish that gather below the ice. If the ice no longer exists, fish would not gather below ice (because there is no ice !) and the Guillemots would not be able to get their feed.


Two assupmtion need to be made, 1. that fish needs this ice to hide from predators from example and fish must move north with the ice and with the fish the bird need to move north and 2. that the birds dont have any other source of food except this fish.
for E says that this fish is also source of food for other predators, thay aslo eat this fish under the ice, so birds have competiton on the south. Hard to exclude E as well,. either way you need extra assumtion to arrive at the answer, so it is not fair to consider only D but not E.
I understand your point but E is close contender and on test conditions very easy to get your attention.


Your understanding that the ice is needed by fishes to "hide" is not required at all. The point is that ice is beneficial for the Guillemots (not to fishes as you have assumed), hence melting of ice will NOT help Guillemot enlarge it's range.

Option E: other predators prey currently - Guillemots also prey now competing with them. If the warming continues, it is not known what these other predators would do. Thus option E does not play any role in weakening the argument.

Reading your response to LogicGuru1, it seems that you have been over-thinking on this particular question, leading to many assumptions or external information getting into your thought process and making the solution unnecessarily complex. I would suggest that you let go of this question for the time being and come back to it after a few wees and see how you think - try to get rid of your pre-conditioned thoughts and think fresh when you come back. If you have a query then, please post back.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 May 2016
Posts: 29
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 20:27
GyanOne
In B you are saying birds and its predators stay together in south. Where it is mentioned exactly ?
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2018, 20:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.