Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Weakenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
GMATNinja, gmat1393, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354
dear experts,
I am still confused with B,D,E although I read the whole thread, would you please clarify further and point out what I missed.

I picked up B because
Quote:
(B) If the Arctic warming continues, guillemots’ current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.

if B is true, then why guillemots go to farther north, where maybe danger(if more predators) or similar danger (if as many as predators).
B weakens the conclusion by showing that it is less likely for guillemots to extend northward.

as for D,

before the temperature rise, the guillemots are limited southmost,
if the warming continues, the thin ice disappears, then it is likely for guillemots to extend northward to find a proper area.
I still think D strengthens the conclusion by showing warming causes ice disappear and then cause guillemots extend northward.

as for E
Quote:
(E) The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by a wider variety of predators in the southernmost Arctic regions than they are farther north.

if farther north area is less dangerous, why not go there,
E shows another reason -- fewer predator--for guillemots to go northward, instead of warming,
Doesn't E weakens the conclusion that warming cause the extend of range.
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
The author thinks that the rise in temperatures will cause the birds' range to be extended northward along the coast.

Take another look at the exact wording of the conclusion: "if the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast."

The author is primarily arguing that the guillemot's range will be enlarged. He/she then further clarifies exactly how this will occur: "by extending northward along the coast."

With that in mind, take another look at (D):
Quote:
D) If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.

From the passage, we know that the guillemots depend on thin ice near the coast, because they feed on the fish that gather there. If this ice disappears, then the guillemots potentially will not be able to feed!

So, if (D) is true, then the guillemots will probably extend northward to find a suitable climate. But will their range be enlarged, as the author argues?

Not necessarily. Because the southern arctic region will no longer be suitable for guillemots, then moving northward could just shift the range of the birds to a different location, rather than actually enlarging their range.

(D) weakens the author's argument, so it is the correct answer.

Quote:
(B) If the Arctic warming continues, guillemots’ current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.

The guillemots currently coexist with their predators in the southern arctic region. If both the guillemots and their predators extend northward, there is nothing to suggest that the predators will completely stamp out the guillemots in the north. The guillemots' range will still be enlarged, so the information in (B) does not weaken the author's argument.

Quote:
(E) The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by a wider variety of predators in the southernmost Arctic regions than they are farther north.

The author argues that guillemots will extend northward because rising temperatures will allow them to raise chicks in more northerly areas of the coast.

(E) just tells us that the guillemot's food source may also have a good shot of thriving farther north. This actually provides additional support for the argument that "if the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast." It doesn't matter that this evidence is different than the evidence supplied in the passage -- it doesn't weaken the author's conclusion, so eliminate (E).

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather [#permalink]
Hi Guys, I believe if the ice disappears, that would force the birds to look for further - Thereby, expanding their range. So isn't it a strengthener ? I'm still not convinced about D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Enough questions enough that I figured it might be worth my weighing in. As any good instructor would, I'm going to focus on the passage first.

Conclusion: Warming will extend Guillemots range north

Premises: Guillemots feed on fish beneath ice, nesting nearby. Need snow-free area to raise chicks. Area is warming, particularly north.

Assumption: Something other than the warming will keep them from extending range.

We know the assumption will be this limited, because otherwise the argument is solid (i.e. if the warm area is expanding, and they can live in warm weather, then obviously their range will expand).

(A) Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemot chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
Problem: This has no connection to the issue of range, because this would happen anywhere.

Problem: In a number of answer choices here, the question is trying to trick you into thinking that the conclusion is that the guillemots will THRIVE in the new areas. But that's not the conclusion. The conclusion is merely that the range of areas in which they can survive will expand. This has no effect on that. The same predators joining them in the new area will result in much the same lifestyle the guillemots already have (same predators).

(C) Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where temperatures are generally higher than in inland areas.
Problem: This doesn't affect the conclusion, which is that the increasing temperatures ELSEWHERE will expand the range of the guillemots.

(D) If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.
Answer: This one may look out of scope, but remember that scope isn't really an issue on strengthen/weaken questions; you're allowed to bring in other information. If the thin ice disappears, then the guillemots will not be able to expand their habitat, because they survive on the fish that live under the ice. This relates to their ability to expand. To contrast with B, the predators are THE SAME in the new area or the old. In D, the food source is DIFFERENT (worse) in the new area, which weakens the conclusion.

Problem: This actually strengthens the argument, because the guillemots are planning to move north. fewer predators means a better chance of succeeding.

Hope that helps!

Everything is correct in passage however i analyzed passage this way

C:Warming will result in increased population in that area....
P: because they need 80 snow free days , feed on fish beneath ice and stay nearby land. Avg tem is increasing...

Assumptions:1. warming will lead to more 80 days contineous snow free...
2. Warming will have only the above positive effect . It wont affect their habitat and food ..

Anything that give information in line any evidence data fact that contradicts assumptions will be right answer

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
This is a little strange for me,
in the correct answer,, how do i assume that if the thin layer of ice will disapper then the fish also will die?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
GMATNinja can you explain this one?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
VeritasKarishma AndrewN

B. If the Arctic warming continues, guillemots’ current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.

C. Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where temperatures are generally higher than in inland areas.

D. If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.

I'd picked option B through my pre-thinking and after reading the above posts I see how B cannot weaken the argument (the birds need not thrive in the new regions, they may be equally under threat in the new northern regions), however, I'd made some assumptions about option C which made me think that it was a contender as well. Please confirm if this thought is logical -

Since Guillemots nest in coastal areas, and their primary food source is the fish under thin ice then they would continue to be restricted to that part of the arctic and not move inward into farther northern regions. Meaning that coastal birds would always continue to inhabit coastal regions, irrespective of whether the temperatures are higher there. Is my assumption that "northward" in Arctic terms means more "landlocked" and thereby unsuitable for coastal birds, incorrect?

Thanks for your help !
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
aritrar4 wrote:
VeritasKarishma AndrewN

B. If the Arctic warming continues, guillemots’ current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.

C. Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where temperatures are generally higher than in inland areas.

D. If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.

I'd picked option B through my pre-thinking and after reading the above posts I see how B cannot weaken the argument (the birds need not thrive in the new regions, they may be equally under threat in the new northern regions), however, I'd made some assumptions about option C which made me think that it was a contender as well. Please confirm if this thought is logical -

Since Guillemots nest in coastal areas, and their primary food source is the fish under thin ice then they would continue to be restricted to that part of the arctic and not move inward into farther northern regions. Meaning that coastal birds would always continue to inhabit coastal regions, irrespective of whether the temperatures are higher there. Is my assumption that "northward" in Arctic terms means more "landlocked" and thereby unsuitable for coastal birds, incorrect?

Thanks for your help !

Hello, aritrar4. Even though I know you said you understand how (B) is out of the running, to me, it is a rare instance in which the language of the response itself provides grounds for automatic dismissal. Specifically, are likely to succeed in extending their own range already tells us that guillemots must be likely to extend their range, and that would not weaken the conclusion at all, not to mention that these predators would currently be preying upon guillemots as well, so this new information adds nothing to the mix. As for (C), I understand your line of reasoning, but it could also be true that the coastline itself could be enlarged with additional melting. That is, perhaps previously solid-frozen ground might get mushy and form the thin layers of ice that attract the fish, and if that ring around the core of Antarctica were larger, then the guillemots might, in fact, extend their range more inland. Could-be-true thinking almost always leads in the wrong direction on CR and RC questions. The less you have to labor for an answer—the more you follow the linear logic of the passage—the more likely you are to walk away with a correct answer. The linear logic at work here is that if the birds feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of ice, and that ice starts to melt, then the fish might seek cover under other thin sheets of ice, and the birds that prey on such fish will likely follow, nesting on nearby land. Displacement seems more likely than expansion in this scenario, and that is all we are after.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to tag me.

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64890 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
aritrar4 wrote:
VeritasKarishma AndrewN

Thanks for your help !

You re assuming that northwards there are no coastal areas. The argument clearly implies that there are.

"Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast."
The argument says that the range will be extended northward along the coast.

Guillemots feed on fish beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby land.
Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow-free days in a year to raise their chicks
So till now guillemots’ range was limited to the southernmost Arctic coast.
It's getting warmer now.

Conclusion: If the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast.

The point that the conclusion is making is that the range will be enlarged. That northward along the coast will become accessible to them too. We need to weaken this.

(A) Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemot chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.

Irrelevant. Our conclusion is about extended range.

Correct predators will follow up north too. Irrelevant. Again, we are talking about extended range. Those predators exist here in south and will follow up north too.

(C) Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where temperatures are generally higher than in inland areas.

The argument already tells us that they nest in coastal areas. We are talking about extending range northward along the coastline itself.

(D) If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.

The conclusion talks about enlarged range. If much of the thin ice disappears from the south, it is possible that south is no more viable for the bird. So they may move north and still have a similar range only. Northwards may become hospitable but south may not remain suitable any more. Hence this weakens our conclusion.

They will have more food available in north. This doesn't weaken our conclusion.

Answer (D)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Thank you VeritasKarishma and AndrewN for your explanations ! It makes perfect sense now that option D is much more relevant to extension of the range of the birds.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo VeritasKarishma

Why can't we say from option C that, the birds anyways prefer high temperatures due to which they need not migrate northward and extend their range. Does this not hurt the author's argument? Also, in the premise it was mentioned that the birds need 80 snowy free days. Why do they need to extend their range at all?

GMATNinja wrote:
So poor GMATNinjaTwo lives in New Jersey, where he's suffered through something called a "bomb cyclone" that caused sub-zero (Fahrenheit!) temperatures. He says that he saw a guillemot in his own backyard last week, but that sighting hasn't been verified. And he recommends this two-minute video about guillemot chicks: https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/guillemots.

Anyway, back to the GMAT... the conclusion of the argument is that the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast IF the warming in the Arctic continues. How does the author arrive at this conclusion?

• We are told that guillemots reside in Arctic regions and feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice.
  • The birds nest on land near the floating ice.
  • The birds need 80 consecutive snow-free days in a year to raise their chicks. Until recently, this fact limited the birds' range to the southernmost Arctic coast.
  • However, average temperatures in the Arctic have begun to rise.
  • The author thinks that the rise in temperatures will cause the birds' range to be extended northward along the coast. This might make sense... we can infer that it gets colder as you head north, so at some point along the coast there's a limit beyond which it is too cold/snowy for the birds' to raise chicks. If it starts to get warmer in general, that limit might be pushed northward.

Now we need an answer choice that would WEAKEN this logic:

Quote:

An unusually early snow could happen even along the southernmost coast of the Arctic. As long as this is an unusual occurrence and not a regular occurrence, it would not prevent the guillemot's from moving northward. Sure, it would cause some bad years for the guillemots, but that would be true regardless of where they are living (i.e. regardless of how far north they live). Eliminate (A).

Quote:

Choice (B) is tempting, but make sure you notice the word "current". The guillemots already have predators in the south. That doesn't PREVENT the guillemots from living in the south; it simply provides a challenge that the guillemots have to deal with.

If there were FEWER predators farther north, that would certainly make it easier for the guillemots. But if the guillemots' current predators simply move north as well, then the guillemots will face the same danger that they did in the south. Again, this wouldn't PREVENT the guillemots from living in the north; instead, it would mean they have to deal with the same predators that they deal with in the south.

Choice (B) can be eliminated.

Quote:

This fact has no bearing on the author's argument. Will the rising temperatures allow the guillemots to expand their range? Choice (C) provides no evidence either way and can be eliminated.

Quote:

The point of the argument is that "the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged." We're not concerned with decreasing the number of guillemots, only the size of their range. The author's reasoning is that their range will expand as the bird moves northward.

The author assumes that the bird will only add to its range as it moves northward. Choice (D) suggests that the northward expansion will come with a decrease in the range along the southern coast (if the thin ice disappears, the fish that gather under the thin ice might have to move northward). Although this doesn't necessarily disprove the author's point, it's seriously weakens the argument. Hang on to this one.

Quote:

Choice (E) suggests that the guillemots would have LESS competition for food as they move northward. This is evidence that the guillemots WILL be able to survive as they move in that direction. If instead choice (E) said the opposite (that the fish are preyed on by a wider variety of predators farther north), then it would weaken the argument. As is, choice (E) strengthens the argument and can be eliminated.

(D) is the best answer.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
pallavichsk wrote:
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo VeritasKarishma

Why can't we say from option C that, the birds anyways prefer high temperatures due to which they need not migrate northward and extend their range. Does this not hurt the author's argument? Also, in the premise it was mentioned that the birds need 80 snowy free days. Why do they need to extend their range at all?

The author doesn't argue that the birds "need to extend their range." Instead, the author argues that they will probably enlarge their range, because the rising temperatures will make more northern regions hospitable.

We need to weaken this argument. So, the correct answer choice will give us reason to believe that the birds' range will NOT be enlarged even if temperatures continue to rise.

Here's (C):
Quote:

This tells us that, right now, guillemots stick to coastal areas. It does not give us any insight into whether guillemots will extend northward if temperatures continue to rise. Again, the author doesn't think that the birds NEED to go northward -- he/she just thinks that they probably WILL extend northward, because the area will be warm enough to provide 80 snow-free days.

The author's argument is not impacted by the information in (C), so (C) is not the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Problem: In a number of answer choices here, the question is trying to trick you into thinking that the conclusion is that the guillemots will THRIVE in the new areas. But that's not the conclusion. The conclusion is merely that the range of areas in which they can survive will expand. This has no effect on that. The same predators joining them in the new area will result in much the same lifestyle the guillemots already have (same predators).

You're right. It makes you believe that you can break the argument by attacking either (1) range will extend, or (2) range will extend northward
I saw (B) and felt it can definitely weaken the argument because of (2) but it is not necessary that because of predators range won't extend, range can still extend. I should have kept on looking. I actually did but (D) looked so out of scope because it's so easy to miss what looked like not so vital information, 'gather below thin ice-sheets'.
However (D) simply crushes the argument and says that the range will not extend.

Tricky because to go through the whole logic you will have to spend time. Maybe 40 seconds extra. Takeaway is quite clear, go ahead only when you have thought everything through, easier said than done.

Oh man! Tough job. Getting to (B) and (D) is not enough.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
The key skill to master to solve similar questions is to identify the different parts of the conclusion. In this case, the conclusion "Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast" has two key ideas:
1) guillemots range will be enlarged
2) this enlargement will be toward the north

Breaking out the conclusion into its smaller parts helps clarify what we're looking for. We can weaken the conclusion either by disproving that the birds range will be enlarged or disproving that the enlargement will be toward the north. Answer choice D does the former.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
GODSPEED wrote:
Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby land. Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow-free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until average temperatures in the Arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots’ range was limited to the southernmost Arctic coast. Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 197: Critical Reasoning

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Author's Conclusion: "if the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast."

Conclusion will be weaken if any factor, other than warm environment, necessary for their life goes missing in Arctic. Option D talks about such factor.

Correct answer is D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Enough questions enough that I figured it might be worth my weighing in. As any good instructor would, I'm going to focus on the passage first.

Conclusion: Warming will extend Guillemots range north

Premises: Guillemots feed on fish beneath ice, nesting nearby. Need snow-free area to raise chicks. Area is warming, particularly north.

Assumption: Something other than the warming will keep them from extending range.

We know the assumption will be this limited, because otherwise the argument is solid (i.e. if the warm area is expanding, and they can live in warm weather, then obviously their range will expand).

Problem: This has no connection to the issue of range, because this would happen anywhere.

Problem: This doesn't affect the conclusion, which is that the increasing temperatures ELSEWHERE will expand the range of the guillemots.

Answer: This one may look out of scope, but remember that scope isn't really an issue on strengthen/weaken questions; you're allowed to bring in other information. If the thin ice disappears, then the guillemots will not be able to expand their habitat, because they survive on the fish that live under the ice. This relates to their ability to expand. To contrast with B, the predators are THE SAME in the new area or the old. In D, the food source is DIFFERENT (worse) in the new area, which weakens the conclusion.

Problem: This actually strengthens the argument, because the guillemots are planning to move north. fewer predators means a better chance of succeeding.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for very detailed and understandable explanation. I have one concern regarding (c): Answer (C) says that not ALL, but "MUCH of the thin ice" will disappear, implying that Guillemots will still be alive in the south, but not as many quantity as before. If the answer (C) says, "ALL of the thin ice" will disappear, then I would definitely choose (C). Can you please comment on this opinion?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
GMATNinja, gmat1393, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354
dear experts,
I am still confused with B,D,E although I read the whole thread, would you please clarify further and point out what I missed.

I picked up B because
Quote:

if B is true, then why guillemots go to farther north, where maybe danger(if more predators) or similar danger (if as many as predators).
B weakens the conclusion by showing that it is less likely for guillemots to extend northward.

as for D,

before the temperature rise, the guillemots are limited southmost,
if the warming continues, the thin ice disappears, then it is likely for guillemots to extend northward to find a proper area.
I still think D strengthens the conclusion by showing warming causes ice disappear and then cause guillemots extend northward.

as for E
Quote:

if farther north area is less dangerous, why not go there,
E shows another reason -- fewer predator--for guillemots to go northward, instead of warming,
Doesn't E weakens the conclusion that warming cause the extend of range.
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
The author thinks that the rise in temperatures will cause the birds' range to be extended northward along the coast.

Take another look at the exact wording of the conclusion: "if the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast."

The author is primarily arguing that the guillemot's range will be enlarged. He/she then further clarifies exactly how this will occur: "by extending northward along the coast."

With that in mind, take another look at (D):
Quote:
D) If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.

From the passage, we know that the guillemots depend on thin ice near the coast, because they feed on the fish that gather there. If this ice disappears, then the guillemots potentially will not be able to feed!

So, if (D) is true, then the guillemots will probably extend northward to find a suitable climate. But will their range be enlarged, as the author argues?

Not necessarily. Because the southern arctic region will no longer be suitable for guillemots, then moving northward could just shift the range of the birds to a different location, rather than actually enlarging their range.

(D) weakens the author's argument, so it is the correct answer.

Quote:

The guillemots currently coexist with their predators in the southern arctic region. If both the guillemots and their predators extend northward, there is nothing to suggest that the predators will completely stamp out the guillemots in the north. The guillemots' range will still be enlarged, so the information in (B) does not weaken the author's argument.

Quote:

The author argues that guillemots will extend northward because rising temperatures will allow them to raise chicks in more northerly areas of the coast.

(E) just tells us that the guillemot's food source may also have a good shot of thriving farther north. This actually provides additional support for the argument that "if the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast." It doesn't matter that this evidence is different than the evidence supplied in the passage -- it doesn't weaken the author's conclusion, so eliminate (E).

I hope that helps!

Thank you very much for very detailed and understandable explanation. I have one concern regarding (c): Answer (C) says that not ALL, but "MUCH of the thin ice" will disappear, implying that Guillemots will still be alive in the south, but not as many quantity as before. This inference implies that range of Guillmots will actually enlarge. So, this answer does not weaken the conclusion. If the answer (C) says, "ALL of the thin ice" will disappear, then I would definitely choose (C). Can you please comment on this opinion?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
bahruz1992 wrote:
Thank you very much for very detailed and understandable explanation. I have one concern regarding (c): Answer (C) says that not ALL, but "MUCH of the thin ice" will disappear, implying that Guillemots will still be alive in the south, but not as many quantity as before. This inference implies that range of Guillmots will actually enlarge. So, this answer does not weaken the conclusion. If the answer (C) says, "ALL of the thin ice" will disappear, then I would definitely choose (C). Can you please comment on this opinion?

It seems like you’re referring to (D) and not to (C), but let us know if we’re wrong about that!

It’s important to note that to weaken the argument, we do NOT have to prove that the guillemots’ range will disappear. We merely need evidence that the range may not be extended. (D) gives us reason to believe that this is the case, even if all of the thin ice won’t disappear.

For example, let’s say that guillemots currently inhabit 200 square miles along the Arctic coast. It’s possible that arctic warming will allow them to access 50 square miles northward. But if MUCH of their current habitat (let’s say, 100 square miles) disappears, guillemots will only inhabit 150 square miles along the arctic coast. Therefore, even though all of the thin ice will not disappear, their range will NOT increase. For that reason, we can eliminate (D).

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts