It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 01:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 66

GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 22:07
Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby land. Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow-free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until average temperatures in the Arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots’ range was limited to the southernmost Arctic coast. Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemot chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
OUT OF SCOPE- IF WARMING CONTINUES=> UNUSUAL EARLY SNOW??
(B) If the Arctic warming continues, guillemots’ current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.
PREDATORS ARE SAME AS THEY WERE IN SOUTHERN MOST PART SO HUNTING RATE WILL NOT BE EFFECTED.
(C) Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where temperatures are generally higher than in inland areas.
YES IT IS STRENGTHEN ANS=> THEY WILL NOT GO TO INLAND AND WILL REMAIN ALONG THE COAST => STRENGTHENS
(D) If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.
BINGO=> IF THE WARMING CONTINUES AND ICE MELTS => THEN THE WILL THAT USED TO GATHER BENEATH THIN LAYER WILL NOT BE THERE ANYMORE => FOOD SOURCE WILL BE OVER => IMPLYING END OF HABITAT AND => WEAKENING THE ANSWER.
(E) The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by a wider variety of predators in the southernmost Arctic regions than they are farther north.
IT MEANS FISH WILL BE IN MORE QUANTITY IN NORTHERN PART SO STRENGTHENS.

ALSO IF YOU NEGATE THE OPTION D=> IF MORE WARMING AND THEN ICE WILL NOT DISAPPEAR => IT MEANS THEY WILL STILL GET MORE FISH => MEANS THEY CAN GO TO NORTH WITHOUT FOOD PROBLEM
SINCE FISH IS THE ONLY SOURCE. THEREBY NEGATION IS STRENGTHENING THE QUES => ITS A WEAKEN ANSWER.

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 66

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 10:17
We have to weaken
Quote:
Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast.

i still dont understand how disappearance of ice in south will prohibit them from expanding towards North......because disappearance of ice in South is a problem in South ..... That has no bearing on their expansion towards North

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 08:10
D is correct
If no thin ice sheet ,no fish beneath it

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 16:12
My issue with (D): what if, in spite of the thin ice in the southern Arctic disappearing, the guilletmots' range expands so far up north that the loss of thin ice in the south Arctic is insignificant?

the way i see it, there are a few possible ways to decrease the # of guillemots: 1) increase # of predators; 2) decrease food supply. i don't see how 1 can be preferred over the other. they're equally dangerous.

please help

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1872 [0], given: 449

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 09:42
LakerFan24 wrote:
My issue with (D): what if, in spite of the thin ice in the southern Arctic disappearing, the guilletmots' range expands so far up north that the loss of thin ice in the south Arctic is insignificant?

the way i see it, there are a few possible ways to decrease the # of guillemots: 1) increase # of predators; 2) decrease food supply. i don't see how 1 can be preferred over the other. they're equally dangerous.

please help

The point of the argument is that "the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged." We're not concerned with decreasing the number of guillemots, only the size of their range. The author's reasoning is that their range will expand as the bird moves northward.

The author assumes that the bird will only add to its range as it moves northward. Choice (D) suggests that the northward expansion will come with a decrease in the range along the southern coast. Although this doesn't necessarily disprove the author's point, it's seriously weakens the argument and is thus the best answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1872 [0], given: 449

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 00:46
I don't get why the answer is D. What if the disappearance of thin ice in the South prompts the G-birds to venture North? How does this weaken the argument?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 03:12
Now this one's a tricky question. Answer D.

Let me attempt this:

Conclusion of the argument : If the warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast.

Now since we have to weaken this conclusion, we have to try proving either of the following things:
1. The overall Guillemont's population will not enlarge (i.e. will remain same or decrease) when they extend northwards along the coast, OR
2. The Guillemonts will not be able to extend northwards along the coast altogether

Now, let's the consider the supporting premises which are necessary for the Guillemont's survival:
1. fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice
2. 80 consecutive snowfree days

Having considered the premises and the conclusion lets weigh the options B and D:

Option B : If the Arctic warming continues, guillemots’ current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.
The way this option has been worded (emphasis on current predators) makes us believe that Guillemots even before extending to North have predators in the current habitat i.e. along the south coast. And the Guillemots have been been surviving in the south in spite of the presence of predators and hence they will extend and survive in the north even if their predators extend in the north.

Option D : If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.
This option tells us that the Guillemot's survival is directly affected by the thinning of the ice and in turn the food that they feed on. And hence the extension of the birds to the North will not enlarge their numbers but will infact will remain same(or probably decrease?) as there is no food for them in the south.

Hence Option D.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 03:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap