Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
batchgmat wrote:
I'm feeling a bit guilty too, but not really for the reasons you stated. For me, its just for leaving work while we are in a big project (I'm a lead).

But, I've been busy for such a long time, I feel I need the break. GMAT, my sister's wedding, applications + the usual work/family stress...Plus who knows if we will ever get this time again.

So, all that said...I am quitting end of April...Three months of free time! I can't wait :-D

Wouldnt that be four months of free time?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme, don't you also start in August?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
EconGirl wrote:
Rhyme, don't you also start in August?

Not really... things really don't start till Sept 4 for me - with the exception of pre-MBA accounting if I take that (which i wouldnt if I do it over the summer). When does stuff start for everyone else?

August 2007
1 Target mailing date for curriculum guide and registration materials
7 Deadline to enroll in early arrival insurance plan
9 Submit LEAD 360 evaluation, MBTI, TKI and information poll
10 Upload e-resume and complete first year survey
15 Planning for on-campus parking
20 - 24 Pre-MBA Statistics
27 - 31 Pre-MBA Accounting

September 2007
4 Core (orientation) begins - required
10 - 18 Required Core programming
20 Autumn quarter GSB classes begin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think for Wharton it is begining of August for pre-term, which is mandatory. soooooo early :?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
batchgmat wrote:
I'm feeling a bit guilty too, but not really for the reasons you stated. For me, its just for leaving work while we are in a big project (I'm a lead).

But, I've been busy for such a long time, I feel I need the break. GMAT, my sister's wedding, applications + the usual work/family stress...Plus who knows if we will ever get this time again.

So, all that said...I am quitting end of April...Three months of free time! I can't wait :-D

Wouldnt that be four months of free time?

Hmm, I guess, but starting August will make the move to Michigan, then go on a M-Trek, then orientation starts. So the last month isn't entirely free, but should be low-key nonetheless.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I won't feel guilty at all. I've been working hard in a stressful environment for 6+ years and could really use a break. I make good money now, but will probably eventually make a lot more, so I might as well take some time off now.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Stuff at Duke starts August 2! Ugh!

They do the quant bootcamp thing, followed by a global biz/leadership pre-term.

I suppose they figure that at that point, you're in and the wretched, wretched weather won't sway you in other directions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've started reading through this blog... its one of the very few that seems to actually live through the MBA process, a rarity to say the least.

On this page:

https://futurembagirl.blogspot.com/2004_ ... chive.html

You will find:

Quote:
"I am so mad at myself. For some stupid reason, I decided to work right up until the first day of Preterm. Seriously, preterm starts two weeks from today, and I'm working until the Tuesday before preterm. I'm really starting to wish I took a week or two off. Originally, I decided to work to make more money. But now I'm willing to have less money and eat more ramen noodles for some time off before school. Oh well. As my grandmother used to say, "Some folks have to go up fool's mountain." Well, it appears I'm riding first class to the peak of this mountain. Hind sight really is 20/20."

Makes me feel better bout a month / month and a half off.

Originally posted by rhyme on 25 Mar 2007, 16:52.
Last edited by rhyme on 25 Mar 2007, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will feel guiltier if I waste my last chance to enjoy summer with no work commitments.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, that mandatory "pre-term" stuff is BS. If it's mandatory, it should be called something other than pre-term. Those early August starts are very unappealing - Aaudetat, it sounds like you are leaning towards Duke, is that right?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Yeah, that mandatory "pre-term" stuff is BS. If it's mandatory, it should be called something other than pre-term. Those early August starts are very unappealing - Aaudetat, it sounds like you are leaning towards Duke, is that right?

Errr.....uhhhhh.....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't feel guilty about the financial aspect of leaving work early, I feel guilty about shafting my co-workers. I'm managing a major project that concludes in early July. I'm quite certain that I will leave in early June. Its not just to take it easy for awhile. I need to take language classes for Insead, visit relatives I haven't seen in years, take some time to just relax, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have no doubt that I am laziest person on this board. After getting admitted to my backup, I was already thinking about quiting my job in early April, lol. But I needed more money very badly, so I'm looking at may/june now. However, if the market continues to swing back up, I'll quit sooner ;)

orientation and pre-classes start first week of August for me, so I'd only have about 2.5months off, I don't think that is unreasonable. i'll take 1 month to travel and 1 month to get ready with moving, and buying clothes, furniture, day to day stuff.

Did I mention that I've hated my job for the last 6months because of my new team lead? I plan to leave with minimal notice (2 weeks) and leave as much work piled up behind me as possible. mmkay thanks. :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
I have no doubt that I am laziest person on this board. After getting admitted to my backup, I was already thinking about quiting my job in early April, lol. But I needed more money very badly, so I'm looking at may/june now. However, if the market continues to swing back up, I'll quit sooner ;)

orientation and pre-classes start first week of August for me, so I'd only have about 2.5months off, I don't think that is unreasonable. i'll take 1 month to travel and 1 month to get ready with moving, and buying clothes, furniture, day to day stuff.

Did I mention that I've hated my job for the last 6months because of my new team lead? I plan to leave with minimal notice (2 weeks) and leave as much work piled up behind me as possible. mmkay thanks. :lol:

Thats great haha - if I was in I would leave mid-late may so I feel lazier then others here as well. But there is not a bone in my body that feels guilty about it. Maybe I will feel differently if I actualy get an acceptance, but I doubt it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
i'm kind of doing a bit of both -- i'm taking a good amount of time off, but not going to be spending too much money.

i'm leaving my job on 6/8. i'm going to just hang out for a few weeks in june, perhaps taking a 7-10 day trip... any suggestions btw? i was thinking ireland or greece. regardless, that's pretty much the only time i'm going to be spending any chunk of money.

after that i'm spending a month in TX with my sister. actually let me revise that. i will be speding a month in TX with my sister, her husband, her 5 yr old daughter, her newborn son, my mother and father who will be visiting from india, and my sister's cat. yes. all in one house. for one month. :yikes

this will be me at the end of the month ---> :drunk

i'm going to be moving to school mid-august so i can be all set up before we go on our KWEST trips (week-long trip somewhere cool doing something fun).

then school starts.

anyway, don't feel guilty. when are you going to have time like this again?! *maybe* the summer after you finish school, but who knows what the situation could be? i know a bunch of people that just finished bschool this past may. most of them had originally planned on traveling for the summer and instead here's what they did:
-- went home for cousin's wedding
-- started work in june, couldn't get a later start date
-- got married themselves
-- had a baby

ok this was a really long, rambling post. i guess what i really just wanted to say was enjoy the time you have!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am planning to leave work 5/19 and take a 8 day trip to Bermuda, come back bartend for about 3 weeks then travel to Vegas for a week and then go to the Grand Canyon and backpack for another 8-10 days. Then I am going to come back home bartend a few more weeks and move to Houston. I figure that this is really my last chance before retirement to take a bunch of trips in one summer, so might as well take full advantage of it! What is there to feel guilty about? Enjoy your time off and unwind, because you will hit the ground running come August!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
I am planning to leave work 5/19 and take a 8 day trip to Bermuda, come back bartend for about 3 weeks then travel to Vegas for a week and then go to the Grand Canyon and backpack for another 8-10 days. Then I am going to come back home bartend a few more weeks and move to Houston. I figure that this is really my last chance before retirement to take a bunch of trips in one summer, so might as well take full advantage of it! What is there to feel guilty about? Enjoy your time off and unwind, because you will hit the ground running come August!

Hey, we're going to Bermuda too! It's our tax vacation - leaving April 21. If I don't get out of dodge after tax season ends, I will go crazy. We should compare notes, and let me know if there is anything I can check out for you.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2