GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Mar 2019, 21:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

22% (01:50) correct 78% (01:55) wrong based on 1162 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement, led to the severance of his cohort from the more conservative Naturalist artists.

A. Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement,

B. In his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement, Gustav Klimt,

C. Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lent more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of the movement and

D. In his leadership of the Vienna Secession, in which he lent more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement, Gustav Klimt

E. Lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of the movement, Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession 

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Originally posted by reto on 02 Jul 2015, 10:48.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Mar 2019, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 16:57
daagh wrote:
yes; this is a very good question. But the only doubt is whether ' this movement' is ever used in indirect or reported speech.

Dear daagh,
I have tremendous respect for you, my intelligent colleague, but I have to differ with you on this. I think this is NOT a GMAT like question. The vocabulary in this makes it far more like a GRE question! Apparently the author was confused between what make a GMAT SC question hard and what makes a GRE verbal question hard!

"... more ideological and material support..." I know what this means, but these are ideas well beyond what the GMAT SC expects student to know.

"... led to the severance of his cohort from ..." This is willful obfuscation! There is no reason to state this relatively simple idea in such arcane language! Can you imagine if someone put such words into a business report? That person might be laughed out of their job! The GMAT reflects language as it will be used by well-spoken people in the business world, not language used by academics writing on obscure topics.

A GMAT SC practice question that is made hard for the wrong reasons is NOT necessarily a good GMAT SC practice question!

Those are my thoughts on this question.
Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 23:06
reto wrote:
Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement, led to the severance of his cohort from the more conservative Naturalist artists.

A. Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement,
B. In his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement, Gustav Klimt,
C. Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lent more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of the movement and
D. In his leadership of the Vienna Secession, in which he lent more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement, Gustav Klimt
E. Lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of the movement, Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession 

My dear fellows, I was struggling too with it. Here are the OE:

This question deals with readability. This sentence presents a noun (Gustav Klimt) with two modifiers: in his leadership of the Vienna Secession and lending more ideological and material support ... These modifiers should be placed in the most readable construction. This answer choice is stylistically flawed. The placement of the modifier lending more [...] immediately after Vienna Secession creates ambiguity, as it is not clear what or whom lending refers to (Klimt, his leadership, or the Vienna Secession).
Moreover, placing two modifiers one after the other is wordy and awkward.

Stylistically flawed. The placement of the modifier "lending more" immediately after "Vienna Secession" creates ambiguity, as it is not clear what or whom lending refers to. Moreover placing two modifiers one after the other is wordy and awkward.

Personally I chose Answer C, which also proofed to be wrong :) >Incorrect. While this answer choice corrects the original ambiguity, it fails to capture the original meaning of the sentence. This answer choice creates a parallelism between the verbs lent and led, presenting both logical equals: things Gustav Klimt did during his leadership. However, in the original sentence, lent describes the nature of Klimt's leadership whereas led describes the result of this style of leadership. This is a very fine point; however, there is an answer choice which is both grammatically correct and conveys the essence of the sentence more accurately. Remember, you are looking for the best answer choice, not just any valid answer choice.

Correct Answer: This answer choice corrects the original ambiguity by changing the modifier lending more [...] to a relative clause in which he lent (making it clear that it was Klimt who lent). This achieves greater clarity because it avoids the awkwardness of placing two modifiers one after the other. The relative clause now describes the nature of Klimt's leadership, whereas the main verb led describes its results.

While this answer choice corrects the original ambiguity, it does not fit into the original sentence. The second modifying phrase in his leadership of the Vienna Secession should be separated from the rest of the sentence by two commas. However, the corrected sentence lacks a final comma after Secession.

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 09:49
yes; this is a very good question. But the only doubt is whether ' this movement' is ever used in indirect or reported speech.
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 02:45
The gist of the topic is that Gustav, by lending preference for one over the other, led to the split. That the split was caused by his partial bias is an essential factor, which cannot be meaning-wise put in between two commas. . Gustav’s leadership was a just matter of coincidence. For that matter, even Gustav Klimt cannot be put between commas IMO. I see a problem with D.

A. Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement, --- looks good enough for me with the cause and effect brought out by the modifier

B. In his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement, Gustav Klimt, --Gustav Klimt, in between commas as extra information doesn’t mean anything.

C. Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lent more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of the movement and -- here two actions are just connected by the conjunction ‘and’. Beyond that there seems to be no cause and effect.

D. In his leadership of the Vienna Secession, in which he lent more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of this movement, Gustav Klimt --- Here the second modifier seems to be inessential; it looks as though Gustav led to the split due to his leadership; this is not correct. In my understanding

E. Lending more ideological and material support to the Stylist faction of the movement, Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession --- Gustav Klimt in commas is the problem.

Since this is a subtle problem, if we can have an OE form the original author, it would be of great help

This looks like a deep question,though

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 21:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2019, 21:54

Gustav Klimt, in his leadership of the Vienna Secession, lending more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics