Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
H-1B Visa changes – A Potential Boon for MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I understand the concerns that a number of you have regarding the proposed changes to H-1B. First of all, you should be concerned and closely watch any changes to the Visa process. However, some of you are missing the crux of proposed regulations. Hence, please read below:

1. H-1B was designed to enable students such as yourself i.e. those who complete their Masters and MBAs from elite universities to work here. You guys are not abusing the system, a good number of folks from companies such as TCS, Infosys, Satyam etc. are. Because of this abuse, legitimate candidates (you) are unable to secure a Visa because of the upper cap on the number of Visas issued.
2. The proposed regulations primarily seek to address this abuse, hence making more visas available for deserving candidates such as yourself.
3. Duration of OPT: Nothing changes for MBA students. It currently is 1 Year, and will remain the same. For STEM students (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths), there is a proposal that the duration of OPT be reduced. Again this is a secondary agenda item in the proposal, and there is a good chance that the duration will continue to be same.
4. The same companies that hire International MBA students (about 20% of all companies that recruit on campuses) are currently fighting to ensure that these changes are passed in a fair manner.
5. One more thing – H-1B visa is not an immigrant visa. There is no negative impact on immigration policies as a part of these proposals (nothing that pertains to you guys anyway). In fact, some bills want to make immigration easier for H-1B visa holders.

Lastly, remember these are proposals. These proposals are debated, amended, and then passed. The purpose of these proposals is to make it easier for you to secure a Visa. Hence, watch them closely but don’t be afraid of them. Don’t let this give you a reason to procrastinate your GMAT Preparation or MBA application. At the same time should you look at other international B-Schools – Absolutely!! Especially if they provide the same/similar value that US B-Schools provide.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: H-1B Visa changes – A Potential Boon for MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Dear Payal,
Thanks a lot for your detailed response. Good to connect with you months after attending your live classes :lol:

Coming to the topic, I agree we aren't the folks who are abusing the system but the reality of the day is we suffer more than the folks who actually abuse. While this pisses me off sometimes but then I think of what Bill Gates once said: "Life is not fair, get used to it".

There are so many who have already suffered in last 2-3 years and possibly the trend won't change in at least next 1-2 years.

At this point, I really don't care about the "intention" of H1B or the politics around it. Fact is my friends from Stanford, Kellogg and Wharton are returning back to India for lack of H1B sponsors while those who went to tier-2 colleges in India and joined IT firms are working in US on H1B and preparing there GC applications.

I'm not sure who's at gain/loss here. This is how it is. Sad but true...

egmat wrote:
I understand the concerns that a number of you have regarding the proposed changes to H-1B. First of all, you should be concerned and closely watch any changes to the Visa process. However, some of you are missing the crux of proposed regulations. Hence, please read below:

1. H-1B was designed to enable students such as yourself i.e. those who complete their Masters and MBAs from elite universities to work here. You guys are not abusing the system, a good number of folks from companies such as TCS, Infosys, Satyam etc. are. Because of this abuse, legitimate candidates (you) are unable to secure a Visa because of the upper cap on the number of Visas issued.
2. The proposed regulations primarily seek to address this abuse, hence making more visas available for deserving candidates such as yourself.
3. Duration of OPT: Nothing changes for MBA students. It currently is 1 Year, and will remain the same. For STEM students (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths), there is a proposal that the duration of OPT be reduced. Again this is a secondary agenda item in the proposal, and there is a good chance that the duration will continue to be same.
4. The same companies that hire International MBA students (about 20% of all companies that recruit on campuses) are currently fighting to ensure that these changes are passed in a fair manner.
5. One more thing – H-1B visa is not an immigrant visa. There is no negative impact on immigration policies as a part of these proposals (nothing that pertains to you guys anyway). In fact, some bills want to make immigration easier for H-1B visa holders.

Lastly, remember these are proposals. These proposals are debated, amended, and then passed. The purpose of these proposals is to make it easier for you to secure a Visa. Hence, watch them closely but don’t be afraid of them. Don’t let this give you a reason to procrastinate your GMAT Preparation or MBA application. At the same time should you look at other international B-Schools – Absolutely!! Especially if they provide the same/similar value that US B-Schools provide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Rohit6 : I also have a friend who is an alumnus of Tepper. He was working in a small boutique consulting firm. He was told to leave the firm. Now he is searching for a job in Canada. We are on very shaky grounds now.
If you don't mind me asking, are you still planning to pursue your MBA this year? Or you are looking to do in some other country such as Canada? Just wanted to know your viewpoint.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Duke '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Hello theincredible!
Is it possible to find a job in Canada after MBA in USA? I mean in visa terms - is it tough or not very?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BagretsovaN wrote:
Hello theincredible!
Is it possible to find a job in Canada after MBA in USA? I mean in visa terms - is it tough or not very?

BagretsovaN : Hi there, things are pretty much simple in Canada. Its pretty much easier to find jobs in Canada and visa policies are encouraging for international students. Although the Canadian economy is not as big as US, jobs are plenty, especially in business hubs such as Toronto and Vancouver. I think Canada seem like the better option right now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi theincredible!

I know that Canadian legislation toward international students is more favoritable, but is the same for international students who studied on other countries such as USA? However, the top MBA programs in USA are much higher in the ratings than Canadian. Education is for the whole life, not only to get the first job. So I consider option to get the degree in USA, and in case of visa problems try to get a visa/job in Canada.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm still going to do an MBA from US. I'm hopefully putting down my ISB admit and choosing a top US program.

theincredible wrote:
Rohit6 : I also have a friend who is an alumnus of Tepper. He was working in a small boutique consulting firm. He was told to leave the firm. Now he is searching for a job in Canada. We are on very shaky grounds now.
If you don't mind me asking, are you still planning to pursue your MBA this year? Or you are looking to do in some other country such as Canada? Just wanted to know your viewpoint.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rohit6 wrote:
I'm still going to do an MBA from US. I'm hopefully putting down my ISB admit and choosing a top US program.

theincredible wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I wish you all the best for your future!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
theincredible, thank you for your point of view.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BagretsovaN wrote:
theincredible, thank you for your point of view.

Absolutely!! Happy to help. I think this thread deserves more posts. Would have been really interesting to everyone's point of view on this very critical issue that will inevitably affect our careers.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3124 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Amid ‘Trump Effect’ Fear, 40% of Colleges See Dip in Foreign Applicants

Source -> New York Times => https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/us/international-students-us-colleges-trump.html?_r=0
Intern
Intern
Send PM
stonecold wrote:
Amid ‘Trump Effect’ Fear, 40% of Colleges See Dip in Foreign Applicants

Source -> New York Times => https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/us/international-students-us-colleges-trump.html?_r=0

Thanks for posting this!! Yes I read the article sometime back and was not surprised to see this. This was expected as international students constitute an humongous group of people applying to US bschools. I have heard that they plan to increase scholarships to attract international students. Although, I am not sure if that will convince international students. One of my friends rejected an offer from Tepper and Anderson and is joining Schulich this year. He was rejected from Rotman. In an unprecedented state of affairs, Schulich's seats were filled by mid January and Rotman has rejected/waitlisted a record number of Indian students with very high gmat scores. Things are finally looking up for Canada and Canadian bchools!!
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
theincredible wrote:

Thanks for posting this!! Yes I read the article sometime back and was not surprised to see this. This was expected as international students constitute an humongous group of people applying to US bschools. I have heard that they plan to increase scholarships to attract international students. Although, I am not sure if that will convince international students. One of my friends rejected an offer from Tepper and Anderson and is joining Schulich this year. He was rejected from Rotman. In an unprecedented state of affairs, Schulich's seats were filled by mid January and Rotman has rejected/waitlisted a record number of Indian students with very high gmat scores. Things are finally looking up for Canada and Canadian bchools!!

Hi theincredible,

I bumped into that very recent discussion about Schulich if you are interested.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/schulich-yor ... 36244.html

Regarding the scholarship to attract internationals, I heard the same as you had. But it is unclear to do because the cuts to in federal fund are massive to many sectors in the states including education in all levels in order to fund defense and security. We will see what will happen the incoming few months.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I don't think the number of applications to US B-Schools are reducing, as the average GMAT of admitted students ( Indian) are nearly 30 to 40 points higher than average GMAT of school.
Moreover, what I believe the selling point for all the top 30 US B-Schools is the global exposure they provide to candidates, and the diversity which is there in the class. If these schools starts reducing international students, the whole global experience and diversity will go for a toss, eventually reducing the interest from domestic students as well.
However, post MBA job opportunities is still a big question?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CrackuM7 wrote:
I don't think the number of applications to US B-Schools are reducing, as the average GMAT of admitted students ( Indian) are nearly 30 to 40 points higher than average GMAT of school.
Moreover, what I believe the selling point for all the top 30 US B-Schools is the global exposure they provide to candidates, and the diversity which is there in the class. If these schools starts reducing international students, the whole global experience and diversity will go for a toss, eventually reducing the interest from domestic students as well.

True @crackum7. The US schools do value diversity a lot and international students are a big contributor to the overall value proposition of an us mba and higher gmat scores. The jobs prospects are the primary reason why international students are concerned about doing an MBA from US. That's why it's in the best Interest of US schools to provide more scholarships and attract students. Other countries such as Canada and Australia are looking much better in terms of job prospects post MBA.

As @mo2men has said, we'll have to wait and see.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rohit6 wrote:
To be more specific with MBA crowd this year the total number of applications have increased by a factor of 5-20% depending on the school. I guess majority contribution in this would have been of internationals. Having said that, adcoms are expecting a falling yields this year due to the trump fiasco and the related uncertainty. Sure the number/ratio of international students going to top MBA programs in US won't change in near future but yields will drop, meaning more folks will turn down offers. This is already happening. I know of multiple folks who have left good US schools, some even with scholarships, for ISB/NUS/INSEAD.

In larger context, I don't think students are at a loss here. A good student who could have gone to a top 20 US school will do well even a Canadian/ISB/NUS/Australia MBA. It's the US schools and more so the US that is at loss here. Disagree with me? Think of how many international students apply to schools like HEC/IE/IESE these days? Majority of top candidates don't consider these schools. These countries started restricting immigrants few years back and results are visible now. If US policies stay the same, US schools r bound to follow the fate. Though I personally hope (and pray) that never happens.

theincredible wrote:
CrackuM7 wrote:

True CrackuM7. The US schools do value diversity a lot and international students are a big contributor to the overall value proposition of an us mba and higher gmat scores. The jobs prospects are the primary reason why international students are concerned about doing an MBA from US. That's why it's in the best Interest of US schools to provide more scholarships and attract students. Other countries such as Canada and Australia are looking much better in terms of job prospects post MBA.

As Mo2men has said, we'll have to wait and see.

Rohit6 : Good analysis there, buddy. However, let me point out one specific thing here. In the long run, students are going to be in a huge loss. Can you imagine a MBA market where US is no longer an option? What remains? Canada, Australia and probably Germany (not sure though!). How many good schools do you know in these countries? You can probably count them on your fingertips. US constitutes a very large chunk of bschools and for good reason too. We'll have even fewer choices and that's very scary! The competition will be immense and international students with lower gmat scores will be affected more. The downfall of US bschools is good news for nobody. I am literally scared to think about the situation if US goes in the way of UK.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
theincredible
Hi Buddy,
Below are my thoughts:

"In the long run, students are going to be in a huge loss"
They're going to be in a loss, for sure. My point was that US schools will be at a Bigger loss. Sure this situation brings good to no1 but good folks, who are willing to work hard and make a difference will do that in spite of all these geopolitical changes.

"Can you imagine a MBA market where US is no longer an option?"
Absolutely. US business schools have risen to there present status only in the last few decades. I wouldn't be surprised if US schools or MBA as a degree loose there sheen and reputation in the next few years/decades.

Having said that, I would also like to point out that US schools, over the last few decades, have successfully stood the test of time and have evolved significantly. I'm sure US schools will keep evolving. What if US schools start to push globalization and diversity the way to they push sustainability and social issues now? That'll change the whole game. Moreover, as the political dynamics change, I'm sure new leaders will come up in other parts of the world. If there aren't options today in Australia/Canada/Emerging world doesn't mean there won't be tomorrow. In long-term market forces will take charge and new leaders will emerge (ISB is one such good example)

IMHO change is always good in long-term. Let's me optimistic.

I understand your present situation completely. My suggestion would be to make the best decision based on "present" day circumstances without predicting the future and in long-term always be ready for surprises :-D

Do I make sense?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5