Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Hard work, soft gains [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
As you take a break for the next few weeks or months, I would just read books. I found many of them enjoyable and interesting and captivating that motivated me to keep reading them, get very little sleep, and be pretty tired at work the next day 😂

You will probably encounter a number of words that you are not familiar with. At first I was writing them all out, then I was looking them up in the dictionary and by the end I would only look them up if I run into the same word twice. This is especially true about some historic books where they were talking about specific terms for carriage pieces or weapons and having a general idea was good enough for me.

For the Gmail, when you restart, make sure that you don’t go for another three months and then realize that the improvement is not where you expected it to be. I would not worry about taking full tests. There is no reason to face Mike Tyson in the ring if all you’ve mastered is a jab. You will go down just as fast or perhaps even faster since you’ll be overconfident. Master each little chapter. Use questions for specific topics to test yourself and aim to have 90% correct if you’re looking for a high score or about 75% correct if you’re looking for a 650. Obviously this would be a mix of various difficulty of questions. So let’s say 10 questions with difficulties of easy, medium and hard equally distributed. This way, you will know if you were progressing or not within a week. And if it’s not working, then you are not wasting a lot of time thinking you’re doing well but in reality just spinning your wheels. If something doesn’t work, do you want to find that out as soon as possible.

If you’re running into a mistake or a question that really threw you off or had a pretty interesting trick about it or was particularly sneaky, I suggest you save it somehow. Are used to print them out and put them in the folder that I would review on a regular basis.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
nikosgan wrote:
Hi all,

My GMAT prep has been a really interesting yet difficult experience for me so far, as I have gone through a series of burnouts.

Having a rusty C1 level of English, I started my GMAT Prep on June 2020.

During the first three months of my prep, I started becoming comfortable with the mechanics of this test and I managed to get my score to 520(Veritas Prep Mocks), but I had experienced a burnout by the end of the summer. The GMAT English level used to cause me headaches. I had to take 1 month off my prep.

From November to December, I spent another 3 months of dedicated studying to improve my level of English, while studying for GMAT Quant. A few days ago I got my Ielts score (8/9). Overall, I have significantly improved my English skills and I feel very comfortable with the language. Right now I can easily comprehend RC passages or study any GMAT material without getting a headache. After those last 3 months I can confidently score a 550-580 (Quant 39, Verbal 30, MGMAT Mocks).
Unfortunately, I feel burned out again and I'm taking another break.

My initial plan was to score at least a 650 by February 2021, but right now this goal seems unrealistic.
The problem is that I have another 3 months until May in order to prepare for the GMAT and this final period is my last chance to prepare.

I went through all MGMAT guides for Quant.
I solved questions, both Quant and Verbal, from the GmatClub forum.
I completed the Quant section of OG 2020.

To sum up, it feels like I am spending an enormous amount of energy for the GMAT, yet I do not seem to get any significant improvement.

Note that I do not blame any of the material for my ineffeciency nor do I blame myself. I understand that even though I did not significantly improve on the GMAT, at least I have significantly improved my English skills. This improvement was vital to me, so I guess this is a win!

As for the GMAT, what do I possibly do wrong?
Any advice would be welcome. I should somehow improve the structure and efficiency of my studying. I do not want to get myself into another 3-month cycle of intense studying only for a 20 points improvement. I also do not want to get burned out before Test Day.

Thanks!

Hey nikosgan,

If your score is stagnant, that means that you are probably not doing the prep in the right way. I did this mistake during the initial stages of my preparation. I didn't know how to study, what things to focus on. I just learnt the concepts and spent hours and hours practicing questions. I was in a misconception that practicing more questions would help me improve my score. But I could eventually score inly 570 in my first attempt.

That's when I got in touch with a mentor and got to know the right way to prepare for GMAT. Between learning the concepts and practicing questions, there's one important step I missed, that is learning the right methodology. I started focusing on the methods and strategies and I could see the result. I improved my score to 680 and then finally to 720.

I would suggest you to get in touch with a mentor if possible. Get to know your weak areas and focus on learning the right methodology. And I don't see any standard resource you used in your prep. Use a good standard resource which can help you with the methodology and detailed solutions of the questions you practice. There's nothing wrong in investing in the right resource. It's worth it rather than just spending months and months for preparation and finally ending up not getting a good score.

You can go through my debrief to understand how I approached my GMAT.

My journey from 570 to 680 to 720 - Things I did differently

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-f ... l#p2648110

Hope it helped. All the best :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Hi. I am sorry about the lack of progress. It is hard to balance learning English and taking the GMAT. The two are kind of connected but ideally you would get the language proficiency done first instead of doing it simultaneously.

As to your study plan, I highly recommend targeting three months rather than six or longer. It is very hard to maintain momentum and initiative when you’re studying for that long. It’s also hard to keep track of all the nuances and traps.

The good news is that it seems you can improve in both quarantine Verbal. It seems you have raised your level to a good base and need to focus on getting both improved. Frankly, I would focus on the area you could improve the most and fastest. Then, I would focus on the more challenging which probably is the verbal, while doing 10% or 15% of your time for reviewing quant to stay fresh.

I would also recommend reading GMAT fiction. You can see what that is about.

Your words are very helpful, honestly! I'll focus my energy on the next three months, using your tips for my study plan and hopefully I should improve enough and sit the test before I get exhausted.

The GMAT fiction seems very motivating for non-native speakers such as myself, and it should add a tone of inspiration to my studying!

bb, thank you for your help!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
As you take a break for the next few weeks or months, I would just read books. I found many of them enjoyable and interesting and captivating that motivated me to keep reading them, get very little sleep, and be pretty tired at work the next day 😂

You will probably encounter a number of words that you are not familiar with. At first I was writing them all out, then I was looking them up in the dictionary and by the end I would only look them up if I run into the same word twice. This is especially true about some historic books where they were talking about specific terms for carriage pieces or weapons and having a general idea was good enough for me.

For the Gmail, when you restart, make sure that you don’t go for another three months and then realize that the improvement is not where you expected it to be. I would not worry about taking full tests. There is no reason to face Mike Tyson in the ring if all you’ve mastered is a jab. You will go down just as fast or perhaps even faster since you’ll be overconfident. Master each little chapter. Use questions for specific topics to test yourself and aim to have 90% correct if you’re looking for a high score or about 75% correct if you’re looking for a 650. Obviously this would be a mix of various difficulty of questions. So let’s say 10 questions with difficulties of easy, medium and hard equally distributed. This way, you will know if you were progressing or not within a week. And if it’s not working, then you are not wasting a lot of time thinking you’re doing well but in reality just spinning your wheels. If something doesn’t work, do you want to find that out as soon as possible.

If you’re running into a mistake or a question that really threw you off or had a pretty interesting trick about it or was particularly sneaky, I suggest you save it somehow. Are used to print them out and put them in the folder that I would review on a regular basis.

I already ordered a few books that I liked from the GMAT Fiction :lol: They should be a great boost!
I love fiction, so it should make my experience much more fun! Besides, getting myself drown into a hopeless score-hunting hell just for the sake of it is pointless. What matters more is probably enjoying the process.

For the Gmat, so far I focused on concept building and I randomly solved questions from every topic, but I lacked structure. To be honest, I feared that I'll spend another 3-months of effort without any important improvement.
You're advice is brilliant! I'll change my approach by focusing on each little chapter and try to master it before moving to the next one. I'll also use the forum for guidance. The method that you describe is very structured and methodical, and so, I am not afraid of the end result anymore, since I know that I can at least keep better track of my improvement and set more realistic goals every week.

I'll take some days off to recharge and do my readings, and as soon as I come back for my prep I'll make better use of the GMAT Club forum and the GMAT Club Tests by following your tips. You're amazing!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nikosgan,

From what we discussed back in August, it sounds as though you took a logical approach to the last several months of your studies (and working on the IELTS during that time was a smart choice). Depending on how you have scored on your most recent GMAT CATs/mocks, you might be closer to a 650+ than you probably realize. However, if you're continuing to answer GMAT questions in the same general ways that you did before (without honing new, Tactical skills), then that might explain why you are scoring at the same general level right now. To score at a much higher level, you need to change how you "see" (and respond to) the overall Exam.

1) Over the last 3 months, what type of study routine have you been following? How many hours have you typically studied for the GMAT each week?
2) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello nikosgan,

GMAT Club is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, etc.

Your current GMAT mock score is shaky. You can schedule a Free counseling(https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session) session for 20 mins with one of our experts to have detailed advice on your current study plans.

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• Not detailed knowledge of GMAT Math pattern and Question types
• Inefficiency by using time-consuming Conventional method to tackle DS and PS questions still
• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning
• Lack of many updated questions and practice in the recent exam trend
• Not well aligned with time to solve questions.

Precisely, there has to be one end-to-end solution encompassing all the points mentioned above. We also want to understand your approach to solving PS and DS questions. You can try our free diagnostic test https://www.mathrevolution.com/diagnostic/dtExamMember and receive a comprehensive study guide by topic. This test will clearly help you understand your weak areas.

Your study plan will now change as you are already ready with the vital concepts and their application. The diagnostic test report will give us detailed insight into various topics and your performance. After an in-depth analysis, we will draw out the category of the topics in which you are already better and those where you need more improvement. Also, we will be able to compare your performance while solving the PS and DS questions

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve a score of 650+. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

We recommend that you must learn the Variable Approach for solving DS questions and the IVY approach for solving PS questions in order to improve your accuracy and save time while solving the question types.

The most important thing for you will be learning and commanding the Variable Approach for DS questions and IVY Approach for PS questions. These approaches are the robust self-designed time-saving techniques that will help you learn efficiently, thus raising your score in the quick nick of time.

Register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons.

700+ level questions https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/questionbank are separately available, too. Start with the learning of the concepts. Make a habit of taking notes during the initial learning of the concepts.

After registering, you will have access to the practice section. Initially, try solving the DS and/or PS questions from very easy and easy category questions on the topic(s) you have learned. You may also connect with one of our experts to get one of the best tutoring supports, which will help understand the topic(s) and solve questions and learn how to manage time and accuracy.

Adding to the same, mastery of the Variable Approach to solve DS questions and the IVY approach to solve PS questions would add a feather to the cap. Below is the useful link we will recommend you to visit on GMAT club to experience the power of DS and IVY approaches.

Ultimate Q51 guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate ... l#p1613600

Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Punit Joshi
Math Revolution Team
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
nikosgan wrote:
Hi all,

My GMAT prep has been a really interesting yet difficult experience for me so far, as I have gone through a series of burnouts.

Having a rusty C1 level of English, I started my GMAT Prep on June 2020.

During the first three months of my prep, I started becoming comfortable with the mechanics of this test and I managed to get my score to 520(Veritas Prep Mocks), but I had experienced a burnout by the end of the summer. The GMAT English level used to cause me headaches. I had to take 1 month off my prep.

From November to December, I spent another 3 months of dedicated studying to improve my level of English, while studying for GMAT Quant. A few days ago I got my Ielts score (8/9). Overall, I have significantly improved my English skills and I feel very comfortable with the language. Right now I can easily comprehend RC passages or study any GMAT material without getting a headache. After those last 3 months I can confidently score a 550-580 (Quant 39, Verbal 30, MGMAT Mocks).
Unfortunately, I feel burned out again and I'm taking another break.

My initial plan was to score at least a 650 by February 2021, but right now this goal seems unrealistic.
The problem is that I have another 3 months until May in order to prepare for the GMAT and this final period is my last chance to prepare.

I went through all MGMAT guides for Quant.
I solved questions, both Quant and Verbal, from the GmatClub forum.
I completed the Quant section of OG 2020.

To sum up, it feels like I am spending an enormous amount of energy for the GMAT, yet I do not seem to get any significant improvement.

Note that I do not blame any of the material for my ineffeciency nor do I blame myself. I understand that even though I did not significantly improve on the GMAT, at least I have significantly improved my English skills. This improvement was vital to me, so I guess this is a win!

As for the GMAT, what do I possibly do wrong?
Any advice would be welcome. I should somehow improve the structure and efficiency of my studying. I do not want to get myself into another 3-month cycle of intense studying only for a 20 points improvement. I also do not want to get burned out before Test Day.

Thanks!

Hi nikosgan

I don't think there's any point giving up now as you have spent some much time in preparing for GMAT. If you can just analyze your weak areas, identify what's holding your score back and work on it, then I think you will score well on GMAT. Let me help you with the same.

Reasons for the score being stagnant:

One main reason could be you are probably not doing your prep in the right way. If you have focused more on the concepts and practicing questions, then I am afraid you have missed one important step in between, that is, learning the right methodology. Your approach towards solving questions determines your score on GMAT. For example, in verbal, you have to use the right methods and strategies to eliminate four incorrect options rather than choosing the right one. There are ways in which you can identify the incorrect answer choices. GMAT follows a specific pattern for that. So, your preparation has to be more structured as it will help you track your progress and work on your weak areas.

As you are planning to take the test in Feb, I suggest you to make a proper study plan and have weekly deadlines. This way you can be clear of what to study on any given day. And most importantly, I suggest you to switch to a resource which can help you to learn the right methodology and work on your weak areas. You can check out GMATWhiz course for that matter.

If you wish to know any specific study strategy, I suggest that we get in touch over a call so that I can analyze your approach of solving questions, identify the flaw if there's any and suggest you the plan. This will help me understand your concerns and guide you in a better way. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep, your description is very detailed and it really helps to carefuly work towards my goal! After trying it out, the TargetTestPrep study plan seems to perfectly suit my needs, and so, I decided to invest on it for the rest of my prep.

In my opinion, every prep platform, along with its team, is excellent after trying it out, but eventually making a choice depends on each individual's needs and learning style.

vamshikaithi, I read your entire debrief and it became an important source of motivation, as I related to your story. I bookmarked your debrief in order to often refer to it both for inspiration and tips. I hope to return a few months later with a success debrief such as yours!

EMPOWERgmatRichC, I really appreciate your help since you adviced me to focus on my language proficiency first, and to be honest this advice was gold before proceeding solely on the GMAT.

MathRevolution, I considered the barriers that you mentioned for my improvement. I also think that both the Variable and the IVY approach are really interesting for solving Quant questions.

GmatWhizTeam, I reflected on your post and it is indeed the lack of proper approach and methodology, besides concept learning, that might affect my results. Your video is extremely helpful and it provided me with a deeper understanding on how the test works.

Overall, I've got something unique from each of your answers, as they helped me to reflect and properly adjust my study approach.

Thank all of you for your insights and your encouragment! I hope that these insights will also help and encourage other test takers who have a prep experience relatable to mine!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
nikosgan wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep, your description is very detailed and it really helps to carefuly work towards my goal! After trying it out, the TargetTestPrep study plan seems to perfectly suit my needs, and so, I decided to invest on it for the rest of my prep.

In my opinion, every prep platform, along with its team, is excellent after trying it out, but eventually making a choice depends on each individual's needs and learning style.

I'm pumped to have you on board! I'm here if you need me.
GMAT Club Bot