Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing
GRE 1: Q160 V168
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [3]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
GC'ers,

Thanks for letting me hang with you all. This forum has helped me get through these last few months as I, at times, blindly navigated the b-school app/interview process.

Whatever the outcome tomorrow, it's been a real pleasure going through this rough process with you all.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
IN! First admit for me....feels awesome!

R1 Folks, what is the next course of action now? Fin aid apps?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.8
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
HBS said yes. I am so incredibly happy. In fact, I just spent about 20 minutes sobbing in the conference room and calling the boyfriend/parents/etc.

Dee Leopold also called me at like 12:10 to say congrats, which was an incredibly nice touch. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in ! totally psyched ... 5 out of 5 !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
mkilfoyle wrote:
anyone get invited in from round three?

I'm surprised how quiet the "Calling all Applicants" forums have gone. I was hoping for some insights from others who may have gone through this last year or this year. I'll relay my experiences as a R3 invitee - hopefully others will find it useful when they search for info next spring.

I was an R3 applicant largely due to time restraints. In retrospect, I wish I'd done R2 and probably would have made life a little easier on myself. As it stands, I got a 740 GMAT and had interesting work experience working on one of the Presidential campaigns. I applied, spending close to a week on my essays. I found it very helpful to outline the entire application as a sort of super-long essay, with the essays themselves supporting assertions made earlier (analytical appetite for instance).

The class visit was great and the interview was casual. Despite what others say, you can absolutely prep for your interview. If you can't answer a question as basic as "Why are you choosing to leave your chosen profession behind" in two or three sentences, it will definitely show. They ask a lot of questions that are harder to prepare for "elaborate on that idea, etc", but you definitely need a game plan.

It's not a terribly nerve wracking 30 minutes - it flies right by. The interviewers are nice and understand what's at stake, so they make you comfortable. Stay calm and know what you want to say and you'll survive the interview - which is really the main point of this thing. Don't blow it by rambling or being unprepared.

There were quite a few interviewees there, so R3 applicants definitely get invited to interview. They probably fill 50-100 seats in R3, so it's certainly possible to get in.

I hear the final decision on May 15th - fingers crossed. Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Updated class of 2014 stats in main post. Link here: https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/class-statistics/ and Blog entry here: https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html

A little bewildered with the reduction in international student numbers. also, asia number down by 1% or 10 students - thats quite a drop. bad news for peeps like me
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Man, HBSguru, tell us how you really feel.

Maybe my thought process is why I wont get in to any b-school, but I believe you are going a little far writing about the benefit of knowing a Nazi victim (I apologize if I missed sarcasm). But how is that going to get me into business school? I feel despise for a system that rewards people for being "lucky enough" to know someone who has gone through pain and suffering. When does it just become about being in business, and not whose father is the senator of what, who worked in the white house?

Sandy, I have read many of your posts and respect you as a consultant, but sincerely disagree with your latest post here.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [2]
Kudos
arunpanda22 wrote:
hi,
nice spirited discussion going on here so I thought I would throw in my question.

Does anything offset low GPA for HBS short of being personal aid to president Bush?? because wherever I read everybody says GPA is very important for HBS. Right but its a done thing. you cant get a undergrad GPA again. and to measure by something one person did when he/she wasn't even old enough to vote (or maybe buy liquor) after years of work seems a bit unfair doesn't it?? HBS being a school that it is I dont think it would let a leader go just because of some low GPA in some college some years ago.any views on that!!!!!!!

WELL, the average HBS GPA is 3.67, so you can do the math, but for openers, that means that ~460 kids there have GPA's HIGHER THAN THAT.
of the 460 with LOWER scores, my guess is most bunch between 3.47 and 3.67, b.c. well, there just aint much room on other side of the see-saw.
Of the outlier low GPA's, my guess is most are minorities, special cases, HIGH GMATS, and sure some mad money bets. But real few.
BTW what do you mean by 'low' GPA? The best way to balance a low GPA is 1. high GMAT, 2. alternative transcript. E.g. take courses in person for credit at local U. Esp. stats, micro, finance, blah, blah.
The kind of 'leadership' you are referring to, that HBS would be "reluctant" to let go of b.c. of low GPA, dunno, that is really hard to come by, and amazingly often peeps with amazing leadership stories ALSO have high GPA's. The two are not contradictory.
OK< I'm always willing to learn, if anyone knows any sub 3.0 GPA person at HBS, let me know. Or even sub 3.2
(prob a couple of those ).
PS--just read your profile --7 yrs military w. active leadership etc. and 2.8 GPA. I'm impressed but your great military service is not going to kick in the door at HBS, how come, too many military guys with service close to that (on paper, and sometimes in fact) who have higher GPA. Sorry but adcom is not in the business of comparing leadership, bravery, responsibilities etc. of military applicants, they can, however, compare GPA. Great recs, and military recs vary a lot (I've read 100s) could make a diff, but some of that is luck, given that military rec writers have wide range of abilities to execute, altho some good ones can blow you away. Good luck, if you write back to tell me (after you get in) I was wrong about you, I'll be ecstatic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, everyone who has posted giving up hope could be waitisted as well, and then accepted! Or you might get in to another school and imagine "Wow, if I had gotten into HBS, I would have never XYZ". Stay positive!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Kudos
Everything works out in the end. No email from Harvard at noon, but got into Columbia at 1. Funny how things happen.

Keep your head up. It's still early in the process.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
Although we all would have preferred an invite yesterday, let me point out a simple fact:

There are people who are disappointed right now after not hearing anything who definitely WILL get into HBS. There are people who are elated right now who will definitely NOT get into HBS.

Obviously the odds are not on the side of waiting, but this is a binary process and odds don't really matter. You either got in 100% or got in 0%. Not a cure-all, but let's keep hoping for those lucky few who get interviews/waitlist offers next week.

Originally posted by dwal44 on 18 Oct 2012, 00:41.
Last edited by dwal44 on 18 Oct 2012, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '15 (D)
GPA: 3.98
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Well on Oct. 24 2011, Dee said "We're going to send out invitations on the next 3 Wednesdays - October 26, November 2 and November 9. NOT on any day in between. Many will go out on October 26, some will go out on November 2 and 9".

As you can see, she set upfront the distribution. This year, she did exactly the opposite.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Kudos
After seeing the stats of you other fine folks that were dinged as well, I don't feel bad at all, there are some brilliant people here that didn't get interviews. Don't get down on yourselves, success is not defined by a Harvard degree. Thankfully for me I applied for 2+2, so I have some time to build my profile and apply to a range of schools in a couple years. Keep your heads up guys. To those invited to interviews, great job, you worked you tails off and you deserve it, best wishes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 838 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Haha, that's what I thought. Let's say you have those amazing connections into HBS. Why would you go on the internet and let everyone know that you are gaming the system? Either you are a first rate, arrogant d*** that will give HBS a bad reputation in the future or you are just having fun spilling lies on the internet. In any case, I think schools these days try to make an effort to keep legacy and nepotistic admissions more to a minimum, although arguably there will always be people that can game the system.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Ugh - this is such a horrible time... the agonizing wait. I interviewed almost a month ago and it's so easy to replay that interview over and over again wishing I used a stronger example here or there. Alas, no going back. Only keeping my fingers crossed for a positive decision in December.

Sandy - your response above is helpful to put that into perspective. The interview is less about getting yourself in, it's more about not getting cut.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Kudos
mission1234 wrote:
daltcap wrote:
Anyone else interview in California?

I did interview in CA. Did anyone else get Dee's email about what to expect next?

Yep, got the email. I love how transparent and clear they are.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
looks about right. the "no" sounds like a high school break up :P
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  64   
Moderators: