Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [10]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [12]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [8]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [8]
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Congrats to all those invited for R2! I'll go out on a limb and on behalf of the R1 Admits, I am excited for you. I really enjoyed the interviewing process (met many people interview day that I am now friends with/reunited with at ASW).

Just some thoughts on interviewing--

1) Be online tomorrow right when interview scheduling opens, and be prepared. Know your schedule and which days of the week are ideal. I found the early AM slots did not go as quick, so it might be less stressful to aim for those rather than refresh and have a panic when you can't get your preferred time.

2) Think hard about trying to come to campus. I am local to Boston so on-campus was the default for me, but if it is within your means to come to campus to interview, it is worth it. I spent 2 days (day before interview, day of) wandering around, doing a class visit (HIGHLY recommended, see below), talking with other interviewees (many of whom I am now friends with), etc. HBS offers a lot of programming on campus around the interviews and I think that was very valuable. Set my mind at ease too. That said, I've met people who interviewed out of the country or ex-Boston and found that to be a positive, professional, and consistent experience to on-campus.

3) Do a class visit if you interview on campus. Seeing the case method live in action was the highlight of my interview experience. It gave me a much clearer sense of how I might fit in to the HBS community. Also found it somewhat relaxing - guests aren't in the hot seat. :) If you can, schedule a class visit before your interview.

4) Throw all of your thoughts away about your GMAT, stats, etc. If you got an invite to interview, they aren't relevant anymore. Focus on your story, why HBS, and get in the mindset to say "I can see myself here."

5) Don't try to prepare. Really, Dee wrote to us that you can't prep for the interview. You really can't. I got asked questions about two obscure interests on the most blighted part of my app (the last line of my resume). Other people I know got grilled on their job. Some people got management consultant type questions. It's a complete roulette, specific to you.

6) Make as many meaningful acquaintances as you can at interviews, wherever they are. I am still talking to the people who sat next to me waiting to be interviewed - plus the reunion was that much sweeter at ASW seeing friends make it through the needle's eye. Get in the mindset that these are your future classmates - not your interview competition.

7) Try not to worry about the 30 minute time limit. I'm sure you all know that interviews are a blisteringly short 30 minutes. I was fortunate in that mine wrapped up organically in that time. But it's the interviewer's job to keep it to 30 minutes, not yours. Offer answers that are honest, direct, but evident of your personality, and the interviewers will dial things up or down as they would like.

8) Think of your second "silent" interviewer as a potential third party to the conversation. Perhaps my experience was unique, but I got some dialogue going with my first and second interviewers (who is supposed to be a seen-not-heard observer for the most part.) At the beginning of my interview, this had a huge impact in putting me at ease and making my time feel conversational. Not sure you can manufacture this, but if your second interviewer engages you, engage them as best you can.

9) Don't focus on the reflection essay until after you finish. After grabbing my interviewer's cards (write a handwritten thank-you!!!), I went and wrote down all the questions I was asked right away. But not a second before.

10) Don't be afraid to write your real feelings on your post-interview reflection. Don't fret about the length - I've heard varied responses on how much people wrote. My response was about a page and a half. I wrote mine like a letter, addressing things I enjoyed about the interview, honed in on the most interesting part of the interview, and added one topic I wish we had covered. Let your personality show. Use your natural voice and try not to be too stiff. And, from a few admits I've met, it's okay to voice some disappointment or things you wish had gone differently. I don't think there are any "catches" in the process.

11) The interview process is the most personal, private part. I was more private with my application process than some - I didn't solicit any outside opinions during the written app. But thinking about interviewing, I really focused on looking inward on myself, where I've come, and where I'm going. I'm sure there are many paths to success, but I think in my case the interview and post-reflection process were done in isolation without outside influence.

If anyone has any other thoughts or questions, would be happy to be a resource. And congrats again! :)

Originally posted by snowedinboston on 30 Jan 2013, 11:05.
Last edited by snowedinboston on 30 Jan 2013, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [8]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Kudos
downtoearth wrote:
FrozenTongue wrote:
Guys, when signing up for the interview, there was a link/tickbox to the side which said "HBS interview policy"... did it work for anyone? Is it a bad idea to communicate kindly to Ad Com that the link doesnt work?? (or will it be frowned upon as arrogance?)

comments like these from people interviewed/admitted to HBS make me wonder what kind of "leaders" HBS interviews/admits ... i was under the impression that leaders were people who trust themselves enough to start guerilla warfare, new markets and **** (gandhi, che, branson, mandela, bill gates, castro) ... not people who can't even decide ... on their own ... if they should e-mail some admission officer sitting in Cambridge ...

downtoearth wrote:
Hi all, I submitted my HBS application 3 minutes late, will I still be considered for the 2nd round?

Enough said.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [7]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
@HBSguru.... love your direct style, your track record and approach...

but sometimes reading your posts, and blogs, and edits... I sometimes wonder how you ever passed 5th grade....

(hoping not to start a flammatory thread... but I dont know what others think)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [7]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Accepted! Praise Allah
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [7]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Kudos
xx257 wrote:
by the way congratulations to everyone who was admitted in R1. Good job all! It's nice to see that you guys are still on the forum even after you are admitted.

This forum was our life and blood while we were going through the process, and the support we got here kept us alive! I think it is hard to let go of the e-relationships and the sentiments, and it is nice to help out people in our shoes the best we can :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [7]
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE:Business Development (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
I just want to tell everyone who was saying how with a low GMAT you have no shot... 650 GMAT and just got the invite.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [7]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Mario your princess is in another castle...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [6]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
I was trying to describe how painful the wait is to some friends that are not applying to B-Schools. I ended up telling them that it's like training for the Olympics. You've just competed in the gold medal round and now, you have to wait 1 month to see the judges scores.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Interviewed Yesterday on campus.

I'm pleased overall, I think it went well. I came up before the crazy blizzard because I didn't want to have to postpone. Selected the first interview slot for R2's and I'm glad because now it's over! I stayed with a friend in Soldier Field Park apartments. So even though the conference I planned to attend was cancelled due to the weather I still got a very real experience being couped up on campus the whole weekend. There were so many house parties that I was able to interact with students on a normal level and just get to know who they were as individuals. Geesh, everyone is so intelligent and doing amazing things already. Really great environment to be in. Once they found out I had an interview, everyone was so encouraging! Didn't get any of the stuffy vibe people stereotype ivy schools to have.

I explored a little once I could, and I'm glad to have had the full weekend prior to my interview since I had never visited before. I enjoyed that each interview is focused and tailored specifically for you, no one else. They asked me very particular questions about why my current job, current company, undergraduate school, what am I learning from it in terms of effective leadership, and what I was bringing to the table that others hadn't before. Definitely have a point of view on where your current and future employers are going and a reflection on past strategies that may not have worked out so well. I needed at least 30 seconds to answer a Q on: "Tell me something about the industry you are pursuing that I wouldn't know." Great one!

I kept a running tab of things to talk about in my post reflection all weekend so that made it easier to incorporate by the time I had to actually write it. I figured that going past a page wouln't be a good look given the two required essays were very short to begin with. Anyway, wanted to share. Don't let anyone tell you you can't prepare for your interviews. You definitely have to be yourself, but you still need stories in your toolbox that you can pull out at the right time!

Good luck to everyone else in R2 or waitlisted!

Originally posted by RDeezy on 12 Feb 2013, 11:50.
Last edited by RDeezy on 12 Feb 2013, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in. Can't wait to join HBS. Unreal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Let's see if I can accurately represent how my stomach feels right now: jkasdnakjcsahfabsdljxndlcahnDSSLKJSXHDNqjchbalkxnsjDALHNALCJCRLAkdbalndks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Class of 2015!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
I've had a few requests for interview prep advice, so I thought I'd share here for everyone.

1. I used two sources for prep:
Clear Admit free wiki: https://blog.clearadmit.com/category/interview-reports/school/harvard/
HARBUS un-official guide: https://www.hbsinterview.com/

2. I basically looked over my application about 100 times before the interview looking for gaps or career choices so I could concisely explain my decisions. Remember - your interviewer will have your application in front of him/her and may reference something specific. This happened to me: She asked me what I meant when I described my current role. I laughed a bit and told her it's hard to explain what I do in 200 characters and then answered in more detail. I think she chuckled.

3. RELAX!! I usually do not get nervous, but I could tell in my first answer or two that I was a mess. I just kept thinking that I knew myself better than they did and the purpose of the interview is show them who you are - nothing more, nothing less. That seemed to help me calm down, but think about what works for you. You will most likely need to use it!

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
let's prove that HBS made some mistakes today in the future!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [5]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in as well! First admit... I am so relieved.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [5]
Given Kudos: 31
GRE 1: Q800 V770
Send PM
Kudos
bigwindy wrote:
I'm in. Can't wait to join HBS. Unreal.

Congratulations!

The rest of GmatClub can join in celebration, as HBS admits will now release their seats in other schools :bouncer
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [4]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
When I was a 15 year old. The only foreign college I had heard of was the Harvard Business School.

When I was 18 year old. The only college I had dreamt of was Harvard Business School.

When I was 22 year old, the only college I wished to see myself at once before I died, it was Harvard Business School.

When I was 25 year old, I didn't took the exam for Indian B-Schools because all I could think of was the Harvard Business School.

When, today, I'm 27 year old and I'm going to apply to Harvard Business School, merely opening hbs.edu sends a chill down my spine. I can't fathom why.

HBS...an unfulfilled dream that will accompany me to my grave?

Count me in for R1.

Originally posted by finmaster on 15 Jun 2012, 14:38.
Last edited by finmaster on 04 Jul 2012, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts