Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [3]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Has anyone scored higher on their real GMATs [#permalink]
Kudos
A few people on this board scored 20-30 points higher than during practice but also quite a few who scored much lower. Lots of factors during test day can make things go either way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [10]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.39
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The highest I've ever scored on practice test was a 750 and those were Manhattan GMAT's, which usually have slightly inflated scores. The highest I received on a GMAT Prep two days before my test was a 710. I ended up with a 770 on my official test, so have faith!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Thank you all for your responses. I will try to keep that in mind when I am practicing on my CATs. Sometimes I can get discouraged by not seeing the scores that I am aiming to get, but it is refreshing to know that it is very possible to score much higher on the real GMAT than on practice GMATs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Got a different range on the MGMAT practice tests, from 650, 680, and 700. GMAT prep 1 got 690, GMAT prep 2 got 650. Got 670 on the real thing. I think the GMAT prep tests are the most realistic tests to take with both the real screens as well as the most realistic questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Well I never scored higher on a practice CAT (Kaplan) than a 690 and scored a 710 on test day. That 690 was the last CAT before the big day though. I have not heard of anyone blowing their practice tests out of the water, and killing it on test day. I'd say the largest jump I have ever seen on this board was about 30 points from their highest practice test.

The only exception would be if you are taking old Kaplan CAT tests from circa 2010. These practice tests drastically underestimated your true potential. I heard of people scoring approx 50-100 points higher in most cases with these tests. Kaplan has fixed their algo and they are quite accurate now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
GMATLA wrote:
Well I never scored higher on a practice CAT (Kaplan) than a 690 and scored a 710 on test day. That 690 was the last CAT before the big day though. I have not heard of anyone blowing their practice tests out of the water, and killing it on test day. I'd say the largest jump I have ever seen on this board was about 30 points from their highest practice test.

The only exception would be if you are taking old Kaplan CAT tests from circa 2010. These practice tests drastically underestimated your true potential. I heard of people scoring approx 50-100 points higher in most cases with these tests. Kaplan has fixed their algo and they are quite accurate now.

Here I would tend to differ a little with you on this (please see my gmat debrief for more)..I had a max. of 640 on the Gmat prep tests few days back the real test, whereas on the test day I got a 680. More so this variation is high in sub 700 range than high 700's-just gave my Gmat yesterday & got 730 (my mocks on prep test were 720,740 first take & 750,770 retake...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
I'm probably one of the unlucky guys then. I think the Manhattan tests overestimated my scores by at least 40 points or so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
My experience was that the Manhattan CATS were a pretty accurate indicator, and I thought the Manhattan Math was substantially more difficult than anything I saw on the actual test.

The "norm" I have heard of is a substantial drop on test day due to nerves, no sleep the night before, etc. (I scored a 700 and 710 on Manhattan CATS and a 700 on GMAC prior to my 1st attempt and ended up with a dismal 650). I took 2 more practice tests over the next month (720 MGMAT #6 and 720 GMAC Practice, both with a pretty decent Q and V split) then ended up scoring a 710 on my 2nd attempt (Q48 V40)

All in all, I found both the MGMAT and GMAC Practice to be very accurate indicators, and the deviation I saw was due to nerves. My advice is to get a good night sleep (maybe schedule the test in the afternoon). Eat some good food and KEEP A COOL CONFIDENT ATTITUDE ON TEST DAY!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
novanative wrote:
I'm probably one of the unlucky guys then. I think the Manhattan tests overestimated my scores by at least 40 points or so.

As mentioned by the above poster, there are other factors involved while doing the real test and persoonally I feel the biggest single contributor is one's temperament. Remamber not loose your confidence, and calm till the test ends! again don't fall pray to victimise yourself, just relax & prepare for a btter tomorrow, this is all I can say!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM