Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72880 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Send PM
Re: Have a question about GMAT? Ask Kaplan [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi chetanb,

I'm happy to help! However, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the 'first two tests are linear'; where did you hear this, and which tests specifically are you talking about?

We do offer a linear test--our free online practice test, whose purpose is to help students learn how the GMAT works and get exposed to its content rather than provide a perfect representation of their score. Aside from that, the rest of our tests--the 9 associated with our GMAT Advantage class and the 4 that come with the Kaplan Premier book--are adaptive. That means unless you are using a second-hand book with older material, your tests should have adapted to your level and given you an accurate score.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions!

Eli
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2218 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS
OVERALL PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS
Overall Correct: 82%
82%

% correct
Number correct 64
Number incorrect 14
Number omitted 0
Number not reached 0
Scaled Scores:
Scaled Score
Overall : 660
Overall Percentage Below : 86
Quantitative : 42
Quantitative Percentage Below : 88
Verbal : 42
Verbal Percentage Below : 95
Answer Changes:

Hi Eli,

I just finished the Kaplan free online test. Have copied and pasted the analysis above. What I find strange is that my overall percentage below is actually lesser than that of either of the two sections. Just wanted to understand how is that possible.

Also, would re-ask a question that has been asked for ages now- Why do Kaplan tests give scores that are around 70- 100 points lesser than GMATprep or many a times, the actual GMAT! It'll be great if you can lay to rest this question once and for all!! Thanks..
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmatpapa,

The free diagnostic test that you took was not a CAT. The scores are generally accurate, but the free test is designed more to familiarize students with what they do and don't know in terms of GMAT content than to provide a precise score.

As for the odd percentiles, it IS mathematically possible. For instance, if A, B, C, and D respectively scored 1, 2, 3, and 5 on the math and 5, 3, 2, and 1 on the verbal, then B would be 2nd in math, 3rd in verbal, but tied for last in overall points. Of course, that scenario seems fairly unlikely; please PM me your name and email, and we'll investigate your specific case.

Finally, I wish I could answer your last question, but I'm not clear it's the case. I just posted in another thread asking why our tests were too EASY! Practice tests are inevitably unreliable; beyond the fact that no one in the entire test prep business can spend the time and money on each question that the GMAT does, the psychological pressures and motivations that a test-taker faces are completely different on the real thing. What we do know, however, is that our own surveys show our practice tests are an accurate predictor of test-day performance, even if students do occasionally report scores that they feel aren't representative of their normal capabilities.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have never taken a KAP test myself, but have heard much about them. Out of my curiosity, I just wish to clear some doubts.

1. First of all, -the KAP adaptive tests that are part of the tutorials- are they really adaptive tests in the true sense of the term? In other words do, they really change according to the performance of the candidates? If for example, two people took a particular test, say test no 5 from two different locations, will they get entirely different sets of questions?

2. Whether the questions will be different through the entire course of the test, or they will differ only unto certain number of questions between two different candidates, say unto 15 questions and then remain the same through the end for both the takers.
3. If one takes a particular test for the second time, will there be different questions each time?

I need to know this information because many students ask these questions and I thought that I needed to know the facts first before I could answer them.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Daagh,

Thanks for asking about our materials! I'm happy to help you get, and share, the answers.

Our tests have undergone a few different revisions, so this answer doesn't apply to all Kaplan materials out there. However, our most recent scoring algorithm for GMAT Advantage classroom students is mostly adaptive. Unlike the GMAT, it doesn't adjust difficulty question by question; rather, every chunk of 6-7 questions generates a result that determines the difficulty of the next set. This means that two students are likely to see the same problems at the beginning of each section on the same tests, but that the questions they see will subsequently diverge. It's not a perfect simulation of the GMAT's behind-the-screen mechanics, but that shouldn't matter; our tests do produce accurate results.

Let me know if there is anything else I can clear up. Hope this helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks Eli, Now I understand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey,
I got my CAT2 Results
Overall:710
Overall Percentage Below:92%
Quant Percentage Below:92%
Verbal Percentage Below:74%

Can you please throw some light on how these percentages correspond to the points which we get on a real GMAT(0-60)?
Also is the overall a good enough representative of a possible GMAT score?
GMAT Club Bot