Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [66]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [37]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618868 [3]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [4]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Re: Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi guys,

Good question GMAT TIGER!

IMO C

A. Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes numbers should be in singular
B. Having had more than the usual number of fingers or toes Having had?
C. Having more than the usual number of fingers or toes Hold
D. To have more than the usual number of fingers or toes for me, the infinitive here is not needed
E. To have more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes numbers should be in singular

OA?

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the hands or feet is termed polydactyly.

a) Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes --> you would never use "the numbers of..."
b) Having had more than the usual number of fingers or toes
c) Having more than the usual number of fingers or toes --> my pick
d) To have more than the usual number of fingers or toes --> awkward to start with an infinitive. you should always postpone infinivites and use the "placeholder it" such that the sentence reads: "It is termed polydactyly to have more than the usual number of fingers..."
e) To have more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
+1 for C.

Termed as can be replaced by : in the current context.

Polydactyly : having more than the usual number of fingers or toes on the hands or feet.
VS
Polydactyly : to have more than the usual number of fingers or toes on the hands or feet.

C is better as Polydactly is a noun and "having...." is the adjective that modifies it.

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the [#permalink]
Can you explain why option D is incorrect & C is correct. Regards, Fame
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the hands or feet is termed polydactyly.

(a) Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes
(b) Having had more than the usual number of fingers or toes - "having had" means one had it in past but does not have it anymore
(c) Having more than the usual number of fingers or toes - correct
(d) To have more than the usual number of fingers or toes - Incorrect meaning - "to have "suggests as if we have a choice
(e) To have more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes

C is correct.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
kingb wrote:
(A) Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes
(B) Having had more than the usual number of fingers or toes
(C) Having more than the usual number of fingers or toes
(D) To have more than the usual number of fingers or toes
(E) To have more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes

fameatop wrote:

I'm happy to help with this. :-) I am answering a pm from Fame.

This is an MGMAT question. Normally, I hold MGMAT in the highest regard, but I will say --- sometimes a few of their questions get into some reasonably obscure territory is that is bit more picayune than the GMAT SC would touch. I believe this is such a question.

First of all, the word "number" is correct, not "numbers." Therefore, (A) & (E) are out. Furthermore, (B) is simply ridiculous, so that's out.
The real question is (C) vs. (D), gerund vs. infinitive as the subject. For more on gerunds, see this:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/
For more on infinitives, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/infinitive ... -the-gmat/

Notice, first of all, there is NO PARALLELISM in this sentence. We have the verb "is termed" and then we have the noun, the term, "polydactyly." Both gerunds and infinitive can act as nouns. In particular, both gerunds and infinitive can be subjects of sentences.
To err is human. --- Seneca the Younger (4 BC-65 AD) --- infinitive subject
Reading classical Latin literature can be edifying. --- gerund subject

What is the difference between having a gerund as a subject vs. having an infinitive as a subject? There's no clear and well-defined rule. There's nothing cut-and-dry. In certain instances, one will sound more natural than the other, but that's far from rigorous. In this particular sentence, I will say --- for reasons I can't articulate, (C) does some more natural, but I believe there is absolutely nothing wrong with (D). In my mind, the difference between (C) & (D) is too slight for this to be the defining split on a SC question. As much as I respect MGMAT in general, I think I will say --- this is not a particularly GMAT-like SC question, because it lacks a clear & unambiguous split between (C) & (D).

Here's a link where Ron Purewal himself says the MGMAT folks were debating this question.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/ger ... t3133.html
The fact that the bright people who wrote this question original have to debate about it means that it lacks the ringing clarity that characterizes a good GMAT-like SC question.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
I will go with C

Reason: Gerunds rather than infinitives are preferred as subjects when the main clause denotes something that actually exists/occurs, and infinitives where something unreal or hypothetical is discussed. Since this medical conditonal actually occurs, the gerund is preferable here.

Experts please confirm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.7
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
kingb wrote:
(A) Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes
(B) Having had more than the usual number of fingers or toes
(C) Having more than the usual number of fingers or toes
(D) To have more than the usual number of fingers or toes
(E) To have more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes

fameatop wrote:

I'm happy to help with this. :-) I am answering a pm from Fame.

This is an MGMAT question. Normally, I hold MGMAT in the highest regard, but I will say --- sometimes a few of their questions get into some reasonably obscure territory is that is bit more picayune than the GMAT SC would touch. I believe this is such a question.

First of all, the word "number" is correct, not "numbers." Therefore, (A) & (E) are out. Furthermore, (B) is simply ridiculous, so that's out.
The real question is (C) vs. (D), gerund vs. infinitive as the subject. For more on gerunds, see this:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/
For more on infinitives, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/infinitive ... -the-gmat/

Notice, first of all, there is NO PARALLELISM in this sentence. We have the verb "is termed" and then we have the noun, the term, "polydactyly." Both gerunds and infinitive can act as nouns. In particular, both gerunds and infinitive can be subjects of sentences.
To err is human. --- Seneca the Younger (4 BC-65 AD) --- infinitive subject
Reading classical Latin literature can be edifying. --- gerund subject

What is the difference between having a gerund as a subject vs. having an infinitive as a subject? There's no clear and well-defined rule. There's nothing cut-and-dry. In certain instances, one will sound more natural than the other, but that's far from rigorous. In this particular sentence, I will say --- for reasons I can't articulate, (C) does some more natural, but I believe there is absolutely nothing wrong with (D). In my mind, the difference between (C) & (D) is too slight for this to be the defining split on a SC question. As much as I respect MGMAT in general, I think I will say --- this is not a particularly GMAT-like SC question, because it lacks a clear & unambiguous split between (C) & (D).

Here's a link where Ron Purewal himself says the MGMAT folks were debating this question.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/ger ... t3133.html
The fact that the bright people who wrote this question original have to debate about it means that it lacks the ringing clarity that characterizes a good GMAT-like SC question.

Does all this make sense?

Hi Mike,

Brilliant explanation!
But I have a doubt from the meaning perspective of the sentence. "Having" may imply "eating". Then Having fingers or toes is awkward. So I thought "To have" is more precise.
Could you please throw some light. Sorry if this is naive. :D
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
fantasycracker wrote:
Hi Mike,

Brilliant explanation!
But I have a doubt from the meaning perspective of the sentence. "Having" may imply "eating". Then Having fingers or toes is awkward. So I thought "To have" is more precise.
Could you please throw some light. Sorry if this is naive. :D

Dear fantasycracker,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Using the verb "to have" ("has", "had", "having", etc.) as a synonym for "to eat" is an idiomatic colloquialism that never never never will appear anywhere on the GMAT. That will never be the primary implication of the word.

Does this make sense?

daagh wrote:
"Having’, a gerund means a state of possessing; it indicates that the condition is already existing. On the contrary ‘to have’, an infinitive means to have a purpose to possess. In this context, ‘to have’ does not make sense since, it is rare for someone who wants to possess more than the usual number of fingers or toes. That makes D inferior to C.

HI, How to choose between Number and Numbers
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
SALAKSHYA wrote:
daagh wrote:
"Having’, a gerund means a state of possessing; it indicates that the condition is already existing. On the contrary ‘to have’, an infinitive means to have a purpose to possess. In this context, ‘to have’ does not make sense since, it is rare for someone who wants to possess more than the usual number of fingers or toes. That makes D inferior to C.

HI, How to choose between Number and Numbers

SALAKSHYA, If you're just going to be quoting 1 number then it will be number. I have a number of cars and houses. How many? About 20 cars and 10 houses (quoting 1 number for each).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts