GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 11:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:02) correct 23% (01:23) wrong based on 83 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing will likely be remembered best for her early novels about Africa.

A. Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing will likely

B. Although she has recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing is likely to

C. She has recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, and Doris Lessing will likely

D. In spite of recently publishing a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing should likely

E. Recently publishing a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing may likely

B
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.5
Re: Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 07:42
Could any of the experts comment on that?

I don't know why B should be the OA. I thought that a personal pronoun needs something to reference to, which should be mentioned before the first mentioning of the word the personal pronoun refers to.
G
Re: Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 08:07
gota900 wrote:

I don't know why B should be the OA. I thought that a personal pronoun needs something to reference to, which should be mentioned before the first mentioning of the word the personal pronoun refers to.

Hey gota900,

No expert here but I think there are no hard and fast rules for such usage. A pronoun can be used in the beginning of the sentence as long as the pronoun correctly refers to a subject that comes in later part of the sentence.

Another reason to choose B is the sentence introduces a contrast which makes the meaning/intention clearer.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
Schools: Johnson '21

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 08:12
Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing will likely be remembered best for her early novels about Africa.

A. Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing will likely - Incorrect

B. Although she has recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing is likely to

C. She has recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, and Doris Lessing will likely

D. In spite of recently publishing a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing should likely - Changes meaning

E. Recently publishing a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing may likely - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 08:15
gota900 wrote:

hi

please refer to the intended meaning of the sentence.. From the read it seems to state that dorris lessing will be remembered for her early books than for her recent books infuenced by sufism.

A. Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing will likely--Incorrect, Having seems to suggest that doris lessing worte books on sufism first and then wrote books for which she will be rembered. WRONG MEANING

B. Although she has recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing is likely to---COrrect, meaning ,modifier and dependent clause is correctly placed. Remember pronoun can be placed anywhere in the sentence if it makes sense. just go by correct subject and pronoun sense

C. She has recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, and Doris Lessing will likely--Incorrect, changes the intended contrast

D. In spite of recently publishing a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing should likely---Incorrect usgae of should

E. Recently publishing a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing may likely---Incorrect, May and likely are redundant

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 02:31
Bunuel wrote:

A. Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing will likely

D. In spite of recently publishing a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing should likely

E. Recently publishing a series of science fiction books influenced by Sufism, Doris Lessing may likely

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

B

(B), using Although, makes clear the contrast between Lessing's recent work and her betterknown early work. (A), (C), and (E) don't make that contrast clear. Also, is likely to be is more idiomatic than will likely be in (A) and (C), should likely be in (D), or may likely be in (E). (B) is correct.
Re: Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2019, 02:31

Having recently published a series of science fiction books influenced

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics