Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1711
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 456
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet duri [#permalink]
egmat

In option E, isn't construction wrong?

His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

Now doesn't it contain two IC?

1st IC- His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
2nd IC- Horace Pippin worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

So shouldn't they be connected with a semicolon or a ", + FANBOY"?

Or are they both not IC? If not can you help me understand, that why they are not IC?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
Re: Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers bullet duri [#permalink]
GMATNinja egmat

I understand the problem of C, but could you elaborate the absolute phrase in E?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers bullet duri [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bojunk

An absolute phrase is a modifier consisting of a noun and its own modifier. So "His arm crippled" just adds clarifying detail to the following clause. Why did Pippin use his brush in this way? Because his arm was crippled by a bullet.

It's important to note that this phrase is NOT a clause. "His arm" is not the subject of the sentence; it's just part of a modifier.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Incidentally, our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Absolute modifiers, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Incidentally, our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Absolute modifiers, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Can I have that detail? I have never heard about Absolute Modifiers before.

I used to read sentences similar to this : Horace Pippin, his right hand and arm crippled by a bullet, worked by ...... .
But can his right hand.... come before "Horace Pippin" ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 177
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
@GMATNinja can you please share an example or two explaining the "BEING" rule further? It has been mentioned multiple times across the thread but still not able to wrap my head around it.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

Option Elimination -

(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War - "being" used as a modifier is wrong as it wrongly conveys that the right hand and arm are being crippled as we speak. This happened long ago, during the First World War, not now. Avoid the use of "being" as a modifier. Generally wrong on GMAT (except when used as a noun/noun phrase such as Being punctual is an essential trait in the business world/The philosophy course explores the nature of being (here the nature of being refers to the philosophical inquiry into existence and reality) or passive continuous verb such as - The car is being repaired by the mechanics).

(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War - I know this sounds pretty interesting as it presents the contrast, but we have the same issue of being.

(C) Because there had been a sniper’s bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm - "Because" introduces a subordinate adverbial clause that modifies the subject and a verb in the following clause, i.e., Horace Pippin worked...It gives a weird meaning: "Because there had been a bullet...., Horace Pippin worked. Not good.

(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War - the same issue of being.

(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War - At first, this sounds very weird, but if we look closely, it's just a modifier that is modifying Horace Pippin. So here we have two modifiers for "Horace Pippin." One after and one before. This is usually done to avoid confusion because if put both modifiers after "Horace Pippin," it'll look bizarre: Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, his right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War...Another issue with noun modifiers is that we must put them as close to the noun they modify, unlike the adverbials. So, the best solution here is to add one noun modifier before and put another one after the noun.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts