Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Re: Head-to-Head Analysis: Veritas Prep versus Manhattan GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
As someone who teaches and tutors for Veritas, I feel the author definitely sold our curriculum and methods short. There are some logical errors as well. I could give a refutation if anyone would be interested in reading it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I would be very interested in a reply to this topic.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
i took mgmat and highly recommend it. if you plan on taking a gmat prep class, this is the one to take. i have no experience with veritas so can't say anything about it's quality. however, i would say not to take a generic exam prep course such as kaplan or princeton. the instructors at mgmat have to score in the 98th percentile on the gmat to be qualified instructors and they're paid $100/hour versus the ~$40/hour that kaplan/princeton instructors are paid.

so here's my review...

reasons i took the class: needed discipline, a plan of attack to study, and to improve my DS and RC. in class, we reviewed questions that were either from OG or were designed by mgmat to closely mimic the OG.

if you've got the discipline to study on your own, then purchasing the books and forming a study group (this helps a lot) will be enough. if it helps for you to hear someone explain things to you, for you to have to structure, and if you need to learn some actual strategies and concepts, then the class is totally worth it.

one thing that was extremely valuable is an excel spreadsheet mgmat put together that categorizes every question in the OG. it allows you to track your answers, the amount of time it took you to answer it, and whether you got it right/wrong. this generates a report so you can see what types of questions you're consistently missing, how long you're spending on missed questions, the number of questions you get right/wrong based on difficulty level (all the questions are tagged as a 500/600/700 level question), etc. this report was key to helping me identify my particular weaknesses so i could go back and target just those question types. e.g., let's say i always miss rate problems. in the spreadsheet, i can filter just for rate problems and find all the rate questions in the OG.

in terms of the online vs in-class session, i'd probably do it online to save on the extra $$ since i think it's actually more interactive online than in-class. online, there are 2 people supporting the class, so while one person is teaching, the other person can answer any questions that a student is asking in the chat window. obviously, this doesn't happen in class since there's only 1 teacher and people tend to be less comfortable asking dumb questions in class.

i'm happy to answer any other questions about mgmat. i highly recommend it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Veritas classroom courses vs MGMAT courses [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi guys,

I need some advise in joining one of the above classroom courses. Looking at the veritas website on classroom courses, they offer 42 hrs of classroom + 15 CAT exams in comparison with MGMAT which offers 27 classroom courses + 6 CAT exams. Just seeing the above numbers, I feel veritas coaching is good for the money as both courses are pretty close in cost.
Also, I already have all the 2007 MGMAT books. Which classroom course should I go ?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Hi snowbirdskier. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have about either program. Let me know which sections you feel are biased and I can definitely elaborate on them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
Send PM
Well I don't know if any specific part is biased, it just seems like Veritas would have an edge somewhere. It is opinion though and so far your post is the best I have found so I appreciate you posting it. I'd be interested to get a few more side-by-side comparisons similar yours from others who might have experience from both.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Send PM
Good review! Thanks for the information.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
This is such a load of biased crap. The reason they took it down is because you are obviously a plant for Manhattan GMAT.

I hope no one reads your "blog post" and takes it as fact.

tmmyc wrote:
Dear forum moderators,

I created this thread yesterday showcasing an in-depth analysis I did comparing the Veritas Prep and Manhattan GMAT prep courses. The analysis is a bit long so I put it in a blog and provided the link

I saw today that my thread was no longer present, so I assumed it was probably deleted. Was it deleted because of a policy I may have unknowingly violated? I do believe that many would get a lot of value from this analysis and I would love to have this new thread to house my analysis. Please let me know if this is satisfactory.

tmmyc
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Both Veritas prep and Manhattan GMAT plant shillers on these forums and hype their inferior courses for the GMAT. The companies lie about their offerings, Veritas prep more so than Manhattan GMAT.

(1) Veritas prep is not licensed by GMAC any longer to use its retired GMAT questions but Veritas prep still claims that its lesson booklets are based on officially retired GMAT questions.

(2) Veritas claims it updates its materials 4 times each year; that is a fraudulent claim. Its lesson booklets and tests have remained stale as last years' bread.

(3) Veritas Prep buys its tests from other companies and act as a 'consolidator' rather than create its own proprietary materials.

(4) Veritas Prep and Manhattan GMAT both LIE about the instructor qualifications. Both companies constantly advertise on Craig's list for instructors and cannot verifiably show that its instrcutors have all scored in the 99th percentile overall (currently a score of 760). How is it that most of the 99th percentile wizards are waiting tables at restaurants or doing gigs in broadway and have not been to business schools?

(5) Manhattan GMAT offers such a worthless whatever it is unwilling to offer any sort of guarantee. The company knows that its training is useless. Anyone who thinks that Official Guide for GMAT containing old, retired problems is sufficient to get a score in the 95th percentile need to be certified insane and unfit to go to grad school.

(6) Veritas hires its instructors on the basis of phone interviews and sends them out to show up in front of a group. It wants you to evaluate the trainer and tell the company how good the bloke is. Really? You paid all that much money to decide whether your trainer was bad or terrible?

If you want to get suckered, choose Manhattan GMAT or Veritas Prep. If you are smart, AVOID MANHATTAN GMAT AND VERITAS PREP like you know what.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Send PM
I have a friend who got a 730 who studied solely from veritas prep. But he is a good standardized test taker
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bullbuster why do you have such a bone to pick with these companies? I bet you work for MLIC or some other half-cocked company.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
pickleodeon wrote:
Bullbuster why do you have such a bone to pick with these companies? I bet you work for MLIC or some other half-cocked company.

Very likely for a person with just one post.
The review does seem to come in contradiction with what many said here: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html

[verits][/verits]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am a huge advocate for Veritas prep. My instructor was excellent and extremely GMAT savvy. I would say that if you are looking to break the 700 line - Veritas is definitely the course. I couldn't have been more pleased with the resources, instruction and aid that this company provides. I did the online course and I don't know how it could have been any better.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
johnwlacey10 wrote:
I am a huge advocate for Veritas prep. My instructor was excellent and extremely GMAT savvy. I would say that if you are looking to break the 700 line - Veritas is definitely the course. I couldn't have been more pleased with the resources, instruction and aid that this company provides. I did the online course and I don't know how it could have been any better.

Hey John - would love to have your experience documented and added to our list here: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
There seems to be quite a bit of suspicion regarding positive comments on this site, so let me preface my post by saying I don’t work for either of these testing companies. I’m just a guy who had ok grades in college and realized he’d need to completely destroy the GMAT to have any prayer of getting into a decent MBA program. I chose to do the Veritas Prep online course and admittedly really don’t know much about Manhattan GMAT, so I can’t compare the two curriculums. I can, however, say that I was extremely pleased with my GMAT score after completing the Veritas Prep course.

Before starting any of the online lessons, I completed one of the practice exams offered in the online course and scored a 610. I realize that you could argue the validity of using this score as a baseline considering that it isn’t “an official GMAT score,” but it’s, quite frankly, the only score I have to go off, as I’d never taken the GMAT before. After completing the Veritas course, I sat for the GMAT last week and scored a 730. Any way you slice it, baseline score or no baseline score, that is a pretty good place to be when testing day has come and gone.

I personally loved the Veritas program. The online course gives you a ton of flexibility and more tests and practice problems than you would ever really want to do. It puts all the resources that you need to get a great score on the exam at your fingertips, and helps to ensure that the time you’re investing in studying for the GMAT is being used efficiently. I think the highest compliment you can really pay to a preparatory course is that it ultimately gives you control over how well you will do on an exam, such that the more you dedicate yourself to their curriculum, the higher you’ll score on the exam. I honestly believe that the Veritas course meets this criterion, and that you can rest assured that there won’t be any surprises come exam day.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
pickleodeon wrote:

Very likely for a person with just one post.
The review does seem to come in contradiction with what many said here: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html

or here: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Very interesting. How much added value do you feel these courses provide over simply purchasing the materials yourself and self studying?
GMAT Club Bot