GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2019, 02:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
G
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 11:38
darshak1 wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Is "pay" correct here? I eliminated B & D considering that , "refiners are paying" is superior to "refiners pay". Refiners pay sounds as if refiners are always paying 5 dollars more.(Kinda Universal truth).

Is my reasoning correct?
GMATNinja egmat mikemcgarry

Hello darshak1!

Thanks for your question! As you can see from my explanation above, I didn't cover the "are paying/pay" debate at all. Why? Because both are correct to use here and mean the same thing. There are other differences between each option that actually are grammatically incorrect, and if you follow those differences, you'll get to the correct answer quickly.

Sometimes, the GMAT likes to throw in things like this to trip you up. Typically, if you see a comparison question, start by focusing your attention there instead of which present tense verb to use. It's more common in a comparison question to see problems with the comparison and less so with other minor things.

I hope this helps!

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 12:30
rashwiniyer wrote:
Can someone explain how and when do we know about ellipses ? I am still not clear why A is correct. We have to assume lot of things for A to be correct.
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than (heating-oil prices were) last (year) Parentheses are omitted. --- Why do we assume this? and more than that how do we know about this?

For more on ellipses, check out the discussion in this thread.

Also, repeating what I wrote in this post:

"I’m also OK with the comparison: “refiners are paying… more for crude oil than they were [paying] last year.” I don't think that it’s ideal, but it’s definitely not wrong, and the GMAT would argue that the word “paying” is implied after “were.” Again, I’m not crazy about it, but it conveys the meaning clearly enough."

I hope this helps a bit!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 23:26
Top Contributor
Perhaps Ron also expressed the same concerns but reconciled to the fact,that in the absense of a better chocie which reflects the change of tense, or when all the chocies carry the same problem, it would be pragamatic to choose the best available choice. Perhaps the intnetion of the GMAT is to veryfy whether the test taker is dogmatic or pragmatic in the ordinry business of life, but not that GMAT is unawre of pure grammar. The choice is ours.
Director

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2010, 08:56

Can someone please explain why C is wrong. I thought the comparison is between this year's heating oil prices and last year's heating oil prices.

option C

Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's [heating-oil prices].....................correct comparison

option A

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last [dont we need last year's heating-oil prices?]

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard (R2-applied), MIT (R2-applied)
WE 1: Military
WE 2: Social Entrepreneur

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2010, 07:35
Quote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher th is year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

Hi everyone .......

Thanks a lot for such a detailed explanation!! :P

There is just one thing that is still bugging me:-
In option A ----- "Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were" last year,

shouldn't there be "paying" AGAIN after "were" to make it as:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were paying last year.

How can we hide "paying" ? Is this also ellipses ?? If so, kindly explain as i have NOT understood this well !!

Thanks so much
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard (R2-applied), MIT (R2-applied)
WE 1: Military
WE 2: Social Entrepreneur

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2010, 04:36
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Hi tgtharvard,

Yes, this is ellipses. Since "paying" already appears in the sentence, there is no need to repeat it after the word "were".

Best,
Sarai

Dear Sarai ....

Thanks for clarifying that ..... !!

And now that it is indeed an ellipses, please bear with me as i have another doubt that comes to light if option A is correct. Please help me with this one as well !!! ....... Sorry for the trouble!!!! :-

In the last part of this sentence:
Quote:

Who does THEY refer to ????

Isn't it a case of unclear antecedent reference as "they" could refer to both "Heating-Oil prices" as well as "Refiners" ???

I know that the use of "were" makes it refer to "prices" but if we had used "did" instead of "were" it could as easily have referred to "refiners". In any case, the use of "were" or "did" doesnt stop "they from being called "an ambigios referrent", does it ?!?!
I hope i have made my doubt clear and not confused you all further !! :)

And if that is NOT the case, then could u please explain as to where am I faulting in my logic !!!!

Thanks a ton ...

Sam
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2012, 10:50
Ellipsis is at its full play in this topic. Let me paraphrase it, with the elliptical elements in parenthesis.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year
than last (year) because refiners are paying about $5 a
barrel more for crude oil than they were (paying) last year.
One can now see how the comparisons are smugly fitting in.

2.) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise
higher this year than last year's because refiners
pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than
they did

A cue for the correctness of the comparison can be had from the placement of the comparison -marker such as than etc. The comparison marker is place placed either next or prior to what it compares. Here in this case, than is placed next to this year and therefore the comparison should legally appear with a similar feature such as last year and not last year’s.

Another example

Even though Béla Bartók’s music has proved less popular than Igor Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, it is no less important.
(A) Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, it
(B) Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, he
(C) Stravinsky’s is and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s is, it
(D) Stravinsky and not as influential as Arnold Schonberg, he
(E) Stravinsky and not as influential as Arnold Schonberg, it

Now the comparison- marker ‘than’ is placed just before the Arnold Schonberg’s, implying that something that belongs to Stravinsky is being compared. And the text says that Béla Bartók’s music is compared with Arnold Schonberg’s music. Here music is elliptical

Hope Chocie E is no serious contender
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT Date: 05-28-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE: Consulting (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 12:38
Can please someone explain, under what circumstances “they were” is right in this case?

Isn’t it referring to “refiners are paying”?
Therefore “refiners are paying 5$ more, than they did last year”, instead of “… than they were” last year?

Were payed sounds totally weird to me, even if agree with the rest of the official answer :(
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 16:42
Despite going through the whole thread, i'm stuck on one specific point about option E. I can see why E is wrong because of the usage of "more than" but I picked E because of "heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's..."

I felt that "year's" had to be a possessive because we are saying that " oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's oil prices" and we are NOT saying that "prices will higher than last year" because that would mean that we are comparing prices to year which is illogical.

Can someone please explain why my analysis is incorrect?
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 22:25
russ9 wrote:
Despite going through the whole thread, i'm stuck on one specific point about option E. I can see why E is wrong because of the usage of "more than" but I picked E because of "heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's..."

I felt that "year's" had to be a possessive because we are saying that " oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's oil prices" and we are NOT saying that "prices will higher than last year" because that would mean that we are comparing prices to year which is illogical.

For the most part, if last year's had to be correct, there should have been a similar structure on the left hand side of the comparison operator (than); something along the following lines:

...this year's heating-oil prices are expected to be higher than last year's...

Also, there is a significant meaning change that E introduces; original sentence is not talking about how much prices will rise this year (as E suggests); original sentence talks about how much the prices are expected to be this year.
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 04:21
The crux of the problem lies in the fact that we are comparing what refiners are paying this year with what they were paying last year. Here the 'paying' part is elided in the second arm. Please note the parallelism of progressive tense ‘are paying’ and ‘were paying’ in choices A and D.
Therefore, all choices that use the simple past tense ‘did’ are out. Between A and D, D has a problem of saying on one hand that it is an expectation and then a categorical 'will be higher'. Both are antithetical.
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 23:50
papillon86 wrote:

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

i have a doubt here...

If the original sentence were to read as below ,would that be correct?

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they did last year?
sayantanc2k
chetan2u
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 13:51
goforgmat wrote:
papillon86 wrote:

(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

i have a doubt here...

If the original sentence were to read as below ,would that be correct?

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they did last year?
sayantanc2k
chetan2u

Yes, simple past (did = paid) instead of past continuous (were paying) would also be alright. Note that in option A past continuous has been used ("were paying" - "paying" is omitted).
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 10:38
iMyself wrote:
papillon86 wrote:

>what is the difference between "this year than last" and "this year over last "
>In A, it is written that '' to be higher this year than last...... What? Should not it be last year in the blank?
>also, what is the problem in 'year's'?

N.B.: This thread is also seen in the another link, which makes us confused to make comments. So, can you please merge this two links so that we can make our comments without any hesitation? Thanks...

heating-oil-prices-80307.html

1. Since there is a comparative adjective ("higher"), "than" must be used.
2. It is alright to omit the repeated words from the second element of parallel items, if the meaning is not obscured.
3. "Prices are expected to be higher this year than last year's (prices)": Parallelism error - the correct statement is:
"Prices are expected to be higher this year than (prices) last (year)". The words in brackets are omitted as explained in point 2 above.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 12:45
shouldn't "last year's" in option C indicates last year oil prices...??
how can the oil prices of this year be compared with only last year???
I am a little bit confused... please explain
VP
VP
D

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 06:40
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 223: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

GMATNinja yay! :)

why option A omitted word "year" :? i would add word "year" in option A, that way it looks more complete ? :)

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

thank you and have an awesome weekend :)
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 11:06
dave13 wrote:
\
why option A omitted word "year" :? i would add word "year" in option A, that way it looks more complete ? :)

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

thank you and have an awesome weekend :)

Hello dave13,

Well, this omission is called ellipses, a concept that is used quite often in sentences testing comparison. Words already used in a sentence is kept understood in the second part of comparison to maintain conciseness and avoid repetition.

The word year is omitted because this omission does not lead to any ambiguity in comparison. The sentence still clearly conveys that the intended comparison is between the heating oil prices this year and heating-oil prices last year.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 12:43
Interesting observation, would like to hear from the experts...technically I find Prices comparison legitimate but the last portion " and therefore raised corn and soybean prices" to be problematic.
blitzkriegxX wrote:
I am confused with the use of "than". I will try to elaborate my confusion with official examples.

OG 19 - 758.

Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

(A) than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised

According to the OG explanantion this comparison in (A) is INCORRECT because it seems to be comparing the "prices" to "last year" which is illogical.
OG 19 - 772. (this question)

According to OG this comparison is CORRECT.

I fail to see the difference between the two and why one is correct and the other incorrect.
Please help me clarify this egmat GMATNinja sayantanc2k mikemcgarry
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 09:05
There's a typo in answer choice E.
(E) It is the expected --> (E) It is expected
There's no the in the actual answer choice in the OG 2019.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 07:05
I don't understand why are we not repeating the word prices again after last year. Is the comparison between years or prices or prices in years. If it is prices in different years then shouldn't price be repeated?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2019, 07:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics