Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Verb Tense/Formx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [0]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
Ellipsis is at its full play in this topic. Let me paraphrase it, with the elliptical elements in parenthesis.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year
than last (year) because refiners are paying about $5 a
barrel more for crude oil than they were (paying) last year.
One can now see how the comparisons are smugly fitting in.

2.) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise
higher this year than last year's because refiners
pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than
they did

A cue for the correctness of the comparison can be had from the placement of the comparison -marker such as than etc. The comparison marker is place placed either next or prior to what it compares. Here in this case, than is placed next to this year and therefore the comparison should legally appear with a similar feature such as last year and not last year’s.

daagh
one doubt i have :
heationg oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last
here last year and this year are being compared as than is closest to last and on lhs of than we have this year.
But what is the basis of comparison here ?
Is it
Prices this year vs prices last year.

See if i say
Michael loves Julie more than Sara.
it may mean
Michael loves julie more than Mochael loves(subject+verb repeated fro understanding) Sara
or it may mean
Mochael loves julie more than Sara loves Julie(verb+object )

So this is ambiguity
Now coming to orgnl sentence
i cannot say
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than[heating oil prices are expected] last year (repated sub+verb)--but this is tense issue ,it should be were but since were is no where else used in this senetnce so we cannot omit were so this cannot be desried compariosn
So my question is
Are we taking that only subject is repeated here.is that allowed?
heating oil prices this year than [heating oil prices--repeating only subject] last year.
but isnot it wrong to assume something after than when last year is given after than
so if last year is given than how we made compariosn of price this year vs price[how did this price came after than] last year
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]
Expert Reply
COMPARISONS, HELPING VERBS

Here's my explanation of this classic question. Actually, it is my all-time third favorite GMAT SC questions. I hope it helps

Best,

Rod
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
Aren't we comparing two different things in Opt. A? prices will be higher this year than last year? maybe I am being too mechanical, but this sounds like we're comparing prices this year with the (last) year, itself. while we need to compare prices of the two years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
ueh55406 wrote:
Aren't we comparing two different things in Opt. A? prices will be higher this year than last year? maybe I am being too mechanical, but this sounds like we're comparing prices this year with the (last) year, itself. while we need to compare prices of the two years.

Hi ueh55406, you ask an interesting question. I am assuming that you intend to suggest that the verb were needed to be explicitly mentioned after than (...than were last year)

In general, we indeed need to repeat the verb with the correct tense, if the tense is changing.

However, GMAT shows flexibility in this regard if the implied verb after the comparison indicator is a simple linking verb (especially is/was/were).

This is what's going on here:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than (were) last (year)

Since a simple linking verb (were) is being implied in the second part, it's fine to assume it, despite the tense change.

There are multiple other examples in OG:

Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an early signal that prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than usual through the end of the year.

Again, the actual sentence is:

...prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than (is) usual....

Since a simple linking verb (is) is being implied in the second part, it's fine to assume it, despite the tense change.

On the other hand, instead of a simple linking verb, if an action verb is involved and there is a tense change, then it becomes mandatory to explicitly mention the verb. So, following would be incorrect:

Peter works harder now than one year back.

Since an action verb (work) is involved, we need to explicitly mention the verb with the correct tense. So, the correct sentence would be:

Peter works harder now than he did one year back.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this comparison related concept of "linking verbs", its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Yes, Exactly. Although, it seems this is something which is not universal. I had this doubt because a day before attempting this question I did one of the OG's question which is along the lines of trade deficit (I can't remember the question exactly). but the heart the question was "trade deficit between x and y is less than P and q ( x,y,p,q are all countries). Now comes the same issue. we're comparing trade deficit of X and Y with the country P and Q themselves (which is incorrect, as per the solution). But the next day this question pops up and now suddenly, we're okay with comparing two diff. entities. truly, GMAT plays with your head in more than one way.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja AjiteshArun

Hi experts,

I have a quick question regarding option A vs C. Aside from the comparison issue, I have a doubt about the order of the prepositional phrases in the following section:

Within A: "...paying about $5 a barrel MORE for crude oil than they were..."
Within C: "...paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil MORE than they did..."

Is there any material difference with the placement of more?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
cici wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Source : OG2017 SC772

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 223: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/06/business/relief-for-winter-heating-oil-prices-fall.html

Heating oil prices, however, are expected to be higher than last year because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year. Still, crude prices have also retreated from their highs in recent weeks.

Attachment:
080.jpg

Attachment:
081.jpg

Attachment:
082.jpg

Shouldn't answer A have " Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than THEY WERE last YEAR because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were"
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
billionaire999 wrote:
Shouldn't answer A have " Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than THEY WERE last YEAR because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were"

Absolutely, that would have been correct as well, but then (by GMAT's standards) would have been too easy :).

So, the test-makers (the powers that be) decide to deploy bit of an ellipsis here, just to make the question slightly trickier.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
"Expected to be higher this year than last..."

Than last what? Last year? Last time we checked?

Ambiguous. Not at all my favourite SC question.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

The pronoun “they” always jumps off the page at me, and in this case, it seems to refer to “refiners”, the most recent plural. That’s fine.

I’m also OK with the comparison: “refiners are paying… more for crude oil than they were [paying] last year.” I don't think that it’s ideal, but it’s definitely not wrong, and the GMAT would argue that the word “paying” is implied after “were.” Again, I’m not crazy about it, but it conveys the meaning clearly enough.

So let’s keep (A), I guess.

Quote:
(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

The phrase “expected to rise higher this year over last” is definitely a mess. You would never say that prices “rise higher.” They either just rise, or they just ARE higher. I’m also not sure why we would use “over last” instead of “than last.”

The placement of “more” is also really confusing. “More” modifies “pay about $5 a barrel”, and there’s no good reason to stick the word “more” so far away from the phrase it logically modifies.

But for whatever it’s worth: “they” still seems to refer perfectly reasonably to “refiners.” And the word “did” replaces the verb “pay” (or “paid”, since “did” is past tense). So those things are OK.

But I don’t think we can get over the silly placement of “more” and the "rise higher" mess at the beginning of the sentence. So (B) is out.

Quote:
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(C) has a couple of problems right in the beginning of the sentence. First of all, I can’t understand why we would say “expectations are for… prices to be higher this year.” That’s a horribly indirect way to say that “prices are expected to be higher.” The prices are the focus of the sentence, and it’s best if the prices are the grammatical subject of the sentence.

The comparison is also pretty goofy. “… heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year’s…” The problem here is the possessive “last year’s.” We could say something like “this year’s prices are higher than last year’s”, or we could say that “prices are higher this year than last year.” But it makes no sense to say that “prices are higher this year than last year’s.”

So (C) is gone.

Quote:
(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

Like (C), (D) starts with an unnecessarily wordy expression: “it is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year…”. That’s not WRONG, exactly, but it’s definitely a crappier way to say “prices are expected to be higher this year…”

There’s also a problem with the phrase “higher this year over last.” You could say that prices were “higher this year than last”, but I can’t understand why we would use “over” in this context.

We also have an extra word that muddies the end of the underlined portion: “refiners are paying… more for crude oil now than what they were last year.” There’s absolutely no reason to include the word “what” in this sentence: “than they were last year” is enough by itself.

That’s enough to let us cross out (D).

Quote:
(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(E) combines a bunch of problems that we saw in the other answer choices. “It is the expected” doesn't make any sense at all, especially when (A) gives us a much nicer option (“prices are expected to be higher…”). Also, there’s no reason to make “last year’s” possessive – see the explanation for (C) for more on this issue.

Finally, it doesn’t make sense to say that “prices will rise higher this year.” You could say that “prices will rise”, or that “prices will be higher”, but it’s redundant (and damned weird) to say “prices will rise higher.”

So (E) is out, and we’re left with (A).

GMATNinja In (A), the comparison is between the price and the year. How is that correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

The pronoun “they” always jumps off the page at me, and in this case, it seems to refer to “refiners”, the most recent plural. That’s fine.

I’m also OK with the comparison: “refiners are paying… more for crude oil than they were [paying] last year.” I don't think that it’s ideal, but it’s definitely not wrong, and the GMAT would argue that the word “paying” is implied after “were.” Again, I’m not crazy about it, but it conveys the meaning clearly enough.

Quote:

The phrase “expected to rise higher this year over last” is definitely a mess. You would never say that prices “rise higher.” They either just rise, or they just ARE higher. I’m also not sure why we would use “over last” instead of “than last.”

The placement of “more” is also really confusing. “More” modifies “pay about $5 a barrel”, and there’s no good reason to stick the word “more” so far away from the phrase it logically modifies.

But for whatever it’s worth: “they” still seems to refer perfectly reasonably to “refiners.” And the word “did” replaces the verb “pay” (or “paid”, since “did” is past tense). So those things are OK.

But I don’t think we can get over the silly placement of “more” and the "rise higher" mess at the beginning of the sentence. So (B) is out.

Quote:

(C) has a couple of problems right in the beginning of the sentence. First of all, I can’t understand why we would say “expectations are for… prices to be higher this year.” That’s a horribly indirect way to say that “prices are expected to be higher.” The prices are the focus of the sentence, and it’s best if the prices are the grammatical subject of the sentence.

The comparison is also pretty goofy. “… heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year’s…” The problem here is the possessive “last year’s.” We could say something like “this year’s prices are higher than last year’s”, or we could say that “prices are higher this year than last year.” But it makes no sense to say that “prices are higher this year than last year’s.”

So (C) is gone.

Quote:

Like (C), (D) starts with an unnecessarily wordy expression: “it is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year…”. That’s not WRONG, exactly, but it’s definitely a crappier way to say “prices are expected to be higher this year…”

There’s also a problem with the phrase “higher this year over last.” You could say that prices were “higher this year than last”, but I can’t understand why we would use “over” in this context.

We also have an extra word that muddies the end of the underlined portion: “refiners are paying… more for crude oil now than what they were last year.” There’s absolutely no reason to include the word “what” in this sentence: “than they were last year” is enough by itself.

Quote:
(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(E) combines a bunch of problems that we saw in the other answer choices. “It is the expected” doesn't make any sense at all, especially when (A) gives us a much nicer option (“prices are expected to be higher…”). Also, there’s no reason to make “last year’s” possessive – see the explanation for (C) for more on this issue.

Finally, it doesn’t make sense to say that “prices will rise higher this year.” You could say that “prices will rise”, or that “prices will be higher”, but it’s redundant (and damned weird) to say “prices will rise higher.”

In (C), could it be "last year'[prices]"?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
In (C), could it be "last year'[prices]"?

In our last post, we attempted to explain why "last year's prices" wouldn't work. Maybe we misinterpreted your question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 2.81
Send PM
"Prices are higher this year than last year"-how is this correct? Doesn't it compare prices to year? How come it is not "Prices are higher this year than that of last year"?

Comparisons will be the end of me
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the correct answer quickly! To start, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

Because almost the entire sentence is underlined here, there is a lot we can focus on:

1. Heating-oil prices... / Expectations are for heating-oil prices... / It is the expectation that heating-oil prices... (Conciseness/Meaning)
2. than last / over last (Idioms/Parallelism)
3. pay / are paying (Verb Tense/Meaning)
4. ...more for crude oil / ...for crude oil more (Parallelism/Meaning/Conciseness)

The first one that will eliminate 2-3 options right away is #2 on our list: than last vs. over last. This is an issue of idiom usage! We know that it's correct to say that one thing is "higher than" another, and that it is NOT okay to say one thing is "higher over" another. Therefore, we can eliminate the options that use "higher over."

There you go! We can eliminate options B & D because they don't follow the proper idiom structure "higher than."

The next one that seems easy to tackle is #4 on our list: more for crude oil vs. for crude oil more. Each phrase is grammatically correct, but they mean two completely different things:

...refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil... = The price of each barrel of oil is $5 higher than before.
...refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more... = The price of each barrel of oil is only $5, but refiners are paying that $5 more often than before.

It makes more sense to say that the price of a barrel of crude oil increased by $5, rather than saying it's always been $5 and refiners just pay that more often. So let's eliminate the options that mess up the meaning here:

There you have it - option A was the correct choice! It uses concise language, correct idioms, and logical meaning! We didn't even have to deal with the other 2 items on our list because we focused on the ones that eliminated 2-3 options at a time.

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

But usage of than last is not parallel, right? It should have been, "than last year's". Because we are talking about prices. Please explain this.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
NehaKalani wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the correct answer quickly! To start, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

Because almost the entire sentence is underlined here, there is a lot we can focus on:

1. Heating-oil prices... / Expectations are for heating-oil prices... / It is the expectation that heating-oil prices... (Conciseness/Meaning)
2. than last / over last (Idioms/Parallelism)
3. pay / are paying (Verb Tense/Meaning)
4. ...more for crude oil / ...for crude oil more (Parallelism/Meaning/Conciseness)

The first one that will eliminate 2-3 options right away is #2 on our list: than last vs. over last. This is an issue of idiom usage! We know that it's correct to say that one thing is "higher than" another, and that it is NOT okay to say one thing is "higher over" another. Therefore, we can eliminate the options that use "higher over."

There you go! We can eliminate options B & D because they don't follow the proper idiom structure "higher than."

The next one that seems easy to tackle is #4 on our list: more for crude oil vs. for crude oil more. Each phrase is grammatically correct, but they mean two completely different things:

...refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil... = The price of each barrel of oil is $5 higher than before.
...refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more... = The price of each barrel of oil is only $5, but refiners are paying that $5 more often than before.

It makes more sense to say that the price of a barrel of crude oil increased by $5, rather than saying it's always been $5 and refiners just pay that more often. So let's eliminate the options that mess up the meaning here:

There you have it - option A was the correct choice! It uses concise language, correct idioms, and logical meaning! We didn't even have to deal with the other 2 items on our list because we focused on the ones that eliminated 2-3 options at a time.

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

But usage of than last is not parallel, right? It should have been, "than last year's". Because we are talking about prices. Please explain this.

Hello NehaKalani,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in this sentence the comparison is actually between "this year" and "last (year)".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GPA: 4
Send PM
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
spc11 wrote:
I do not follow the explanation for this question.

Can somebody please explain why this sentence is correct (original)?

My doubts are in these two phrases: "this year than last" and " more for crude oil than they were last year "

Thanks!!

Dear spc11,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you may find some answer to your question in the thread above, but I am happy to discuss this as well. One very tricky issue, particularly difficult for folks whose native language is something other than English, is the issue of dropping repeated words in the second branch of parallelism. See this blog article:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Consider an expanded version of the sentence:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than the heating oil prices last year because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were paying for a barrel of crude oil last year.
That is the whole sentence, with absolutely nothing omitted, so that everything is perfectly clear. The GMAT would consider this completely redundant and much longer than necessary, because every single word in red is repeated. The words in red are words in the second branch or the parallelism that already appeared in the first branch. From the GMAT's point of view, it is redundant to repeat information in the second branch that we already know form the first branch. Thus, the GMAT recommends dropping all the words in red: when we do that, we get the prompt version, choice (A), of this SC problem, a sleek and elegant sentence. The GMAT loves elegance.

Your job on the GMAT SC is to see a sentence with the words already omitted in the second branch of parallelism and to figure out what words from the first branch would be needed to make sense of the second branch.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

If I apply the same logic to below sentence:
The climate of California, where I spent my vacation, is warmer than the climate of New york, where my parents live.
Here if I drop the red part then the sentence will become:
The climate of California, where I spent my vacation, is warmer than New york, where my parents live. (This is a wrong comparison)

Please correct my understanding.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were. - this is a good option in terms of comparison

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher *redundancy* this year over *higher THAN idiom* last because refiners pay *simple present - eternal fact? It's after last year that they pay* about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's *year vs prices* because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over *idiom error* last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were - I also feel the 'what' is extra nd we can live without it. The refiners are paying more than what they were last year vs paying more than what they were last year. EMPOWERgmatVerbal Can someone confirm the role of what here? I'd like to be sure.

(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher *redundant* this year than last year's *year vs year's prices* because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So (C) is gone.

Quote:

Quote:

GMATNinja

Thank you for this helpful explanation. To clarify, I am a bit confused on your explanation as to why "last year's" is incorrect in answer C.

I am aware of a correct example of using apostrophe s from Manhattan Prep: "Beethoven's music is considered more revolutionary than Bach's."

"Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's". Is "last year's" incorrect because it seems to refer back to "expectations for heating oil prices", and it is not the expectations itself but rather just the price of the heating oil?

For your other example "prices are higher this year than last year's" --> "last year's" seems to refer to the prices ---> "prices are higher this year than last year's [prices]", so I am also not sure why this is incorrect.

Thank you for your time.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts