It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2604

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 184

Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2015, 11:07
B, C, and E can be eliminated because "did" is not parallel to are paying. it should be "were" instead.
D - higher over - incorrect comparison. higher than should be used. A is the only left - thus correct one.

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 184

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2015
Posts: 107

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 22:07
Request you to not to post answers/queries/views in question window. This prevents us to analyze the question. The whole purpose of GMAT Club forums is wasted doing so.

You have response windows to do all such things.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 48

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10110

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 23:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4287

Kudos [?]: 7917 [0], given: 364

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 04:21
The crux of the problem lies in the fact that we are comparing what refiners are paying this year with what they were paying last year. Here the 'paying' part is elided in the second arm. Please note the parallelism of progressive tense ‘are paying’ and ‘were paying’ in choices A and D.
Therefore, all choices that use the simple past tense ‘did’ are out. Between A and D, D has a problem of saying on one hand that it is an expectation and then a categorical 'will be higher'. Both are antithetical.
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Kudos [?]: 7917 [0], given: 364

Director
Director
avatar
D
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 896

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 111

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2016, 06:07
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were - 1. Expected to be higher is correct. 2. this year than last is correct comparison.

B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - Rise Higher - redundant

C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's becuase refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - Expected would be preferred over EXPECTATIONS

D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were - Expected would be preferred over EXPECTATIONS

E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - Rise Higher - redundant
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 111

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10110

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 16:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 171

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 33

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 05:56
It is not the same to "be higher" than to "rise higher". Hence, options B and E are automatically out.

"Higher over" is incorrect. Therefore, options B and D are also out.

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 33

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 87

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 48

CAT Tests
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 04:48
I got the answer by POE. I got the comparison but can not got the ellipses. Is there anyone help me to understand the ellipses.
Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 48

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10110

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 07:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Chat Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 574

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 22:24
My 2 cents - (this should be my signature :P)


A)
B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did -- as a preference we should write riser higher than not over
C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's becuase refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did


Also rise and higher seem to be redundant to me

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 370

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 23:50
papillon86 wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did



i have a doubt here...

If the original sentence were to read as below ,would that be correct?

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they did last year?
sayantanc2k
chetan2u

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3313 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 13:51
goforgmat wrote:
papillon86 wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did



i have a doubt here...

If the original sentence were to read as below ,would that be correct?

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they did last year?
sayantanc2k
chetan2u


Yes, simple past (did = paid) instead of past continuous (were paying) would also be alright. Note that in option A past continuous has been used ("were paying" - "paying" is omitted).

Kudos [?]: 3313 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 472

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 14:04
papillon86 wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did



>what is the difference between "this year than last" and "this year over last "
>In A, it is written that '' to be higher this year than last...... What? Should not it be last year in the blank?
>also, what is the problem in 'year's'?

N.B.: This thread is also seen in the another link, which makes us confused to make comments. So, can you please merge this two links so that we can make our comments without any hesitation? Thanks...

heating-oil-prices-80307.html
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 472

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 14:08
This thread is seen in another link. So, can you please merge this two link in one so that we make our comments without any hesitation?
The link are given bellow.

heating-oil-prices-are-expected-to-be-higher-th-is-year-than-95234-40.html#p1733435

Thanks...
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3313 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 10:38
iMyself wrote:
papillon86 wrote:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(d) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher for this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did



>what is the difference between "this year than last" and "this year over last "
>In A, it is written that '' to be higher this year than last...... What? Should not it be last year in the blank?
>also, what is the problem in 'year's'?

N.B.: This thread is also seen in the another link, which makes us confused to make comments. So, can you please merge this two links so that we can make our comments without any hesitation? Thanks...

heating-oil-prices-80307.html


1. Since there is a comparative adjective ("higher"), "than" must be used.
2. It is alright to omit the repeated words from the second element of parallel items, if the meaning is not obscured.
3. "Prices are expected to be higher this year than last year's (prices)": Parallelism error - the correct statement is:
"Prices are expected to be higher this year than (prices) last (year)". The words in brackets are omitted as explained in point 2 above.

Kudos [?]: 3313 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2016
Posts: 100

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 86

Location: India
Schools: ISB '19 (S), IIMA
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 00:36
I do not follow the explanation for this question.

Can somebody please explain why this sentence is correct (original)?

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.
My doubts are in these two phrases: "this year than last" and " more for crude oil than they were last year "

Thanks!!

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 86

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4426

Kudos [?]: 8459 [0], given: 102

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 14:48
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
spc11 wrote:
I do not follow the explanation for this question.

Can somebody please explain why this sentence is correct (original)?

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.
My doubts are in these two phrases: "this year than last" and " more for crude oil than they were last year "

Thanks!!

Dear spc11,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you may find some answer to your question in the thread above, but I am happy to discuss this as well. One very tricky issue, particularly difficult for folks whose native language is something other than English, is the issue of dropping repeated words in the second branch of parallelism. See this blog article:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Consider an expanded version of the sentence:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than the heating oil prices last year because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were paying for a barrel of crude oil last year.
That is the whole sentence, with absolutely nothing omitted, so that everything is perfectly clear. The GMAT would consider this completely redundant and much longer than necessary, because every single word in red is repeated. The words in red are words in the second branch or the parallelism that already appeared in the first branch. From the GMAT's point of view, it is redundant to repeat information in the second branch that we already know form the first branch. Thus, the GMAT recommends dropping all the words in red: when we do that, we get the prompt version, choice (A), of this SC problem, a sleek and elegant sentence. The GMAT loves elegance.

Your job on the GMAT SC is to see a sentence with the words already omitted in the second branch of parallelism and to figure out what words from the first branch would be needed to make sense of the second branch.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8459 [0], given: 102

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2016
Posts: 100

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 86

Location: India
Schools: ISB '19 (S), IIMA
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 10:12
mikemcgarry wrote:
spc11 wrote:
I do not follow the explanation for this question.

Can somebody please explain why this sentence is correct (original)?

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.
My doubts are in these two phrases: "this year than last" and " more for crude oil than they were last year "

Thanks!!

Dear spc11,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you may find some answer to your question in the thread above, but I am happy to discuss this as well. One very tricky issue, particularly difficult for folks whose native language is something other than English, is the issue of dropping repeated words in the second branch of parallelism. See this blog article:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Consider an expanded version of the sentence:
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than the heating oil prices last year because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were paying for a barrel of crude oil last year.
That is the whole sentence, with absolutely nothing omitted, so that everything is perfectly clear. The GMAT would consider this completely redundant and much longer than necessary, because every single word in red is repeated. The words in red are words in the second branch or the parallelism that already appeared in the first branch. From the GMAT's point of view, it is redundant to repeat information in the second branch that we already know form the first branch. Thus, the GMAT recommends dropping all the words in red: when we do that, we get the prompt version, choice (A), of this SC problem, a sleek and elegant sentence. The GMAT loves elegance.

Your job on the GMAT SC is to see a sentence with the words already omitted in the second branch of parallelism and to figure out what words from the first branch would be needed to make sense of the second branch.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thanks Mikemcgarry! Perfectly clear. I did notice that repeat words were dropped but was confused for "last" and "last year" in particular.

Upon re reading with the version you wrote for explanations, it's pretty clear!

Thanks again.

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 86

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Posts: 182

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 08:38
SPLIT1) REDUNDANCY. RISE+HIGHER. YOU NEED ONE OR THE OTHER BUT NOT BOTH. B AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT2) IDIOM. HIGHER THAN VS HIGHER OVER. B AND D ARE OUT.

SPLIT3) VERB EXPECTED VS NOUN EXPECTATIONS. THE USE OF A VERB IS MORE DIRECT. THE USE OF A NOUN IS INDIRECT AND WORDY. C AND D ARE OUT.

SPLIT4) "IT" AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SENTENCE IS A BIG RED FLAG. THIS IS CALLED THE EMPTY IT. D AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT5) HERE WE GO.... "WERE" VS "DID". "REFINERS" ARE THE ONLY WORD THAT MAKE SENSE AS THE SUBJECT OF THE WERB "WERE (PAYING)" BECAUSE NOTHING ELSE HAS THE ABILITY TO PAY. "ARE PAYING...THAN THEY WERE PAYING" IS THE CORRECT USE. THE SECOND PAYING IS AN IMPLIED VERB. WHAT GOES WELL IN THIS STRUCTURE IS THE HELPING VERB "WERE". IF THE SENTENCE WOULD SAY "PAY...THAN THEY DID" THEN "DID" WOULD BE CORRECT. BUT WE ARE GIVING THE VERB "PAYING" SO YOU NEED TO USE "WERE".

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Aug 2012
Posts: 168

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 141

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 22:45
Expected & expectation

according to Van rule , verb form is better.
E is wordy
B rise higher is redundant .
Hence A is the answer

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 141

Re: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2017, 22:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 107 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last becau

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.