Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx   Use of Beingx   Verb Tense/Formx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

"Them" is trying to refer back to a possessive pronoun, "executives'", and that's wrong on the GMAT. Non-possessive pronouns (they, them, he, she, it) can't refer back to possessive nouns on the GMAT. So (D) is gone.

GMATNinja
Thank you for the broad explanation. The explanation helps me a lot, but I intend to have a short response for the explanation D. GMAC made this sorta things flexible, right? I saw few official questions where ''Non-possessive pronouns'' refers to ''possessive nouns''!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

"Them" is trying to refer back to a possessive pronoun, "executives'", and that's wrong on the GMAT. Non-possessive pronouns (they, them, he, she, it) can't refer back to possessive nouns on the GMAT. So (D) is gone.

GMATNinja
Thank you for the broad explanation. The explanation helps me a lot, but I intend to have a short response for the explanation D. GMAC made this sorta things flexible, right? I saw few official questions where ''Non-possessive pronouns'' refers to ''possessive nouns''!

Yep, there's some flexibility, which we've discussed at length in another thread, starting here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-she ... l#p2549453.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
This is one of the OG questions that causes the most trouble, partly because a lot of GMAT test-takers have an (occasionally incorrect) impulse to automatically eliminate any answer choice with the word "being."

But we'll get to that. Let's take these buggers in order:

Quote:
A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

That second "it" is the big problem here: "makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble..." I suppose that "it" could refer to "heavy commitment" or "course of action", but neither of those would make any sense. (A) is gone.

Quote:
B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.

This is fairly subtle, but the subject doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the main verb here. "An executive... makes missing signs of incipient trouble... likely when they do appear." The pronoun "they" is OK, but it doesn't make logical sense to say that "an executive makes missing signs of trouble likely..." Also, I see no good reason use "ones" here -- in theory, "ones" would refer to very specific signs of trouble, and there's no good reason to use "ones" when a simple "them" would work. (B) is gone.

Quote:
C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.

The "it" is a problem here: "it" generally refers to the nearest singular noun. In this case, "it" would seem to refer to "trouble," and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. "Course of action" would work, but that's much farther back in the sentence.

To be fair, ambiguous pronouns aren't always wrong on the GMAT, so if you want to be conservative, you could keep (C) for now. But as we'll see in a moment, (E) is a much better option.

Quote:

Quote:
E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

There are lots of pronoun issues in the other answer choices, but we're all good with (E): the ambiguous "it" we saw in (C) isn't here at all, and "them" and "they" very clearly refer to "signs of incipient trouble." The subject "being heavily committed to a course of action" works nicely with the main verb phrase ("is likely to make an executive miss signs of trouble..."), so (E) is an upgrade from (B).

That leaves "being" as the only reasonable objection to (E). But "being" is absolutely fine here: it's just a noun, also known as a gerund in this case. "Being" is no different than any other gerund. So (E) is our answer.

Please see last Monday's Topic of the Week for more on gerunds and other "-ing" words on the GMAT: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 39780.html.

egmat karishma GMATNinja

What is the issue with option D?
I've seen OG questions in which pronouns refer back to possessive forms?

Here you're saying it cannot!

Has GMAC evolved with this theory of pronoun referring to possessives during years?
Pls clarify because I am seeing both examples as correct
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
samagra21 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
This is one of the OG questions that causes the most trouble, partly because a lot of GMAT test-takers have an (occasionally incorrect) impulse to automatically eliminate any answer choice with the word "being."

Quote:
A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

That second "it" is the big problem here: "makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble..." I suppose that "it" could refer to "heavy commitment" or "course of action", but neither of those would make any sense. (A) is gone.

Quote:
B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.

This is fairly subtle, but the subject doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the main verb here. "An executive... makes missing signs of incipient trouble... likely when they do appear." The pronoun "they" is OK, but it doesn't make logical sense to say that "an executive makes missing signs of trouble likely..." Also, I see no good reason use "ones" here -- in theory, "ones" would refer to very specific signs of trouble, and there's no good reason to use "ones" when a simple "them" would work. (B) is gone.

Quote:
C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.

The "it" is a problem here: "it" generally refers to the nearest singular noun. In this case, "it" would seem to refer to "trouble," and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. "Course of action" would work, but that's much farther back in the sentence.

To be fair, ambiguous pronouns aren't always wrong on the GMAT, so if you want to be conservative, you could keep (C) for now. But as we'll see in a moment, (E) is a much better option.

Quote:

Quote:
E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

There are lots of pronoun issues in the other answer choices, but we're all good with (E): the ambiguous "it" we saw in (C) isn't here at all, and "them" and "they" very clearly refer to "signs of incipient trouble." The subject "being heavily committed to a course of action" works nicely with the main verb phrase ("is likely to make an executive miss signs of trouble..."), so (E) is an upgrade from (B).

That leaves "being" as the only reasonable objection to (E). But "being" is absolutely fine here: it's just a noun, also known as a gerund in this case. "Being" is no different than any other gerund. So (E) is our answer.

Please see last Monday's Topic of the Week for more on gerunds and other "-ing" words on the GMAT: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 39780.html.

egmat karishma GMATNinja

Has GMAC evolved with this theory of pronoun referring to possessives during years?

Hello samagra21,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, yes; GMAT has, in recent years, relaxed its stance on the usage of subject pronouns to refer to the base of a possessive noun and no longer tests this concept on the exam.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Quote:

Is it the only sole reason to reject D? But as per GMAT, pronouns can refer back to possessive, right?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
samagra21 wrote:
egmat karishma GMATNinja

Yep -- we've updated our understanding of how the GMAT treats a possessive pronoun referring to a non-possessive antecedent. It's allowed, as long as the construction is clear and logical.

Check out this post from earlier in the thread for more on that: https://gmatclub.com/forum/heavy-commit ... l#p2500015.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
samagra21 wrote:
Quote:

Is it the only sole reason to reject D? But as per GMAT, pronouns can refer back to possessive, right?

That reference is not a reason to eliminate choice (D).

However, there is are reasons to eliminate choice (D), one stronger than the other.

The first is that "Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely ..." goes back and forth from the plural "executives" and "them" to the singular "course of action." So, unlike the other versions, this version seems to about multiple executives' being committed to a single course of action. I guess that meaning could make sense, but I get the sense from looking at the other choices that this sentence is meant to be about one executive who is committed to one course of action. So, maybe that issue is sort of a signal that this version probably isn't the credited choice.

The more solid reason to eliminate this choice appears toward the end of the choice. In "makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear," "misinterpreting" doesn't work logically with the other elements. We have a two-part list, "to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting," and the second part of the list doesn't work with the rest of the sentence. If we cross off the first part of the list, we get ""makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear." We see that "makes them likely ... misinterpreting" doesn't work. To be correct, the wording would have to be "makes them likely ... to misinterpret."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
It was easy enough to get to C and E. I noticed the pronoun issue for C, the latter clause being far away from what it was modifying. Why I chose C over E was I felt C conveyed the meaning of the sentence better. The subject of the sentence is an executive. I felt this should be introduced earlier, whereas with E its introduced way later. The meaning of the sentence isnt that being heavily committed to a course of action is like to make… It is that an executive who is heavily committed… So I must say I am still surprised as I would say meaning trumps pronoun ambiguity in GMAT, but yh, I can see it from both ways now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
What will be the level of this question on the GMAT test?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
jainanant909 wrote:
What will be the level of this question on the GMAT test?

Hi jainanant909,

The GMAT considers this a hard question (the official categories are easy/medium/hard).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Can second it not refer to executive in the first option? Can anyone explain?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [1]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Learner1001 wrote:
Can second it not refer to executive in the first option? Can anyone explain?

Check out this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/heavy-commit ... l#p2781123.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Apple Inc
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Saupayan: Mazumdar
Concentration: Economics, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

Hey GMATNinja,
I am a big fan but for the life of me I can't understand why you eliminated A here. Why is the second "it" considered a pronoun needing an antecedent?
I am no good with fancy jargon, but we do use "it" in a different sense too, right? For example: "Studying diligently makes it likely that you will do well on the GMAT". Is that sentence wrong? Because "it" doesn't have an antecedent there either. Why can't the 2nd "it" be used in that sense?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Saupayan wrote:
Hey GMATNinja,

I am a big fan but for the life of me I can't understand why you eliminated A here. Why is the second "it" considered a pronoun needing an antecedent?

I am no good with fancy jargon, but we do use "it" in a different sense too, right? For example: "Studying diligently makes it likely that you will do well on the GMAT". Is that sentence wrong? Because "it" doesn't have an antecedent there either. Why can't the 2nd "it" be used in that sense?

Thank you for being a fan!

We've written a few posts addressing this point earlier in the thread. Check 'em out, and let us know if you still have questions:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one problem at at time, and narrow it down to the correct choice! To begin, let's take a closer look at the original question, and highlight any major differences we spot in orange:

Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

D. Executives' being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

After a quick glance over the options, we have a few areas we can focus on. However, this is a question where the entire sentence is underlined, so we need to treat this differently than we do other questions! Whenever you see a question with the entire sentence underlined, there are a few areas you should pay attention to first to narrow down your options:

1. Modifiers
2. Parallelism
3. Meaning
4. Structure

Let's start with #3 on our list: meaning. There is also another glaring difference we see throughout each of the options: PRONOUNS! There are a LOT of pronouns in these sentences, so let's do a quick check to make sure all the pronouns have clear antecedents, and rule out any that don't:

first "it" = refers to "course of action" --> OK
second "it" = doesn't refer to anything, so we call this a "dummy pronoun" --> WRONG
"them" = refers to "signs of incipient trouble" --> OK

"one" = unclear; could refer to either "An executive" or "a course of action" --> WRONG
"ones" = misleading; changes meaning from referring to "signs of incipient trouble" to some other signs we haven't mentioned yet --> WRONG

"they" = unclear; could refer to "An executive," "a course of action," or "signs of incipient trouble" --> WRONG
"it" = refers back to "a course of action" --> OK

D. Executives' being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

"it" = refers to "a course of action" --> OK
first "them" = refers to "Executives" --> WRONG (see below)
second "them" = refers to "signs" --> WRONG (see below)

So why are both "them" pronouns wrong? Because placing two of the same pronoun so close together is confusing to readers. It's too ambiguous which "them" is referring to which antecedent. Yes, you could do the hard work and figure it out, but reading shouldn't require the reader to do the heavy lifting.

"one" = refers to "a course of action" --> OK
"them" = refers to "signs of incipient trouble" --> OK

Well there you have it - option E is the correct choice! It's the only sentence that used clear pronouns.

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.
"they" = unclear; could refer to "An executive," "a course of action," or "signs of incipient trouble"
"it" = refers back to "a course of action" "

I do not agree with your pronoun analysis of C. "They" is clear as it is plural and can only refer back to "signs of incipient trouble". On the contrary "it", a singular, can refer to both "trouble" and "course of action" which makes it ambiguous.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts