GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 Jan 2020, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HEC Montreal - good for nonFrench speaking Indian ???

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
HEC Montreal - good for nonFrench speaking Indian ???  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 01:11
Hi Friends,

I have got an admit from HEC Montreal for Summer'16 MBA program.

My profile :
Nationality: Indian
Experience: 12 years
Role: Project/Account Manager in IT (handling key international accounts and managing projects)
Domain: Telecom

I researched a lot about the HEC Montreal and it seems the school has very good reputation in the Canada (Mostly Quebec). I am happy with the teaching methodology and the curriculum. The most important factor about this school is the tuition fees are very low (due to governments grants). Also, as I can see the average post-MBA salaries of all the Canadian schools are almost equal, therefore, the ROI from HEC Montreal will be certainly better that any other school (for top ranked school, I will have to shell out ~ $50k more). My only concern is, I don't speak french. I would love to learn it (will start it now and keep learning while MBA), but still not sure if I would achieve the B2 level by the time I graduate.

Can I seek help from Montreal friends (or who knows about that region), about the my job prospects after MBA, with respect to HEC and language ?

Thanks in advance !!
Have a good time !!
Intern
Intern
Re: HEC Montreal - good for nonFrench speaking Indian ???  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 01:22
I would like to call help from :
CarlMtl, deadlycat, canadianchamp, westsidah408, Amazona, Crabece
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 3.23
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
HEC Montreal - good for nonFrench speaking Indian ???  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2015, 18:40
Hi amit,

I lived in Montreal for a decade (moved out of the city last year) and I can provide helpful info.

Montreal is a beautiful city. The French and English language spoken by many locals is part of the beauty that the city offers. I did my undergrad studies there and managed to work for 6 years in two different companies without speaking a word of French. However, the Quebec government does provide free French courses for new permanent residents. My stay over a long period of time helped me learn French from the people around me.

Montreal downtown is bilingual. The east end of the island is mostly French and while the west - referred to as the West Island - is English dominant. French is spoken heavily in the cities on the outskirts, such as Laval. I had hard time in my first year in Laval to get by with English only. So I moved to Montreal the next year.

MBA wise, I sat in a HEC MBA information session in 2012. The staff is very friendly and the whole program is strong - on par with Desaulets's and John Molson's. The fees are low since most of the tuition is subsidized by the government. The only reason Desaulets's is expensive is that the school decided to go private and avoid the subsidy. The university got fined by the government but it was happy to pay it and get on and fight for N.American and global rankings.

I believe if you want to stay in Montreal, HEC would be a great choice. Language won't be a problem as most likely you will be employed by a big international company whose internal communications is done in English. You will also be provided with free French courses as many companies try to encourage their employees to learn French. This is up to you and your goals. Once you hit the road running in Montreal, you can switch cities later if you decide to take a different road and build your life in another city such as Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver. Most people are attached to Montreal. It was hard for me to leave.

Overall, HEC is a good business school. If Montreal is your post graduation destination, then you are on the right path.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 23:16
I've lived in Montreal for over 10 years and had maybe 2 instances where I had to speak French. For a job, I've found it extremely hard to find a job without speaking French but if you're asking about everyday life, no problem. Unless you go to areas such as the east part of montreal you should have no problem and realistically I've been all over Montreal and had not problem.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 12:16
Dear WayneHam,

Thanks for your insights !
I understand that getting a job without french would be difficult, but as our mate farrous13 has suggested, I would be trying for big international company's where the communication is in English. I would definitely love to learn French but not sure how much I will be able to learn while the intensive MBA course. I have kept another option open where I would go to Toronto for job search, if Montreal doesn't work out. Can i know, are you working in Montreal right now ? which domain?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 17:43
I work at a hospital but it is affiliated with the English-language university system so it is in English. In any case there are a few exceptions but there's a law where companies greater than a certain size must operate in French. In my experience your options for employment will be severely limited.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HEC Montreal - good for nonFrench speaking Indian ???   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2015, 17:43

HEC Montreal - good for nonFrench speaking Indian ???

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste