GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 30 Mar 2020, 11:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HEC Paris MBA, How does INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE work?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
HEC Paris MBA, How does INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE work?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 09:13
Hi,

I am considering pursuing an MBA from HEC Paris and I am trying to understand how the international exchange program works. If there is anyone here who is from HEC Paris or knows more about it please respond.

The information on their website is very scant. They simply list the schools they partner with and say it is highly competitive but doesn't provide any more details.

I am trying to understand, what is the selection process like?

Can I choose the school I want or will it be chosen by the faculty/school admin?

What are the fees associated with it?

What courses can I take in the partner institution?

How useful is this program?

I am from Entertainment industry background, so the placements at HEC for this industry is not too great, so is doing the exchange program at NYU or USC (Both well known for these industries) useful in finding work in my industry after graduation?

Thank you!
HEC & IMD School Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: HEC Paris MBA, How does INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE work?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 20:27
Hi nofaceyet ..
Welcome to GmatClub. I have few questions for you before answering your questions:
1. What is your background - age, industry, years of experience?
2. Why you want to do MBA?
3. Why HEC? What other schools will you apply to?
4. What are your post mba career goals?

I will answer some of your questions but you can always double check with HEC staff and coordinators.

Can I choose the school I want or will it be chosen by the faculty/school admin? - There are limited numbers of seats for exchange. You may or may not get the first choice exchange school. For ex. - You want to go to Wharton. There will be lot of others who want to go there, then the faculty/staff will look for profiles, ambitions, goals. If I remember well, students need to provide this data once they are admitted.

What are the fees associated with it? - I am not sure but you need to pay your personal expenses of accommodation, travelling, etc.

What courses can I take in the partner institution? - Depends upon your choice

How useful is this program? - Good for networking, different experience

I am from Entertainment industry background, so the placements at HEC for this industry is not too great, so is doing the exchange program at NYU or USC (Both well known for these industries) useful in finding work in my industry after graduation? - If you are planning to stay in the same industry and you believe that NYU/USC are good for that industry, it would be better to apply in NYU/USC and not HEC. Exchange is good to network, meet new people, experience different culture/language, take specific course but getting a job will be extreme. So, I would recommend to modify your goals.
nofaceyet wrote:
Hi,

I am considering pursuing an MBA from HEC Paris and I am trying to understand how the international exchange program works. If there is anyone here who is from HEC Paris or knows more about it please respond.

The information on their website is very scant. They simply list the schools they partner with and say it is highly competitive but doesn't provide any more details.

I am trying to understand, what is the selection process like?

Can I choose the school I want or will it be chosen by the faculty/school admin?

What are the fees associated with it?

What courses can I take in the partner institution?

How useful is this program?

I am from Entertainment industry background, so the placements at HEC for this industry is not too great, so is doing the exchange program at NYU or USC (Both well known for these industries) useful in finding work in my industry after graduation?

Thank you!

B

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 20:57
Thanks a lot for your response! So to answer your questions...

Quote:
1. What is your background - age, industry, years of experience?
I am 32 years old and a film industry professional with 6 years of experience.

Quote:
2. Why you want to do MBA?
I want to fast track my career. I have been working in mostly indie film industry but recently I moved to studio side and i realized that there are certain management and business skills that I lack which can be acquired quickly at a B-School and will help me raise faster in the corporate hierarch when compared to a traditional path of gaining work experience and

Quote:
3. Why HEC? What other schools will you apply to?

I am thinking of INSEAD, LBS and IMD

Quote:
If you are planning to stay in the same industry and you believe that NYU/USC are good for that industry, it would be better to apply in NYU/USC and not HEC.

So the problem is I cannot do an MBA at those places because I have already completed a US masters and therefore I am not eligible for OPT and I'd have to get an H1B sponser right after graduation and even that is based on lottery, so overall it wont make financial sense for me to do an MBA in USA and that is why I am looking at schools outside the US.

Do you have any other suggestions for someone who wants to stay in the entertainment industry post MBA but has to do it outside the US?

Quote:
4. What are your post mba career goals?

Working at a large film studio or a consulting company that advices business in the film industry.
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 21:51
Hi nofaceyet ..
I agree with you on the constraints and lottery system. Your unique industry will be a benefit. Do you have a GMAT score? If not, you need to get around 720.
INSEAD and LBS will be bit tough. Unfortunately, I do not know about entertainment industry and which schools could help you.
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 22:21
Yeah I already took my GMAT (700, Q47, V39, AWA5.5, LR8). Would you suggest I retake it even if I am aiming only HEC?
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 22:27
700 is a good score. Increase to 720 if you can. You can apply to Jan 21 intake. Link below -
https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 13778.html

nofaceyet wrote:
Yeah I already took my GMAT (700, Q47, V39, AWA5.5, LR8). Would you suggest I retake it even if I am aiming only HEC?

Re: HEC Paris MBA, How does INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE work?   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2020, 22:27

HEC Paris MBA, How does INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE work?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Leadership