GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HEC Paris MBA vs. UF Warrington

new topic post reply Update application status  

HEC vs. Warrington

• 72% [13]
  • 27% [5]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
HEC Paris MBA vs. UF Warrington  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 23:02
Hey Guys,

I am having such a hard time deciding which MBA program to attend. I have been accepted to HEC and University of Florida for the Fall 2019 cohorts. I am hesitant about both schools. While HEC is higher ranked on the FT rankings, it is also a lot more expensive than UF MBA. UF gives all admitted students a full-ride scholarship. The fees for HEC will total over $70k for tuition. My main goal post-MBA is to go into Luxury, CPG or tech and it seems like HEC has a better pipeline for these types of companies. Also, I would like to work abroad.

Although one of my main goals for pursuing an MBA is to work abroad in Europe, I am very scared about job prospects for an American that only speaks English. I don’t want to invest such a large sum of money into HEC unless I know that I will get a good ROI. I’m a little nervous since I am much younger than the average MBA student and only have 3 years work experience. So I feel like I can’t trust HEC’s average/median salary for graduates.

Even with all of this I want to go to HEC but I think it’s a gamble. What do you guys think?

Posted from my mobile device
HEC & IMD School Moderator
D
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: HEC Paris MBA vs. UF Warrington  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 01:01
Hi,
Congratulations for the admits. I can only comment about HEC. I know a bit about them and I am interested to pursue a MBA from there. Your post MBA goals are quite clear and location too. HEC is one of the reputed schools in Europe. Local language is recommended to know but not obligatory to get placements. If you want to go back to US and wants to work for some time in Europe - English will be sufficient and you will gradually learn A2 level of local language which is enough for survival. You can learn when you know the job location.

Cost is huge - € 70k is quite high + living expenses (around € 18k - 20k).
Risk - HEC
Safe - Warrington :)

For Warrington - You must check the placement records, companies came, try to connect with alumni, search for similar post MBA profiles.

Feel free to ask any further question, I would be happy to help if I can :)
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
HEC Paris MBA vs. UF Warrington  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 May 2019, 07:37
Congrats on the admits!

Would help if you shared some stats (GMAT/GPA/Work Experience). You are right to be apprehensive about jumping to HEC given your concerns. I am wondering if you applied elsewhere in the US and what the results were? Any schools in the 20-25ish range? Do you for sure want to work abroad? If so, any luck at the British schools? Because of your age/work experience you certainly have the option to reapply. However, if you are set on going this year I would do the following:

Reach out to alum from the school who a) share a similar background or b) are in your desired industry. You'll be surprised at how candid they can be with feedback about their programs.

HEC will open doors in Europe and is certainly in a higher tier, just make sure you get an accurate view of the recruiting for people in your position.

Originally posted by mradamsmith on 17 May 2019, 06:53.
Last edited by mradamsmith on 17 May 2019, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 07:28
chrisspoole1 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am having such a hard time deciding which MBA program to attend. I have been accepted to HEC and University of Florida for the Fall 2019 cohorts. I am hesitant about both schools. While HEC is higher ranked on the FT rankings, it is also a lot more expensive than UF MBA. UF gives all admitted students a full-ride scholarship. The fees for HEC will total over $70k for tuition. My main goal post-MBA is to go into Luxury, CPG or tech and it seems like HEC has a better pipeline for these types of companies. Also, I would like to work abroad.

Although one of my main goals for pursuing an MBA is to work abroad in Europe, I am very scared about job prospects for an American that only speaks English. I don’t want to invest such a large sum of money into HEC unless I know that I will get a good ROI. I’m a little nervous since I am much younger than the average MBA student and only have 3 years work experience. So I feel like I can’t trust HEC’s average/median salary for graduates.

Even with all of this I want to go to HEC but I think it’s a gamble. What do you guys think?

Hi Congrats on your Admit.
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 07:33
chrisspoole1 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Congratulations for the admit. Between these 2 Schools, HEC is expensive. However, your returns would be high compared to UF. I suggest you go with HEC only.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 08:02
mradamsmith wrote:
Congrats on the admits!

Would help if you shared some stats (GMAT/GPA/Work Experience). You are right to be apprehensive about jumping to HEC given your concerns. I am wondering if you applied elsewhere in the US and what the results were? Any schools in the 20-25ish range? Do you for sure want to work abroad? If so, any luck at the British schools? Because of your age/work experience you certainly have the option to reapply. However, if you are set on going this year I would do the following:

Reach out to alum from the school who a) share a similar background or b) are in your desired industry. You'll be surprised at how candid they can be with feedback about their programs.

HEC will open doors in Europe and is certainly in a higher tier, just make sure you get an accurate view of the recruiting for people in your position.

@mrdamsmith I actually took the GRE and scored a 320 and my GPA is a 3.53. As for work experience, I have spent 3 years working in Technology for both mid-sized and large global companies. I was planning on starting to apply for American schools if I didn't get into any European schools because the cost in America is so high and the programs are longer. Also, my main goal professionally is to work abroad for a few years and going to school abroad seemed like the easiest path to do that. As for British schools, the only ones that are higher than HEC are LBS, Oxford and Cambridge. I didn't apply to them because I thought I wouldn't get in. Heck, I didn't think I would even get into HEC.

I am have calls set up with Alumni and admissions for this week and next. Depending on what they say, I will decide.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 08:05
kiran120680 wrote:
chrisspoole1 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Congratulations for the admit. Between these 2 Schools, HEC is expensive. However, your returns would be high compared to UF. I suggest you go with HEC only.

Thanks, kiran120680. I'm a very risk-averse person, but I think I really leaning towards just going to HEC.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 08:15
sjas31 wrote:
Hi,
Congratulations for the admits. I can only comment about HEC. I know a bit about them and I am interested to pursue a MBA from there. Your post MBA goals are quite clear and location too. HEC is one of the reputed schools in Europe. Local language is recommended to know but not obligatory to get placements. If you want to go back to US and wants to work for some time in Europe - English will be sufficient and you will gradually learn A2 level of local language which is enough for survival. You can learn when you know the job location.

Risk - HEC

For Warrington - You must check the placement records, companies came, try to connect with alumni, search for similar post MBA profiles.

Thanks for your help sjas31! I wish you the best of luck with applying to business school. As for what you were saying about language requirements, I really want to try my best to become fluent in French if I decide to go to HEC. However, if this does not happen, do you know anything about HEC's reputation in the UK? I know the UK already has some of the best business schools, but was wondering if HEC might have some pull there too?
HEC & IMD School Moderator
D
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 00:49
chrisspoole1 wrote:
sjas31 wrote:
Hi,

Risk - HEC

Thanks for your help sjas31! I wish you the best of luck with applying to business school. As for what you were saying about language requirements, I really want to try my best to become fluent in French if I decide to go to HEC. However, if this does not happen, do you know anything about HEC's reputation in the UK? I know the UK already has some of the best business schools, but was wondering if HEC might have some pull there too?

@chrisspoole1 - Thank you for the wishes. Learning a local language always help. The current students told me (I went to HEC open day) that they are not able to practice French because everyone speaks English. Due to this, some are taking 1 to 1 classes online. Also, they have good placements in other parts of Europe. For ex.: Netherlands, where you do not require Dutch. You can live well with English.
HEC is known in UK. LBS/Oxford/Cambridge will have a slight edge but I think you should not care about it. HEC avg. salary is better then Oxford/Cambridge. I have seen many Alumni profiles. Moreover in UK, you will find HEC, IESE, IE, IMD graduates as well. If you are targeting Luxury, I believe HEC would be great.

I know, you are not so interested in 2 year programs but why don't you try in Emory, Mendoza, Cornell (1 year option)? Try LBS also if you can :)
G

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 09:20
A professor at my school (who was formerly in the c suite of unilever) would always say that you have to make the best use of your MBA within the first three years of graduation. He talked about how he would hire at all the top business schools in the country.
The reason why I say this because, I feel right after graduation you’ll have exposure to a lot of well known companies through HEC compared to UF.

It’s hard to compare schools in different parts of the world, because local economy, local politics, and local media support create a perception about schools

Look at their employment reports...

yes, it’s expensive - but you’re getting an MBA to get that exposure to top hiring companies and push your career forward. So it’s the demand supply thing of economics - you’ll pay a higher tuition for a better return on investment.

To me it’s HEC, worth the money.

RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 14:57
JohnJohnJ wrote:

It’s hard to compare schools in different parts of the world, because local economy, local politics, and local media support create a perception about schools

It is very wise :thumbup: You put the words in my head in just nicely few words. I try to describe this to many people. Always look to the school in context.

Thanks JohnJohnJ
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HEC Paris MBA vs. UF Warrington   [#permalink] 18 May 2019, 14:57

HEC Paris MBA vs. UF Warrington

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate