Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [2]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [4]
Re: HEC Paris September2012 Intake [#permalink]
Kudos
Other than the MBA dorms, I'm not sure whether there is currently an option for a single room equipped with its own private bathroom. And by "bathroom," I mean toilet. Every room has its own sink area, but usually two people will share the shower. The housing office almost always matches the people of the same gender to share the shower (shower mates are male-male or female-female). But, again, there were a few guys and girls sharing the showers.

However, you may be in luck. The school was constructing new buildings and had some extra dorms near the construction site. Those might have full private bathrooms, but I don't know for sure.

In the very beginning of either semester, complimentary buses will be provided for students to go to IKEA. You must go to this store no matter what! Buy a floor mat for the shower area and the usual toiletries, a clothes rack for drying clothes (there are washer and dryers on campus, but just in case), towels, and a mini-heater. The stuff is pretty cheap. And definitely purchase an electric kettle. This is what saved me. You can also get a fridge, but this is excessive in my opinion. Don't worry about bowls, plates, cups, or utensils. Everyone "acquires" them from the campus restaurant. Just slip them in your school bag or purse. The best time to do this is during breakfast. Breakfast, by the way, is horrible. It's free, but you only have access to bad bread, jams, and a coffee machine. Save yourself the hassle and time by using the kettle for preparing oatmeal in your room, or whatever kind of simple breakfast that you can prepare in your room. For me, it was oatmeal with raisens and almonds with milk. The milk is UHT milk, so it doesn't have to be stored unless you open it. And even then, it will be cold enough outside, so you can leave it on your balcony. The balcony is actually a very good size!

Living without a kitchen is tricky at first, but you will adapt. Whatever you do, don't simply freeze up about it and do nothing. That's what I did at first, unfortunately. Be proactive early! Buy whatever you need at IKEA as soon as possible and make sure to get everything on that day. There's a grocery about 15 minutes away from the school. The walk is nice (except in winter, so take the bus then) and the grocery has enough stuff. The cafeteria provides food, but it usually isn't that good. But you will get used to it.

My educational experience comes from the economics and finance departments, which are quite different from the management section. This makes it somewhat difficult to provide a meaningful response, since I had absolutely nothing to do with management. But I did know a few management students, and it seemed that they liked the program overall and weren't too stressed out from the workload. But things are not always as the seem, are they? :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey,

Great response.

I'm probably headed for HEC too, but in the finance department. Had the same concerns about accommodation. How is accommodation organized? Do you fill out a form with your preference and then wait for them to assign it? And is there a contact number for the housing department (I only found different numbers for the different residences)? I'd like to found out some more about what they offer, but I don't think they send more information about housing until June.

And seeing as you were in the finance department as well. How did it work out for you?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
From what I remember, you will get a form asking for your preferences and security deposit. Your choices are for a single room or a double (apartment). I don't recall them asking which building you would like, though (building G or E, for instance). After you send them the document (and money), they will eventually provide a document with your room number.

While I was there, the finance, financial economics, and sustainable development students were almost entirely placed in building F. Some were also in building G.

As for contact info, the main office for accomodation is in building C (contact information for the other buildings will probably not help you). I might have the number or email somewhere, so I'll look for it soon.

The MSc Finance program is one of the hardest degrees at HEC, so be prepared for lots of hard work and no sleep. Most students, however, felt that it was a very good program. And many also placed in good internships or jobs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks!

Good to know it's a difficult program, otherwise I feel I'd just be wasting money. :)

If you happen to find the number it would be nice. In any case, your responses have been very informative.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Kudos
Here is some contact information for the Residence Office that I found on some papers from 2010. Some of it may be outdated, so also try to contact the accueil (reception) office for information. People there are pretty helpful. Also, it would be convenient if you or somebody you know can speak French for any discussion over the phone.

Head Office:
Veronique MARTIN-WAKIM
Email: martinwakim@hec.fr
Tel: 01.39.67.71.40

Reservations, Arrivals and Departure:
Email: ??? (this guy no longer works at HEC)
Tel: 01.39.67.71.39

If you contact anyone via email, make sure to capitalize the entire last name (e.g. Charles SMITH). If you don't know the name, just type "Dear Sir or Madam." Be very polite and humble, but not too wordy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fantastic! Thank you so much.

My French isn't too bad, so I should manage over the phone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hello everyone.

I am also admitted at the MSc in Management and I would also like to find someone interested in sharing appartment.. I'm a male student, so looking for male students. If anyone interested send me a message..
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Send PM