Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [472]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [226]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [42]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
icandy wrote:
Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are more flavorful.

(A) cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are

(B) cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although

(C) cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are

(D) cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although

(E) cousins; they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but they are

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that heirloom tomatoes look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins in that they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but these tomatoes are more flavorful.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Parallelism

• In a “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.
• Elements in a sentence should only be parallel if they play the same role in the sentence.
• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("but" and “although” in this case) must be parallel.

A: This answer choice incorrectly modifies "their round and red supermarket cousins" with "often green and striped", incorrectly implying that the heirloom tomatoes' round and red supermarket cousins are often green and striped; the intended meaning is that the heirloom tomatoes themselves are often green and striped; remember, in a “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Moreover, Option A uses the clause "Heirloom tomatoes...look less appetizing...or have plenty of bumps and bruises"; the parallelism between "look less appetizing" and "have plenty of bumps and bruises" incorrectly implies that heirloom tomatoes either look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins or have plenty of bumps and bruises; the intended meaning is that heirloom tomatoes look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins in that they have plenty of bumps and bruises; remember, elements in a sentence should only be parallel if they play the same role in the sentence. Further, Option A fails to maintain parallelism between "Heirloom tomatoes...look less appetizing..." and "are more powerful"; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("but" in this case) must be parallel.

B: This answer choice incorrectly modifies "their round and red supermarket cousins" with "often green and striped", incorrectly implying that the heirloom tomatoes' round and red supermarket cousins are often green and striped; the intended meaning is that the heirloom tomatoes themselves are often green and striped; remember, in a “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Moreover, Option B uses the phrase "or with plenty of bumps and bruises", leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that heirloom tomatoes often have bumps and bruises. Further, Option B fails to maintain parallelism between "Heirloom tomatoes...look less appetizing..." and "more powerful"; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("although" in this case) must be parallel.

C: This answer choice incorrectly modifies "their round and red supermarket cousins" with "often green and striped", incorrectly implying that the heirloom tomatoes' round and red supermarket cousins are often green and striped; the intended meaning is that the heirloom tomatoes themselves are often green and striped; remember, in a “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Moreover, Option C uses the clause "or they have plenty of bumps and bruises"; the parallelism between "Heirloom tomatoes...look less appetizing" and "they have plenty of bumps and bruises" incorrectly implies that heirloom tomatoes either look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins or have plenty of bumps and bruises; the intended meaning is that heirloom tomatoes look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins in that they have plenty of bumps and bruises; remember, elements in a sentence should only be parallel if they play the same role in the sentence.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "or with plenty of bumps and bruises"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that heirloom tomatoes often have bumps and bruises. Further, Option D fails to maintain parallelism between "Heirloom tomatoes...look less appetizing..." and "more flavorful"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("although" in this sentence) must be parallel.

E: Correct. This answer choice avoids the modifier error seen in Options A, B, C, and D, as it uses the independent clause "they are often green and striped", conveying the intended meaning - that "they" (heirloom tomatoes) are often green and striped. Moreover, Option E uses the phrase "or they have plenty of bumps and bruises", correctly maintaining parallelism between "are often green and striped" and "have plenty of bumps and bruises", conveying the intended meaning - that heirloom tomatoes look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins in that they have plenty of bumps and bruises; parallelism between these two phrases is correct, as both refer to an action taken by "they (heirloom tomatoes)". Further, Option E maintains parallelism between "Heirloom tomatoes...look less appetizing..." and "they are more flavorful".

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [19]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A, B and C clearly are wrong, because they take the information about heirloom tomatoes and put it into a grammatical structure which makes it a postmodifier of the SUPERMARKET tomatoes. (The grammatical structure used, if anyone cares, is a non-restrictive postmodifying adjective phrase. Actually, it is a sequence of two such phrases.)

The difference between D and E is also fairly obvious. In D, the two postmodifying phrases are not parallel in structure (clause with verb and prepositional phrase), while in E, they are both clauses with verbs. So only E can be correct.

The problem, as icandy says, is that "they" in E is still grammatically ambiguous. Maybe this indicates that the question is not an official GMAC question. But from what I have seen, even the GMAC itself is not perfectly consistent about pronoun ambiguity. I think (not quite sure) that sometimes they accept a pronoun ambiguity such as this one in one question, while treating the same thing as wrong in another question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sanjay I think you mean subject of the first sentence.

I think Heirloom tomatoes in the first half of the sentence is the subject.

I think the they/it refers to the subject of the first part of the sentence.

And am I correct in thinking that:

D. cousins; they are often green and striped (verb clause), or with plenty of bumps and bruises (prepositional phrase) although ---Hence NOT CORRECT
E. cousins; they are often green and striped (verb clause), or have plenty of bumps and bruises (verb clause), but they are ----Hence CORRECT

So it doesnt have anything to do with the usage of Although? D is not wrong coz of although?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [13]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
"Although" cannot be used to introduce phrases. It should be followed with a subordinate clause, which has a subject and verb. (Ref OG 11, explanation for SC 9).

So B and D are out.
C out for using "they have plenty", where I feel "they" is ambiguously used and sentence structure is illogocal.

Out of A and E, E sounds logical, though in this option as well I find "they" used ambiguously.

IMO E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Send PM
Above question has already been discussed in this forum.

But I need more explanation in reference to the usage of although in D.

Someone wrote in the previous three that Although don't have a subject in D, hence option D is wrong.

Please explain the above concept in detail.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Mike,
I would like to have your inputs on the question. I prefer option E) to A) but I am not sure. Can you please explain once.
Thanks, Kinjal
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [13]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vivekdixit07 wrote:
Above question has already been discussed in this forum.

But I need more explanation in reference to the usage of although in D.

Someone wrote in the previous three that Although don't have a subject in D, hence option D is wrong.

Please explain the above concept in detail.

The word "although" kicks of a dependent CLAUSE and needs a cleear subject.

Examples:

Although they had no umbrellas, the excited children ran outside to enjoy the summer rainstorm. -- Logical and Correct.
Although had no umbrellas, the excited children ran outside to enjoy the summer rainstorm - Illogical without the subject "they".

In option D [although are more flavorful], "although" does not have an explicit (or even clearly implied) subject, therefore it is incorrect.

KW
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [2]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
smashingpumpkins wrote:
Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are more flavorful.

(A) cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are

(B) cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although

(C) cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are

(D) cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although

(E) cousins; they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but they are

This is a meaning/modifier/parallelism SC so I would rate it at the 650 level

First three are incorrect answer choices. The clause often green and striped is meant to refer to Heirloom tomatoes not their cousins. Next, semi-colon is appropiate to separate both ideas.
Now between D and E, 'E' might look a little longer but its fine! It expresses the idea clearly in the last part after the comma showing //ism too (they are....but they are)

Looking good

E is our best choice

Hope it helps!
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Kudos
jlgdr wrote:

First three are incorrect answer choices. The clause often green and striped is meant to refer to Heirloom tomatoes not their cousins. Next, semi-colon is appropiate to separate both ideas.
Now between D and E, 'E' might look a little longer but its fine! It expresses the idea clearly in the last part after the comma showing //ism too (they are....but they are)

Looking good

E is our best choice

Hope it helps!
Cheers
J :)

Between D & E,
Although should always be followed by a bonafide noun-verb. In D, there is no noun after although. So the usage is wrong.
In E, comma + but is the co-ordinating conjunction which is properly connecting the independent clauses.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [11]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos