GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Re: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 10:10
Hi expert,
In my 2 cents,option D could be a good contender of this question.
Option A,B,and C are gone as "often green and stripe" wrongly modifies cousins.
"they" in option E is not ambiguous;"they",as the subject" all refer to Heirloom tomatoes.
However,I find it difficult to eliminate option D.

Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins; they are often green and striped, or (they are)with plenty of bumps and bruises, although more flavorful.
or it is only acceptable only the 2nd independent clause reads ", although more flavorful,they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises.

Please shed some light on this
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Re: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 07:57
Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are more flavorful.

(A) cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are -green and stripped seem to wrongly modify supermarket tomatoes
(B) cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although -green and stripped seem to wrongly modify supermarket tomatoes
(C) cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are -green and stripped seem to wrongly modify supermarket tomatoes
(D) cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although -"with" disrupts parallelism. "although" is not sounding correct.
(E) cousins; they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but they are -Correct
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 13:34
icandy wrote:
Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are more flavorful.

(A) cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are

(B) cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although

(C) cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are

(D) cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although

(E) cousins; they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but they are

SC04603

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 103: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

This one is quite tricky. Lots of different phrases…
In A there are a lot of problems. The most obvious here is that ‘often green and striped’ refers to the ‘supermarket cousins’ but that is the exact opposite of what the sentence is supposed to mean. This is enough to drop A. B has the exact same issue and looks even messier so lets just take that one out right away. C has less problems but still has the same main issue, so drop it. D does not have the issue and seems largely error-free but its ending reads as ‘although more flavorful’’, which is …awkward and seems to have words missing. This leaves E, which I think is clearly the best option. It does not have the issues present in A, D, and C and its ending makes more sense than D’s. E is right.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2019, 08:04
GMATNinja wrote:
Full disclosure: I missed this one the first time I saw it, mostly because I was too mechanical about “pronoun ambiguity.”

GMATNinja - It would be one thing to stand behind a perfect score and dictate why such-and-such an answer might be correct, but I am impressed by your show of vulnerability. I gave you a kudos, not that I imagine you need extras, for that confession alone, but I think I also echo the thoughts of many readers when I say that your meticulous yet engaging treatment of the responses is a paragon of thoughtful analysis. I enjoy reading your posts, and I hope that I, as a tutor, may improve my own methods and comprehension of topics to one day come out on top and hit that elusive perfect score.

Great work once again. My own confession: although I got this one right on the first attempt, I have missed others either through carelessness or, on occasion, through a genuine lack of understanding. The process of improvement is what I live for.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 04:33
NeoNguyen1989 wrote:
On the explanation of GmatNinja for answer D, I wonder whether that the "or with..." phrase is problematic since there is no prep phrase before that? In other words, if the prep phrase need to be parallel with another prep phrase?

Posted from my mobile device

NeoNguyen - I cannot speak to what GMATNinja might say--I think he touches on the topic in his explanation to answer (B), and maybe he did not want to repeat himself--but or with, the two words together, does provide one fork in the road that deterred me from choosing answer (D). That is, I would be fine with a second independent clause that said, "they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises..." just as I could get behind one that said, "they are often green and striped, with plenty of bumps and bruises..." but or with is NOT the cleanest way of expressing that extra descriptor. I would, in fact, expect a more parallel construct in the correct answer. Apart from that issue, (D) also falls flat at the end, as GMATNinja noted earlier. I wonder, did you pick (D), or are you simply posing your question out of curiosity? Either way, nice catch. These nuances can make all the difference in SC questions, and drawing attention to them as you have here is a great way to help others in their studies. That warrants a kudos from me.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2019, 04:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics