GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 09 Apr 2020, 23:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Help in choosing McGill/Queen's/Smeal /Foster/Wisconsin

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.79
GMAT ToolKit User
Help in choosing McGill/Queen's/Smeal /Foster/Wisconsin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2019, 01:35
Hi,

So I have been admitted to the following -

1) Krannert ( some scholarship) - I am not going to pursue this.
2) Smeal - Full ride + fellowship + healthcare
3)McGill - close to 30% scholarship ( haven't negotiated)
4) Queen's ( One year program) - 20% scholarship ( haven't negotiated)

Waiting for results :

Foster - Don't have high hopes on scholarship for my GMAT score.

Wisconsin ( STEM Approved) - Applied in R3, but I hope they offer me a good deal.

Now about my profile and Post MBA goals:

I have around 8 years experience in tech in various roles as engineer/product manager/ customer escalation lead. I also have experience in co-founding couol of start ups in travel space. I want to continue in Tech and assume Product Manager/program Manager kind of roles. Back up maybe Tech consulting / strategic consulting

Now the Pros

Mcgill- Top university in Canada, well recognized globally, decent scholarship compare to Canadian standards( Max they give is 50%), the living cost will be less in Montreal, diverse class, immigration-friendly

Queens - well recognized in Canada( oldest program), one year program so the opportunity cost will be beneficial, near to Toronto, good placements record, immigration-friendly

Smeal- $$$ :) BEST ROI possibly? I might finish my MBA with just 15-20k investment thanks to the generous offer, known for its Supply Chain branch( so tech companies do visit the school, but will it be beneficial for me? I guess no), less cost of living compared to other big towns, Near to my Sisters place ( I get to spend time with my niece/ nephew :) )

Foster - Probably the best fit school for me when it comes to my post-MBA goals, all top tech companies have their headquarters Seattle, 100% internship and probably a sure shot job after MBA, well recognized globally, almost top 20 US school and top 45 in the world, pleasant weather

Wisconsin- 3 years OPT visa!!!, the program ( OTM specialization) tailor-made for my post-MBA goals, cost of living is decent, good no. of companies visit campus for recruiting, very focused small class, probably will get a decent internship/job

CONS:

Mcgill - spend close to 70k CAD on tuition + 30-40k CAD on living for 2 years., Quebec jobs mostly need French, Candian employers ask for Canadian experience and there will be a little struggle, need to travel to Toronto a lot to build the networking( so time + cost) , WEATHER !

Queens - Spend close to 75k CAD on tuition + 40k CAD in living for 1 year, No internship and hence no Canadian experience, school Known for consulting, WEATHER! ( probably less harsh than Toronto)

Smeal - spend around 15-20k USD overall for the living and other expenses, less networking opportunities, not many companies come to campus to hire under marketing stream, 1 year OPT Visa

Foster - close to 140k USD on tuition and living for 2 years as Seattle is expensive as damn! and 1 year OPT Visa ( that's the only disadvantage I can think of)

Wisconsin - around 120K in fees + living ( probably i will get some scholarship +/ GA ) , less networking opportunities @ Wisconsin. CLosest tech hub is Chicago ( but hey can I compete with Chicago schools?), less starting salary may be? ( if I do end up getting a job), the school took a hit recently due to the proposal of closing down the program( but hey they have a new dean and program is strong)

So this is my analysis so far. Can some add their thoughts/experience and help me choose the right school for me. I don't have any financial support from anyone and I have some dependants as well, no collateral properties to secure low-interest loans. Might have to choose Prodigy or similar avenues to finance my MBA. Worst case I take out big loans and then I don't get my H1 within a year, I need to return to my home country and return the $ loans in rupees( Fear with Foster). Similarly choosing Canadian schools, I might have to face some challenges finding a job but I believe eventually I will find something good. I might end up paying the loans for the next 3 years after my MBA.

Would really appreciate your views.

Thanks
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help in choosing McGill/Queen's/Smeal /Foster/Wisconsin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 00:59
Can someone please comment on this, please? It will be of great help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Mar 2019, 08:34
McGill and Queen's both are nice and immigration friendly, and you can convert your student permit to work permit in Canada so you have sufficient time to find jobs. Weather is harsh, but I cannot think of any other drawback there.

Originally posted by US09 on 14 Mar 2019, 03:31.
Last edited by US09 on 14 Mar 2019, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 03:48
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 03:55
I think for me it would be a toss up between McGill and Foster.

Foster is a great program and close to T20. It's only going to improve over the next few years. They recruit really well into tech roles in the Bay Area and of course Seattle. If you want to work in Tech in any of these places you cant really get much better than Foster.

McGill is also a great program and the immigration situation would be much easier and a safer bet than in the US.

If you are feeling more risk averse I'd go for McGill. If you are up for taking a bit more of a risk I'd go for Foster.

I think these two are a step above your other options IMO.
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 04:29
[quote="Mirren1"]I think for me it would be a toss up between McGill and Foster.

Foster is a great program and close to T20. It's only going to improve over the next few years. They recruit really well into tech roles in the Bay Area and of course Seattle. If you want to work in Tech in any of these places you cant really get much better than Foster.

McGill is also a great program and the immigration situation would be much easier and a safer bet than in the US.

If you are feeling more risk averse I'd go for McGill. If you are up for taking a bit more of a risk I'd go for Foster.

I think these two are a step above your other options IMO.[/quote]

Do you think it's worth going with McGill / Fostwr with that much of investment when you already have an full ride offer ?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 07:41
Personally I would. It comes back to the whole question of why do you want to do an MBA in the first place?

If you choose to go to the USA over Canada, I think Foster will offer you better career opportunities than Smeal and will offer greater career earnings long term. The ROI on MBA's is a well researched topic and its widely accepted that its one of the best investments you can make. If you get a partial Scholarship from Foster and have to take some loan out I still think you would be in a stronger financial position 5-10 years down the line.

Just my opinion though. You are in a good position either way and I'm sure either option will be a success for you.
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 07:43
Mirren1 wrote:
Personally I would. It comes back to the whole question of why do you want to do an MBA in the first place?

If you choose to go to the USA over Canada, I think Foster will offer you better career opportunities than Smeal and will offer greater career earnings long term. The ROI on MBA's is a well researched topic and its widely accepted that its one of the best investments you can make. If you get a partial Scholarship from Foster and have to take some loan out I still think you would be in a stronger financial position 5-10 years down the line.

Just my opinion though. You are in a good position either way and I'm sure either option will be a success for you.

Thanks a lot for sharing your view. The only worry I have is not getting H1 visa and having to return the huge loans by earning else where .

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 08:59
workout wrote:
Tagging a few who can help.

billionaire
WaterFlowsUp
Mo2men
bb

Waiting for your views

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help in choosing McGill/Queen's/Smeal /Foster/Wisconsin   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2019, 08:59

Help in choosing McGill/Queen's/Smeal /Foster/Wisconsin

new topic post reply Update application status