GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Help needed to devise GMAT Preparation Strategy (2 weeks left)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Help needed to devise GMAT Preparation Strategy (2 weeks left)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 22:33
Hello everyone,

I have my GMAT exam in 2 weeks. I want to know the study strategy I should follow for the 2 weeks.

(My preparation so far)
I started my preparation 3 months back. For quant I didn't do much of a practice since I had a good base because of my engineering background. I have solved OG 2018,17,16 and verbal review (made a few mock tests from the questions) and gave my first GMatPrep.

GmatPrep 1 - 710 (Q48,V38)
I was kind of in shock since I always was able to score 50/51 in Quant. Also in verbal I had total of 14 questions wrong (10 SC, 2 CR, 2 RC). I completely shifted my focus on SC and Quant. Unable to find good material for practice I downloaded the GmatPrep question bank provided in the gmatclub. I found the questions extremely relevant and began solving diligently (both Quant and SC).

GMATPrep 2- 770 (Q51, V44), this score is highly inflated since I had solved around 25% of Prep question bank. Nonetheless, now I was quite confident in SC. Started watching thursdays with Ron SC videos. I bought the Exam packs and questions pack. Solved the medium level questions SC and CR from the question pack and gave my 3rd GmatPrep.

(Latest)GmatPrep3 - 750 (Q50, V41) . I had 9 questions wrong in verbal (4 SC, 4 CR, 1 RC) and 5 questions wrong in quant. I think that 5 questions wrong in quant would
lead to around 48 in the actual GMAT. The questions were not repeated this time (except 1 CR).

After analyzing this test I have made the following study plan for the following 2 weeks.

For SC
- Hard questions Question Pack.
- Meaning based questions gathered by carcass.
- Continue with the Prep question bank.

For CR
- Solve LSAT CR by broall
- I have made an error log of CR good questions, will solve them all once.

For Quant
- Solving GmatClub tests.

If someone can provide me insight on the following, I would be really grateful.

>From where can I find notes or materials on GMAT Quant tricks and traps. If some one has it, I request you to please share it with me. I think it would definitely
help me if I can familiarize myself with them.

> Is my strategy for SC practice sound. I personally doubt the "Meaning based questions" provided by Carcass, since I do not want to solve questions that might not
do any good. (In my experience GMAT questions are very much different from any other sources, therefore no point in solving them).

> I welcome any suggestions,tips for CR.

Thank you in advance :)
CEO
CEO
D
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: Help needed to devise GMAT Preparation Strategy (2 weeks left)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 04:44
piyush1995 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have my GMAT exam in 2 weeks. I want to know the study strategy I should follow for the 2 weeks.

(My preparation so far)
I started my preparation 3 months back. For quant I didn't do much of a practice since I had a good base because of my engineering background. I have solved OG 2018,17,16 and verbal review (made a few mock tests from the questions) and gave my first GMatPrep.

I was kind of in shock since I always was able to score 50/51 in Quant. Also in verbal I had total of 14 questions wrong (10 SC, 2 CR, 2 RC). I completely shifted my focus on SC and Quant. Unable to find good material for practice I downloaded the GmatPrep question bank provided in the gmatclub. I found the questions extremely relevant and began solving diligently (both Quant and SC).

GMATPrep 2- 770 (Q51, V44), this score is highly inflated since I had solved around 25% of Prep question bank. Nonetheless, now I was quite confident in SC. Started watching thursdays with Ron SC videos. I bought the Exam packs and questions pack. Solved the medium level questions SC and CR from the question pack and gave my 3rd GmatPrep.

(Latest)GmatPrep3 - 750 (Q50, V41) . I had 9 questions wrong in verbal (4 SC, 4 CR, 1 RC) and 5 questions wrong in quant. I think that 5 questions wrong in quant would
lead to around 48 in the actual GMAT. The questions were not repeated this time (except 1 CR).

After analyzing this test I have made the following study plan for the following 2 weeks.

For SC

For CR

For Quant

>From where can I find notes or materials on GMAT Quant tricks and traps. If some one has it, I request you to please share it with me. I think it would definitely

> Is my strategy for SC practice sound. I personally doubt the "Meaning based questions" provided by Carcass, since I do not want to solve questions that might not
do any good. (In my experience GMAT questions are very much different from any other sources, therefore no point in solving them).

Since you are already at a good level as can be seen in your scores in GMAT Prep so I suggest that you stay away from experimenting with a any new set of study material.

Your sole objective of further preparation in the last a few days should be solving tests. If you haven't purchased the Manhattan Test series yet then you may consider buying that and take those tests as those are the best practice tests with a little higher difficulty level GMAT like questions.

Taking one test a day on atlernate days will exhaust your 2 weeks left and you will save yourself from being exposed to bad study material which is available in plenty if you deviate much from the Official resource and manhattan Tests.

GMAT Club tests are really good for Quant practice specially however a few of those questions can really be touch to damage your confidence so you should know that a few wrong questions can't judge your level.

Stick with solving new tests and reviewing all mistakes of previous tests again and again so as to avoid any such mistakes in future.

Hope this helps!!!
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Help needed to devise GMAT Preparation Strategy (2 weeks left)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 04:52
GMATinsight wrote:
piyush1995 wrote:
Hello everyone,

(My preparation so far)

For SC

For CR

For Quant

Since you are already at a good level as can be seen in your scores in GMAT Prep so I suggest that you stay away from experimenting with a any new set of study material.

Your sole objective of further preparation in the last a few days should be solving tests. If you haven't purchased the Manhattan Test series yet then you may consider buying that and take those tests as those are the best practice tests with a little higher difficulty level GMAT like questions.

Taking one test a day on atlernate days will exhaust your 2 weeks left and you will save yourself from being exposed to bad study material which is available in plenty if you deviate much from the Official resource and manhattan Tests.

GMAT Club tests are really good for Quant practice specially however a few of those questions can really be touch to damage your confidence so you should know that a few wrong questions can't judge your level.

Stick with solving new tests and reviewing all mistakes of previous tests again and again so as to avoid any such mistakes in future.

Hope this helps!!!

Thanks a lot for your feedback GMATinsight. However, I did give a few manhattan tests during my initial prep and found their questions to be very different from the ones that usually appear on GMAT. I still have 3 GmatPrep tests left which I will spread over the 2 weeks, and maybe 1/2 manhattan tests.

Can you please tell me if you have any sources related to a compilation of gmat quant tricks and pitfalls?
CEO
CEO
D
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 07:11
piyush1995 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
piyush1995 wrote:
Hello everyone,

(My preparation so far)

For SC

For CR

For Quant

Hope this helps!!!

Thanks a lot for your feedback GMATinsight. However, I did give a few manhattan tests during my initial prep and found their questions to be very different from the ones that usually appear on GMAT. I still have 3 GmatPrep tests left which I will spread over the 2 weeks, and maybe 1/2 manhattan tests.

Can you please tell me if you have any sources related to a compilation of gmat quant tricks and pitfalls?

Well I wouldn't say that Manhattan questions are different from GMAT's on any parameter other than difficulty level and number of difficult question.

for the compilation, please refer to the gmat club math book. link below

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-87417.html
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help needed to devise GMAT Preparation Strategy (2 weeks left)   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2018, 07:11

Help needed to devise GMAT Preparation Strategy (2 weeks left)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep