Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72856 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Ulviya wrote:
Why don't you retake it while everything is fresh is memory? and make sure you finish the section - guess if you see that not enough time left - after all you are being penilized doulbe for the questions you didn't reach.
And btw, the score is not bad -should get you in the average business school

All the best
Ulviya

Yes, Ulviya is right, the score is not pathetic, though not very representative of the work done :?
If the rest of the stats are good, you do have a good chance in an average school, though no scholarship. I think those start usually at around 700-730, depending on the school rules....
Founder
Founder
Send PM
scores [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Could you post your raw scores? so that we could know the distribution of the Verbal/Math?

Also, which is easier for you, Verbal or Math? I assume you are a native speaker....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi bb, Ulviya,

the raw scores are Quant: 39, Verbal: 29. Analyzing things, I think I did far worse on the verbal than I had ever done in my practice tests. I am not a native speaker, but almost a native speaker(exposure to English from very early on). My verbal skills in general are pretty good(I write articles for magazines etc.). I did not have time to attempt the questions at the end, but I had time just to click them and go ahead. Also, the funny thing is in the quantitative section, I felt the questions were easy for me till the 20th and then it started getting a little more complicated after 21(This does not match, the curve depicted on this web site on the complexity of math questions on the test). I am wondering whether this is because I screwed up on the early questions or what?
I am definitely going to re-take the text(As I have said, I have put in a lot and I am too unhappy with the results).

Could timing be the issue here, I dont know how good a job I did during the test, as far as time management goes. Also, I did not see any probability questions on the test(though I did see combinations) - and I think I did pretty well on that.

Could you please give me your perspective as to my raw scores. Also on the score report, do they break down how one did in each section(eg SC, RC , CR etc.).

Do you think, if I improve my score significantly, I still have a good chance at the top schools. THe rest of my app should be pretty good.

Thanks a bunch
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
insightia wrote:
Hi bb, Ulviya,

the raw scores are Quant: 39, Verbal: 29. Analyzing things, I think I did far worse on the verbal than I had ever done in my practice tests. I am not a native speaker, but almost a native speaker(exposure to English from very early on). My verbal skills in general are pretty good(I write articles for magazines etc.). I did not have time to attempt the questions at the end, but I had time just to click them and go ahead. Also, the funny thing is in the quantitative section, I felt the questions were easy for me till the 20th and then it started getting a little more complicated after 21(This does not match, the curve depicted on this web site on the complexity of math questions on the test). I am wondering whether this is because I screwed up on the early questions or what?
I am definitely going to re-take the text(As I have said, I have put in a lot and I am too unhappy with the results).

Could timing be the issue here, I dont know how good a job I did during the test, as far as time management goes. Also, I did not see any probability questions on the test(though I did see combinations) - and I think I did pretty well on that.

Could you please give me your perspective as to my raw scores. Also on the score report, do they break down how one did in each section(eg SC, RC , CR etc.).

Do you think, if I improve my score significantly, I still have a good chance at the top schools. THe rest of my app should be pretty good.

Thanks a bunch

Hey, Insightia,

Well, I am not sure what you mean perspective on the Raw Score, but I guess you know from your unofficial report, that those are 59% and 55% respectively, contributing to 61 percentile overall...

Well, the question I have is Do you feel comfortable with any of the sections, question types? (Reason I am asking is I felt very secure on math, and was not too careful with it, and as the result got 92 percentile on it, while being more careful wiht verbal, got 96th).

I knew a person who had your situation. He went through all possible books and materials but had 550. His problem was that he never followed a strategy but one - RUNAWAY. When he would get a test, he would try to run through it as fast as he could, as a person running through the forest for life. His eyes were filled with fear of anohter failure and his hands shaking due to the ticking of the clock.

Do you have a strategy that you follow for math/verbal section?
If so, can you tell me how you deal with CR questions.

Also, from on top of your head how much is 1/8?

Part II
I would say that's one of the main reasons people don't score high enough - time pressure. You have mentioned that you have not finished either of the sections, which is a hit to your score, whether you ran through the problmes and randomly plugged answers or just left it there.
What was the reason you did not finish on time? you spent too much time in the middle?

(one of the answers why the mid quant was difficult is that you may have had only fairly easy questions in the beginning. Your story sounds very contrary to the usual layout. On the other hand, ETS might have had an experiment, who knows)

Part III
Here is the situation you face.... not a very comfortable one: you have worked through all the possible materials and you have answered all the possible questions out there, so, in reality none of the tests you do from now on, will be representative of your score, this makes practice complicated.
I think I will stop here and will wait for your replies to the above questions...

P.S. in the score report they don't break down much. The only additional useful information you get is the AWA score. It is only one sheet of paper that has your name/address/other info, date and gmat score, and schools you sent the report to, if any.
Bogdan.

P.P.S. Your chances to enter a school should be pretty good. Often the admissions can tell you, if they are nice enough, whether your scores are too low and you need to retake the GMAT, but that depends on what school you pick. Some are extremely arrogant and don't want to have anything to do with applicants, which I think is scornful.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1629 [0]
Send PM
Re: Help requested - Terrible GMAT score after loads of prep [#permalink]
insightia wrote:
Hi folks, bb et. al.,

I need some help. I took the GMAT on Friday, and scored 570, after tons of preparation and strategy I like to think. I had completed the OG, redid the last few in each section, worked through all the mistakes I had made the first time. I finished Kaplan, Princeton CDs, Arco(used for Prep and did some tests), 800-score, crack-gmat, some gmat-plus materials, high school math prep, prbability prep from math books. I have a good academic history and a track record of good academic performance(so I am not a totally dumb). I took a month off to prepare and then spent more time (about a month) while working.

I am stumped. please give me your advice. I have worked very hard, I also felt that I strategized as I went along as well. I felt I may have been nervous during the exams( didnt use the verbal strategies as well as I should have), dint manage to ccomplete both sections(V & Q). On practice tests, I could not manage to finish the Quant, but always completed the verbal. I scored mid 550 - 600 in Kaplan tests, around 680-690 in Princeton tests, and did the powerprep unfortunately after OG( obviously I scored fabulously on them). I scored iin late to mid 500s in the crrack-gmat and around 90 percentile in 800 score.

PLEASE HELP and share your insight. I am planning to start over again, perhaps take a kaplan onlijne prep course or something and start again. I have spent close to 2 months in back-breaking preparation and I am really stumped.

Thanks

I know this problem. I think the answer is simple -- you did not work out your weak skills. Many people -- I am not an exception -- hone their strong skills because doing so is comfortable. But weaknesses stay the same, spoiling your score.

I would advise you to spot your weak skills and develop ONLY them, rather than to simply solve yet another thousand of problem. Likewise, I would not advise you to retake the test immediately unless you are currently applying or have a serious reason to believe that you had a bad day on the test. An immediate try may give you even smaller score and so discourage you completely. Reserve 3 to 4 month for working out your weak points and then go ahead.

PS On this site you find a lot of strategies and problems to succeed.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help requested - Terrible GMAT score after loads of prep [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts