GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 12:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HELP! Should I apply in R3 or postpone? (GMAT 700 / Brazilian / 27y)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
HELP! Should I apply in R3 or postpone? (GMAT 700 / Brazilian / 27y)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 12:12
Hi all, thanks in advance for reading this.
I just took the gmat this weekend, and I was planning to apply in the third round for Jan2020 intake.
I'm wondering if I should retake the gmat and delay my application. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Background
Work experience:
1) 4,5 years of risk management at big US bank (think GS, JPM and MS): 3.5 years based in Brazil (local coverage - Analyst and Intern) and 1 year based in US (regional coverage for LATAM - Associate and Analyst); promoted once.
2) 1 year as Business Analyst Intern at start-up in Brazil.
Undergrad school/major:Top Engineering school in Brazil - Bachelor's Degree, Naval Engineering.
Extracurriculars: Volunteer at Endowment Fund of my school (fundraising events and member of finance department); Volunteer in adoption events for Dogs Rescue NGO; Volunteer consultant for tech NGO (4-project focused on competitor analysis and initial recommendation for regional expansion).
Race/nationality/Sex: White/Brazilian/Male
First Generation College Student: Is this relevant for INSEAD?

Stats
Undergrad GPA: Not sure how to convert: 6.3/10 (School provides grade explanation saying that the usual highest mark is 7)
GMAT Score (breakdown): 700 (V35, Q49) ; IR 8

MBA Info
Goal of MBA:
Short-term: Move to consulting (MBB) or IB
Long-term: Not sure yet, maybe move into politics in Brazil.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Re: HELP! Should I apply in R3 or postpone? (GMAT 700 / Brazilian / 27y)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 12:19
Hello fellow compatriot :)

I'm no expert of course but if you really have IB in mind I think you should focus on 20D since it's the only intake you can have a summer internship (and that's crucial for IB).

Once again, I am no expert but I wouldn't retake - unless you are super confident you can get a higher grade. I retook it twice, did worse than my first time both times and ended up applying with my original score - I spent so much additional time, money and stress for nothing. I would just focus on the application!

On the other hand, I am not sure how competitive R3 can get. So let's just wait for the experts to weight in!

boa sorte ;)
Intern
Intern
B
Re: HELP! Should I apply in R3 or postpone? (GMAT 700 / Brazilian / 27y)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 13:22
juralvesf wrote:
Hello fellow compatriot :)

I'm no expert of course but if you really have IB in mind I think you should focus on 20D since it's the only intake you can have a summer internship (and that's crucial for IB).

Once again, I am no expert but I wouldn't retake - unless you are super confident you can get a higher grade. I retook it twice, did worse than my first time both times and ended up applying with my original score - I spent so much additional time, money and stress for nothing. I would just focus on the application!

On the other hand, I am not sure how competitive R3 can get. So let's just wait for the experts to weight in!

boa sorte ;)
Thanks for the quick reply, I sent you an PM..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
MBA Admissions Consultant
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 14:06
Will be happy to answer this for you but I have a few questions. Postponed to when? Another round or September batch? How sure are you about consulting? What other schools are you applying to? Specifically need to know if they are European or if you have any intentions of applying to US schools. And finally what is your percentile breakdown for each section of the GMAT?

http://mbaprepcoach.com
I get applicants into elite MBA programs. What has made me successful is the combination of my coaching, marketing and editing skills. I'm a certified life coach - where the client's desire for a top MBA is the catalyst for their transformation.
Verified reviews posted on https://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 14:38
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Will be happy to answer this for you but I have a few questions. Postponed to when? Another round or September batch? How sure are you about consulting? What other schools are you applying to? Specifically need to know if they are European or if you have any intentions of applying to US schools. And finally what is your percentile breakdown for each section of the GMAT?

Probably postpone to September's batch, I don't think it would be possible to bump my verbal score enough before R4.. Also, I started thinking that R4 would be probably harder than R1 and R2.

I'm pretty sure about consulting, it's basically why I'm applying to business school.

I'm really interested in INSEAD, love the school diversity, the idea to study in 2 different countries and it's just 1 year (more compelling for me).. If I do not get in, I would probably apply just to US Schools (I ahve enough time for a retake in R2)..

GMAT percentiles: Q 74%, V 76%, IR 92%

Thanks for taking the time!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 14:45
There is no harm in applying... why wait?! Worst case you won’t get an admit but learn the process, best case-you’ll get the admit

Posted from my mobile device
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 15:04
MAPP
Okay the reason I asked if you're pretty sure about Consulting is because you mentioned IB and as the previous poster mentioned you must apply January batch for IB. September is okay for Consulting but only for Insead because it is basically a Consulting Factory LOL

INSEAD likes to see 75 percentile for both verbal and Quant and you're close enough. Also your IR score is more than sufficient. Might want to highlight other aspects of your quant background to solidify.

I'm glad that you have a 700 because MBB requires 700 for top 10 schools, 720 top 20.

I think I would agree that you want to go for it with round three, because you're creeping up on being a little old for US schools for consulting recruitment, to wait another year.

And if it doesn't work out you will want to be able to put your full focus behind US and/or Europe early application and R1 September deadlines.

INSEAD application is ginormous and it's really difficult to complete it in tandem with those for other schools. So I would really recommend that you get that application done to your best, get feedback on it and then proceed from there.

So in sum, I don't think they will be worried about your score or quant ability so much but you may be competing against other Brasilians who have stronger quant scores.

And for that reason you will want to put forth a really strong effort with the application all elements of the application: recommendations, essays, video etc and of course your resume. Really devote a lot of time to each of these.

Contemplate how you will separate yourself from other Brazilians, what unique contribution would bring to the class? Are there any special aspects to your background? Of course I would advocate working with a consultant.

Keep in mind the four criteria academics, leadership, contribution, and international orientation. You really want to use the application to drive home what you have to offer with all of these.

I'm not sure what your post MBA career goals are in terms of geography but if INSEAD doesn't work out, and you have any interest in Europe or LATAM recruitment, recommend IESE early round (read: scholarship) I'm a fanatic about the case method and obviously your background would be well-disposed. I can understand having a preference for a one-year program, ( well actually I wouldn't because I feel like that would be way too intense) but the price tag is comparable.

Good luck, get to work!!

I get applicants into elite MBA programs. What has made me successful is the combination of my coaching, marketing and editing skills. I'm a certified life coach - where the client's desire for a top MBA is the catalyst for their transformation.
ARLee Consulting
G
MBA Admissions & Career Coaching by INSEAD alumnus and former Samsung Head of HR. Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE

Affiliations:
INSEAD MBA 11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 15:12
Hi MAPP,

I think your profile is competitive enough to be a successful Round 3 applicant. Your GMAT score is slightly below INSEAD's average, but your Q/V scores meet INSEAD's recommendation to be at least at 70-75th percentile.

INSEAD is not the most re-applicant friendly of schools. Although I have helped several re-applicants get accepted, in most cases, when it comes to INSEAD, you only have one shot. Therefore, if you're confident you can increase your GMAT score, go for it and apply in Round 1 in the next intake (just to be on the "safe" side).

If you are serious about consulting, Jan or Sep intake shouldn't make much of a difference. Unlike for IB, a summer internship is not a must for consulting. That being said though, if you do land a summer internship at a consulting firm and you perform well, you'll most likely get a full-time offer at the end of your internship. This will allow you to enjoy P4 and P5 at their fullest, since you'll already have a job offer.

I'd be very interested in seeing your resume to understand more your career progression during those 4.5 years at the US bank. Feel free to share it (alex@arleeconsulting.com).

I hope this helps.

By the way, I was also a first generation college graduate in my family when I applied to INSEAD. I wouldn't say it adds a whole lot of points, but it is good to let the school know.

Good luck!
Alex

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Check out our REVIEWS on GMAT Club here

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 15:14
JohnJohnJ wrote:
There is no harm in applying... why wait?! Worst case you won’t get an admit but learn the process, best case-you’ll get the admit

I don't need to be Debbie Downer here but I think he is wise to first assess the situation. INSEAD is a huge app..and so adcom is not very warm to reapplicants unless they have a significant jump in GMAT, job responsibilities or International shiz.

I want to caution anybody who is thinking about doing a Hail Mary attempt for January batch and just planning to reapply in September. That's most likely not going to work out.

Keep in mind that when you are replying to a school shortly after your previous application without substantial upgrade of your profile, you're basically telling the admissions committee that they were wrong and that they should go back on their previous decision.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 15:39
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
MAPP
Okay the reason I asked if you're pretty sure about Consulting is because you mentioned IB and as the previous poster mentioned you must apply January batch for IB. September is okay for Consulting but only for Insead because it is basically a Consulting Factory LOL

INSEAD likes to see 75 percentile for both verbal and Quant and you're close enough. Also your IR score is more than sufficient. Might want to highlight other aspects of your quant background to solidify.

I'm glad that you have a 700 because MBB requires 700 for top 10 schools, 720 top 20.

I think I would agree that you want to go for it with round three, because you're creeping up on being a little old for US schools for consulting recruitment, to wait another year.

And if it doesn't work out you will want to be able to put your full focus behind US and/or Europe early application and R1 September deadlines.

INSEAD application is ginormous and it's really difficult to complete it in tandem with those for other schools. So I would really recommend that you get that application done to your best, get feedback on it and then proceed from there.

So in sum, I don't think they will be worried about your score or quant ability so much but you may be competing against other Brasilians who have stronger quant scores.

And for that reason you will want to put forth a really strong effort with the application all elements of the application: recommendations, essays, video etc and of course your resume. Really devote a lot of time to each of these.

Contemplate how you will separate yourself from other Brazilians, what unique contribution would bring to the class? Are there any special aspects to your background? Of course I would advocate working with a consultant.

Keep in mind the four criteria academics, leadership, contribution, and international orientation. You really want to use the application to drive home what you have to offer with all of these.

I'm not sure what your post MBA career goals are in terms of geography but if INSEAD doesn't work out, and you have any interest in Europe or LATAM recruitment, recommend IESE early round (read: scholarship) I'm a fanatic about the case method and obviously your background would be well-disposed. I can understand having a preference for a one-year program, ( well actually I wouldn't because I feel like that would be way too intense) but the price tag is comparable.

Good luck, get to work!!

Thanks for the response!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 15:41
ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi MAPP,

I think your profile is competitive enough to be a successful Round 3 applicant. Your GMAT score is slightly below INSEAD's average, but your Q/V scores meet INSEAD's recommendation to be at least at 70-75th percentile.

INSEAD is not the most re-applicant friendly of schools. Although I have helped several re-applicants get accepted, in most cases, when it comes to INSEAD, you only have one shot. Therefore, if you're confident you can increase your GMAT score, go for it and apply in Round 1 in the next intake (just to be on the "safe" side).

If you are serious about consulting, Jan or Sep intake shouldn't make much of a difference. Unlike for IB, a summer internship is not a must for consulting. That being said though, if you do land a summer internship at a consulting firm and you perform well, you'll most likely get a full-time offer at the end of your internship. This will allow you to enjoy P4 and P5 at their fullest, since you'll already have a job offer.

I'd be very interested in seeing your resume to understand more your career progression during those 4.5 years at the US bank. Feel free to share it (alex@arleeconsulting.com).

I hope this helps.

By the way, I was also a first generation college graduate in my family when I applied to INSEAD. I wouldn't say it adds a whole lot of points, but it is good to let the school know.

Good luck!
Alex
Thanks Alex, I will send my resume in your email!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2019, 20:53
If you're asking whether the GMAT will make or break your app the answer is no. I had a 700 with a mediocre GPA and got in. For context, I only wrote it once four years ago so even my percentiles had dropped. What they're looking for is academic capacity, you just need to communicate how you have that. A 700 is a tick mark in the GMAT section but not a deciding factor unless you have like a 770+ which could mean your interview chances go up significantly. What matters most in my opinion is how cohesive your application is. It is important that your essays, recommendations and goals show why you would be a great INSEAD fit. I would be more concerned if you don't have any of that pat down.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: HELP! Should I apply in R3 or postpone? (GMAT 700 / Brazilian / 27y)   [#permalink] 02 May 2019, 20:53

HELP! Should I apply in R3 or postpone? (GMAT 700 / Brazilian / 27y)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: uc26, pabpinor, MBAPrepCoach