Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Comparisons - MGMAT Problem Set Question [#permalink]
Kudos
alexBLR wrote:
esledge wrote:
Which part do you object to? Would this be more acceptable?

Because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company, Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee.

No, my concern is with parallelism of the
Quote:
works harder
and
Quote:
more creatively

I think there is parallelism here -- there is no word like creativer or something goofy. It has top be more creative!

hard .. harder... hardest
creative .. more creative .. most creative
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Yo Alex man, remember these important rules from the same SC book man!!!!

1) "And" is only a conjunction, joins either nouns or actions being performed by those nouns.
2) Renders plurality, most other conjunctions don't do that.
3) Parallelism is of two types, compare and contrast, and list of things.
4) In lists of things, what follows #2 should be like #2. #1 is still independent.
Ex: I like to walk than running or swim - incorrect. I like to walk than running or swimming - correct (bad example yet, I hope my point is driven!!!)

In the sentence you presented about Hugo, only two things are discussed, parallelism cannot exist there.
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Comparisons - MGMAT Problem Set Question [#permalink]
BarneyStinson wrote:
4) In lists of things, what follows #2 should be like #2. #1 is still independent.
Ex: I like to walk than running or swim - incorrect. I like to walk than running or swimming - correct (bad example yet, I hope my point is driven!!!)

In the sentence you presented about Hugo, only two things are discussed, parallelism cannot exist there.

Watch out, I think your #4 may be a misinterpretation of a rule. You definitely can have parallelism between only two things. As evidence, here's a sentence with only two things that breaks parallelism:

I enjoy ice cream and to run.
Noun does not equal infinitive. This creates a problem because the sentence is set up to be logically completed by a noun: I enjoy _____. You have to be able to put both of the "endings" after the first part of the sentence.

I think you may be recalling situations like this:
I like to eat ice cream and run.
+ We don't have to repeat the "to" for the 2nd infinitive, as it "distributes" (to use a math term) to both bolded words.
+ It's not a problem that "to eat" is followed by an object, but "(to) run" isn't. Maybe I only like to eat ice cream, not other foods. But I like to run in general, not just to certain places or in certain ways. If so, there's a legitimate reason for the words that follow the verbs to differ. The only requirement is that the first part of the parallel structure matches.

swethar wrote:
I think there is parallelism here -- there is no word like creativer or something goofy. It has top be more creative!

hard .. harder... hardest
creative .. more creative .. most creative

Nice! It's parallelism between two comparatives.

Some comparatives can be phrased either way (e.g. funnier = more funny). So for the record, I think either of these would pass the parallelism test:
(1) He is taller and funnier than his brother.
(2) He is taller and more funny than his brother.

(1) would probably be slightly prefered as it is a stricter "match" (both -er comparatives), and has fewer words.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi

1) Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee, because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company.

a) is comparison between Hugos work and anyone in the company?

b) we are comparing hugo work with everyone in the company then we need "superlative here instead of comparative. Is that right.

please explain
Own Kudos [?]: 495 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Education (Education)
Expert Reply
Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee, because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company.

Compound comparison signal is "harder than" and "more creatively than" - this is fine, some comparatives are single words ("harder") and some require the word "more" ("more creatively").

We are comparing Hugo (with the pronoun "he") to anyone else. We don't need a superlative because "anyone" is singular - technically, we're only comparing Hugo to one person at a time. Plus, superlatives only work within the group - i.e. we'd have to say something like "Hugo works the hardest and most creatively out of everyone in the company" (NOT "everyone else in the company") if we wanted to use the superlative.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi

1) Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee, because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company.

comparison signal: "harder than", " more creatively than". The words" harder, creatively" modifying "works". so we are comparing work of hugo with anyone else in the company. where am i missing?. please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Here is one of the practice questions in MGMAT SC Guide (Chap 6).

If the sentence is fine, write correct. If not, correct the errors in the sentence. For an ambiguous sentence, express each possible meaning of the sentence with a correct sentence of your own:

Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee, because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company.

The SC Guide states that this sentence is structured correctly.

I feel the correct version should be "Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee, because he works harder and is more creative than anyone else in the company"

Reason : creativity is a more of a personality trait and hence it is not correct to say "Hugo works more creatively". "Hugo is more creative" feels right to me. Thoughts ?

Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
srinivasosuri wrote:
Here is one of the practice questions in MGMAT SC Guide (Chap 6).

If the sentence is fine, write correct. If not, correct the errors in the sentence. For an ambiguous sentence, express each possible meaning of the sentence with a correct sentence of your own:

The SC Guide states that this sentence is structured correctly.

I feel the correct version should be "Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee, because he works harder and is more creative than anyone else in the company"

Reason : creativity is a more of a personality trait and hence it is not correct to say "Hugo works more creatively". "Hugo is more creative" feels right to me. Thoughts ?

Thanks !

I think both are grammatically correct. "Huge works more creatively" describes how Hugo works while "Huge is more creative" describes his personality. There is a slight difference in meaning since a person can work creatively but may not be creative as a whole. On the actual GMAT, there would be at least 1 more difference between the two choices that would include a grammatical mistake.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
"Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee, because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company"

The MGMAT SC Guide states that this sentence is structured correctly.

Reason : creativity is a more of a personality trait and hence it is not correct to say "Hugo works more creatively". "Hugo is more creative" feels right to me.

Thoughts ?
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
It's fine to say that someone works 'creatively' (you could also say that a child 'plays creatively', or that a performance was 'directed creatively', etc.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Operations (Health Care)
Send PM
So this is from the MGMAT Sentence Correction book but I fail to understand how this sentence is correct when the comparison is between an employee's attributes to other employees attributes yet this sentence is correct as per MGMAT.

"Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee, because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company".

Shouldn't this instead be - because he works harder and more creatively than DOES anyone else in the company??

Trying to understand what I'm missing here.

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
SKas07 wrote:
So this is from the MGMAT Sentence Correction book but I fail to understand how this sentence is correct when the comparison is between an employee's attributes to other employees attributes yet this sentence is correct as per MGMAT.

"Hugo is widely acknowledged to be our best employee, because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company".

Shouldn't this instead be - because he works harder and more creatively than DOES anyone else in the company??

Thanks,

Just my 2 cents : I think we can definitely understand what the sentence tells us about. No ambiguity even when you don't write down the "DOES".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
SKas07 wrote:

Thanks,

Dear SKas07 , you might check this following link : https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/repeating-verb-phrases-on-the-gmat/
Coincidently this morning I read about this wonderful explanation, I think it can answer your question.

Good luck :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
So, on MGMAT prep page 100, a question asks whether "Hugo is widely acknowledged as our best employee because he works harder and more creatively than anyone else in the company" is correct.

I thought it should have been "he works harder and more creatively than anyone else DID in the company" but the book says the original is good.

I saw some other examples that did require the latter part of a comparative structure to match the action. So where do we draw the line?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts